Is it illegal for children to be naked in their own backyard? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, im new to this site and dont really know how it works. Obviously there are very opinionated people who would like to project their own views on to others (evan&annas mom) its not for me so i will not be coming back to these forums but just for uour information, i have a son too so my daighter has no issues with knowing what a penis is and the difference between boys and girls or even nudity. It is my issue with older boys, who are not related to my child.
#32 of 34 Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM

I too have been thinking about this as my kids like to run outside naked in the warm weather and my neighbor commented a few years ago that it made her girls uncomfortable. Im going to comment only because i can see i am the only dissenter.....

I would have zero problem with other peoples kids naked, it is perfectly fine/nonsexual for kids this age to do so, however, although it is our "right" i have decided to gently remind them to throw on some shorts, or at the least briefs since we have neighbors who we care about their feelings.

Im thinking its good to teach them to be courteous to the feeling of others even if we dont agree. Also that in general its cool to cover our privates around non-family. And really, its no big deal to grab some shorts!

I am the first person to to breastfeed in public, natural birth, speak my mind, and support others right to do so, because these are choices that are important and Im unconcerned if others dont like it. But if i can be caring towards someone else without it being a detriment to me, why not, kwim? I.e. when i bf around uptight people, i dont hide under a cover or apologize for an accidental errant boob, but i do make some effort to be discreet, because i want to, not because i 'have' to.
Melissa i think its understandable if youd rather not have your daughter constantly watching nudity and you could totally say something in a nice way....i would i definitely ignore an incident here or there but if it all the time i get it.
#33 of 34 Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 PM

By the way, i might phrase your request as it making your daughter uncomfortable rather than you....for most moms the last thing we would want is to make a child feel bad in their own backyard....
#34 of 34 Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I am with on with you on this. I hate that a naked child is seen as something "wrong" or "shameful" in our culture. I guess we have the Puritans to thank for that. I also don't believe there is a pedophile hiding in the bushes just waiting for a naked child to appear. The sad truth about child abuse is that it occurs mostly within families by supposed trusted caretakers. That being said, the behavior of these neighbors seems odd. Why are they so offended by naked children? Wierd. I wouldn't trust them as much as I could throw them.

My husband comes from a culture where nudity is not acceptable. It's not puritan.  Not for kids, not for anyone, and especially not where they can be seen, regardless of whether they are on their own property.  While I'm not AT ALL in agreement with this, and while I think the lady who approached the OP overreacted and probably needs a betchslap, I personally would just try to fit in to my neighborhood and not draw attention to myself and/or my kids because of such an issue. It's not a big deal for them to wear clothes and make the freaky neighbor calm down.  There are just some battles I personally would rather pass on and it has to be a decision for each mom.  

Tags
Child , Neighor

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page