Unusual baby names - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have Pandora Moonlilly and Nevermore Stargazer. Sil has Tomorrow Rain. Dh's poor dad lol.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandriakyger View Post

Finneus Ouroborous (or-obo-rus) Both husband and I are very pale. Finneus means "fair" or if spelt with a Ph means "the oracle" and Ouroborous is a symbol of a serpent eating its own tail used to symbolize the eternal cycle of life and rebirth or something that eternally recreates itself. Please for humanity stay away from the top 100 names. We are drowning in conformity. :|

People should actually feels free to choose whatever names work for them and their families. I assure you no harm will come to humanity, and there are plenty of arguments in favor of more traditional names.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post

One of my sisters has a Jacen (nn Jace) and a London and my other sister has a Gavin.  She thought she was being original but now there are Gavins everywhere!

I think of Gavin as a classic name, and a lot of those came back into prominence in the 90s.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHinJersey View Post

People should actually feels free to choose whatever names work for them and their families. I assure you no harm will come to humanity, and there are plenty of arguments in favor of more traditional names.

Ditto that. There's nothing right or wrong in choosing a child's name - traditional or non. How does it hurt anyone if a parent chooses a more traditional name? Both of my kids have them - Andrew George (aka Andie; patron saints of Russia and England - my and his Dad's heritage) and Catherine Anne (aka Cat; for both grandparents). I'm not telling people they shouldn't name their kids whatever they choose to - why should they tell me how I should (have) name(d) my kids? SMH.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Love those names! They sound like royalty.

maybe some people discount the deep meaning people take from culturally relevant or ancestral names. My son's middle name is Emanuel...both a good Hebrew name and his grandfather's.

Some people value uniqueness for its own sake, and I say great. Others value common bonds and tradition more. Neither is "right."
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM

If you call your wee one an Irish name outside of Ireland be prepared for them to have a lifetime of spelling and repeating their names. Irish names can be hard - i know a girl called aoife and she now just has eefa on her biz card. Beautiful name but hard work.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Agree...knew a guy named Eoin in grad school. People always wanted to pronounce it Eowyn like the Tolkien character. Imagine mixing up Irish with Old English! The idea...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving toward View Post

If you call your wee one an Irish name outside of Ireland be prepared for them to have a lifetime of spelling and repeating their names. Irish names can be hard - i know a girl called aoife and she now just has eefa on her biz card. Beautiful name but hard work.

Parents really should think this stuff through a little better. Unless you are living in a very large metropolitan area, many unusual names just don't pass. it's frustrating for kids to say and spell their name out to everyone or endure being called the wrong name just because you don't want to make trouble.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Some names I've come across,
Blade
Pepper
Trae
Paven
Zuriel

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Some fun names here ^.  I love thoughtful names- common or uncommon.  I think it is funny that some of the names that people select because they believe they are unique end up on "the top 100" in a couple of years (like Jayden in its various spellings).  It is the irony of everyone trying to be unique together.  Names cycle in some strange reminder of our group consciousness.  I felt pang the 1st couple of times I saw that other people (here on mothering) had Junipers, but I still love the name and it suits my LO.

The names we pick should mean something to us and seem like something our children would be proud to wear, but we sometimes can't picture what nicknames or associations will come up about our kids names.  I got made fun of for my name.  My mom picked what she thought was a beautiful and unique name (Darth) and 2 years later George Lucas named the evil ruler of the Universe the same thing.  I figure people making fun of my name may have kept them from making fun of my face.  Kids find something.  For my husband and I, naming both of our girls was months of discussing and trying to find common ground.  DD1 wanted to weigh in on her little sis too.  Someone above said her son wanted their baby to be named Rainbow.  My DD was hoping for Iris (who represents the rainbow in greek myth) or Ruby.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM

I like Rainbow.. And Arwin... Also Poet and a few other nontraditional girls names... We were told first we had a boy so we were going to name him Augustus. Now that we are having a girl we have no idea! My SO is on a mountain working and has alot of time to think.. So far he came up with Bebe.. I dont like it.. Naming is hard!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Yea it's funny, I thought Cole was so unique 10 years ago, yea right! At least it is me & DHs names smashed together.... So I prob still woulda chose it even if I had known it was way more common than I thought

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyfsunshine View Post

I like Rainbow.. And Arwin... Also Poet and a few other nontraditional girls names... We were told first we had a boy so we were going to name him Augustus. Now that we are having a girl we have no idea! My SO is on a mountain working and has alot of time to think.. So far he came up with Bebe.. I dont like it.. Naming is hard!

