Unusual baby names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

So, we've been tossing around an idea to put together some sort of resource for baby names. There are lots out there that are the usual names and all over the web. We'd love to come up with something more interesting. So - unusual baby names. So let's share what names we've come across or have in our families.  smile.gif

I always thought Arizona and Mercedes were unusual names. Kenda is another I've come across. 

Anyone have unusual names to share?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
While Arizona is not my style, I do appreciate that it is easy to say and easy to spell.

Names that are too unusual don't do well here in the States. One of my acquaintances named her kid Uri, which is great in Israel I guess but here folks keep likening it to urine. Not okay.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Arizona, and when my daughter was in kindergarten she had a classmate named Arizona. Arizona's older sister was Kenya (like the country). I'm not aware that anyone teased these girls about their names, at least at that age. It was simply a fact.

Mercedes is not as unusual in my area, though some people see it as "ghetto" or "trashy".
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Paloma (means "dove", symbolizing peace) is fairly common in Spanish and Italian, less so in English. But still easy to pronounce and spell for someone who never heard it before.

I love the sound of the word Calliope, but probably would not saddle a kid with that.

I met a little boy named Callahan the other day, and thought how well it would go through different ages and styles - a 7 YO, a teen football player or rock musician, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company or an organic farmer, a grandfather - almost anyone could carry that name well.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Names from my circle (colored the sex of the child):

Genoveva (Spanish name, nicknamed Genie), Rylan, Afton, Daschel, Kiefer, Arcadia, Colt, Lavender, Embry, Zeza, Soleo, and Corgan.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM

We just named our new daughter Luna Claire. My mom thinks its kinda weird but she'll get used to it! I labored all night with the full moon- it seemed to fit! I'm not worried about her being teased. There's a lot of diversity in names where we live.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM

I am totally a name collector. I used to write short stories in high school, and I had notebooks of names that I wanted to use for characters, which is sort of coming in handy now that we are expecting. Some of my favorites hubs has vetoed or I just know our families would cringe are in the first list, and most come from either Irish or Greek origins or just sorta mixed together myself.

Boys:

Imriel, Xilades (zee-lah-dehs), Faolan (pronounced fow-lan, kinda rhymes with ow-man)

Girls:

Aoife (pronounced ee-FAH), Aesil (ay-sil), Lirael, Kelai'ah

Our frontrunners for boy names that we may actually use are:

Royal Artaxerxes (Royal is my grandpa's name, and Artaxerxes just sounds really cool and strong with it)

Xysan Royal (Xylis is DH's name and nickname is Xy, so it's Xy's son, lol. pronounced zeye-son))

Xantes Royal (pronounced zahn-tays, inspired by Dantes from The Count of Monte Cristo)

Our girl names aren't so unique, Kjirsten Kai or a mash-up of the great-grandma's names Mayrah Joyithee or Mayrah TheaJoy (from Mayo & Sarah and Joyce & Dorothy).

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not super unusual but I had students who were sisters named Georgia and Carolina which I thought was cute.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM

My first son's name is Praetorian. That's unusual.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finneus Ouroborous (or-obo-rus) Both husband and I are very pale. Finneus means "fair" or if spelt with a Ph means "the oracle" and Ouroborous is a symbol of a serpent eating its own tail used to symbolize the eternal cycle of life and rebirth or something that eternally recreates itself. Please for humanity stay away from the top 100 names. We are drowning in conformity. :|
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM

Our younger daughter is named Luthien, and she's the only one we know. Her name comes from The Lord of the Rings. We adopted our elder daughter, Kathryn, and thus we didn't get to name her, but she likes having such a dignified name, and the spelling is unusual. If we had a son, we thought of naming him Astyanax ("star-fingered"); it's from The Iliad. However, he might have gotten sick of pronouncing it for people! 

In general, we like unique names. In response to concerns about being teased for an unusual name, I'd say that children pick all kinds of things for which to tease one another, and being named Joe or Mary doesn't confer immunity. However, I think it's important to determine if the child is likely to get stuck with an embarrassing nickname, and some names are just too gimmicky for me--especially if they're coined by Hollywood stars!

Naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, writer, avid commuting cyclist and community-theater performer; joyful mother of Kathryn (adopted summer 2011) lady.gifand Luthien (born 11.30.12babyf.gif), and guardian of seven feline ascended masterscat.gif!

weadopted.gifbuddamomimg1.pngbftoddler.giffamilybed1.gif namaste.gifcd.giftrekkie.gif 

Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 PM

I like behindthename.com as a resource. It's focused on name etymology. 

Some I like are

Aveline

Avril

Alathea (truth)

Adalaida would nice, except I always get that song stuck in my head....

Ainsley

Azalea

Basil

Blaze

Calanthe (kal-AN-thee, beautiful flower)

Cale (dog)

Cassarrah (etymology behind this one is dumb :))

Elincia

Estelle (star)

Estrella (star)

Astra (star)

Esther is growing on me too (star or Ishtar)

Estera (star/Ishtar)

Gale/Gail

Normally, I'd like Gaye/Gae, but... :(

Gallahad

Gloria... tempted to name a daughter this and call her Glory... 

Gloriana

Jacinda (hyacinth)

Idris (lord)

Jaylyn/Jaylin (doesn't really mean anything)

June (as an English name, it's derived from the goddess Juno, but I believe it's the same pronunciation as Juun, Japanese for innocent.) 

Iris (rainbow)

Lucian, if you pronounce it like LU-see-an.

I would like Micaiah, but I can't stand the etymology 

Petra (stone)

Selene (moon)

Shae/Shaye (admirable, hawk-like)

Wren

Xanthe (blond) (nobody will pronounce this correctly)

Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 AM

Our girls have traditional, classic names but we ended up picking somewhat less common, Gaelic names for our two boys: Taegan for our first son and Kaelan for the baby.  It has always been a little tricky naming our babies, needing to find names that we liked and were readily pronounceable in both languages (German and English).  Many names we liked, we didn't care for the pronunciation in one language or the other (usually English). 

intactlact.gif  Mum to five kids ages 16, 13, 9 and 4 years and baby K born 11/12!  And five angel babies angel1.gif
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I always liked Cecily for a girl, but I had only sons.  It's not too wierd, but I've never met a Cecily. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I just named my youngest DS Solomon, not crazy unusual, but not common either ;-)
My 3 other kids call him Solo for short, DH calls him Sully. My mom jokingly called him salmon once

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 05-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Several of my kid's names are unique

Kyler  (boy)

Keaton