What about Augusta? 

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Country Girl View Post

Some fun names here ^.  I love thoughtful names- common or uncommon.  I think it is funny that some of the names that people select because they believe they are unique end up on "the top 100" in a couple of years (like Jayden in its various spellings).  It is the irony of everyone trying to be unique together.  Names cycle in some strange reminder of our group consciousness.  I felt pang the 1st couple of times I saw that other people (here on mothering) had Junipers, but I still love the name and it suits my LO.
The names we pick should mean something to us and seem like something our children would be proud to wear, but we sometimes can't picture what nicknames or associations will come up about our kids names.  I got made fun of for my name.  My mom picked what she thought was a beautiful and unique name (Darth) and 2 years later George Lucas named the evil ruler of the Universe the same thing.  I figure people making fun of my name may have kept them from making fun of my face.  Kids find something.  For my husband and I, naming both of our girls was months of discussing and trying to find common ground.  DD1 wanted to weigh in on her little sis too.  Someone above said her son wanted their baby to be named Rainbow.  My DD was hoping for Iris (who represents the rainbow in greek myth) or Ruby.

technically, Darth Vader is second in command of the Galaxy.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
How about:
Creed
Drezdyn
Lowell (means bear)
Lyric
Caleb
Maverick
Oliver
Chase
Jeremiah
Mack

For girls:
Sage
Joy
Genesis
Willow
Ariel
Aspen
Autumn
Heaven
Rayna
Burgundy
Hazel
Amethyst

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM

My name is Rigel & my sister is named Lyrica. Lyrica is now the name of a pain med, so that is annoying for her to have people comment on all the time. No one has ever picked on us for our names, but I get so tired of constantly having to explain how to pronounce it, what it means, everyone always wants me to spell it, or explain "why" I have it (um, idk, it's just my name). It's just annoying. I do like that I have an unusual name, and I think it's kinda cool that I've never met anyone with the same name as me. I decided I wanted a name that was a less unusual for DD, so we ended up naming her Petra. I like that she isn't going to have 10 other kids with the same name as her in her class, but people don't make a big issue out of her name like they do with mine.  

I recently read that in some countries they have a very limited number of approved names, like just a few thousand, and you aren't allowed to name your kid one that's not on the list, or to name a girl a name from the boy list or a boy from the girl list. Does anyone know if that's true? 

Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStelle View Post

My name is Rigel & my sister is named Lyrica. Lyrica is now the name of a pain med, so that is annoying for her to have people comment on all the time. No one has ever picked on us for our names, but I get so tired of constantly having to explain how to pronounce it, what it means, everyone always wants me to spell it, or explain "why" I have it (um, idk, it's just my name). It's just annoying. I do like that I have an unusual name, and I think it's kinda cool that I've never met anyone with the same name as me. I decided I wanted a name that was a less unusual for DD, so we ended up naming her Petra. I like that she isn't going to have 10 other kids with the same name as her in her class, but people don't make a big issue out of her name like they do with mine.  

I recently read that in some countries they have a very limited number of approved names, like just a few thousand, and you aren't allowed to name your kid one that's not on the list, or to name a girl a name from the boy list or a boy from the girl list. Does anyone know if that's true? 
Not sure but I know there was a couple in brazil trying to call there girl moata and to get some sort of petition to prove it was a real name. It's very common in nz
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Love this thread. Like someone upthread said, I love to write short stories so I keep a notebook of names for my characters. I love unusual names, names from other countries/cultures, nontraditional names, and differently spelled common names. Names are so personal and almost every parent takes great thought in naming their children. My name is highly unusual so maybe that's why I feel that way. I love names like Tomorrow, Blue, Thursday, Winter, and gender swap names. However, I'm adopting and that is influencing my list. My favorite names in my circle of friends are Zariah (girl) and Xaviera (girl).

Edited for grammar

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM

I love my daughters name, Xochitl Tonantzin. Xochitl means flower, and her middle name is the name of many Aztec goddesses, but we choose the one of "Mother Earth." She is also believed to be a crossover to the Virgin of Guadalupe . Catholic stuff for my husband. For me, Mother Earth :)

I knew a baby adopted from Ethiopia named Zamira. And actually just met a girl named Zahra. 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM

We named our first son after my Dad... Seabrook. It has been carried down in the family but very different. I love it!!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 PM

I don't like Mercedes but Arizona could be nice ..

Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM

My favorite unusual names

Girls:

Etta

Analia

Alara

Saoirse

Lyra

Boys:

Tenzin

Tavin

Talon

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyfsunshine View Post

My cousin was named Ruby and her nickname ws Bebe! 

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM

My name is Gwyneth, and my kids are Catharina and Peter. I love old fashioned names that are nowhere near being "popular". Here are some of my favorites:

Girls

Agnetha

Anneliese

Beatrix

Klara

Guinevere

Lyra

Magda

Theodosia

Hazel

Boys

Arthur

Walter

Magnus

Oskar

Leopold

Linus

Ezra

Eliezer

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:

unless you want to name your kid after the crappiest state capital in America, I'd vote nay.

Hmm. Thats an interesting perspective. When i think of names like Augusta, or Georgia, or Savannah i think of old Southern belle type names but not necessarily the PLACE itself. I see "Augusta" as the female version of August or Augustus. When i suggested it, it was only because i found it surprising that someone who was going to name a son Augustus had no idea what to name the child if she's a girl...even though there is a female version of the name that is essentially the same name. To each their own of course. I guess it just goes to show that what an individual associates with the name is more important than the actual name in determining whether its a "good" or "Bad" name for a child. 

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Members, keep in mind that even if we are just tossing names around, naming a child is a deeply personal and sensitive issue. I have removed a post and sent a PM. Check your inbox before posting, please. See the UA for guidance on how to post as a member of this community. 

Carry on...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

Hmm. Thats an interesting perspective. When i think of names like Augusta, or Georgia, or Savannah i think of old Southern belle type names but not necessarily the PLACE itself. I see "Augusta" as the female version of August or Augustus. When i suggested it, it was only because i found it surprising that someone who was going to name a son Augustus had no idea what to name the child if she's a girl...even though there is a female version of the name that is essentially the same name. To each their own of course. I guess it just goes to show that what an individual associates with the name is more important than the actual name in determining whether its a "good" or "Bad" name for a child. 

I was thinking of Augusta, Maine. Just a little joke. 

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM

I like Irish / Gaelic names, but I agree that it would might be difficult for kids who don't live in diverse areas. It doesn't seem to bother my kids, but we live in a major metropolitan area, with lots of immigrants from the UK, and even when people aren't familiar with the actual names we've used, they are used to dealing with names from other cultures.

Names we've used / like:

Boys:
Seamus
Hamish
Diarmuid
Lochlan
Aodhan

Girls:
Sinead
Aisling
Roisin
Aoife
Ariene

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I wouldn't go this route with my kids, but the book-series-turned-television-series Game of Thrones has some really beautiful names. Here are some of them:

Boys:

Tyrion

Tywin

Stannis

Bran

Theon

Joffrey

Samwell

Eddard

Khal

Drogo

Baelish

Tyrell

Girls:

Cersei

Daenerys

Melisandre

Sansa

Arya

Talisa

Ygritte

Shae

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of Augusta, Maine. Just a little joke. 

I didnt even know there IS an "Augusta, Maine" lol.

User Tag List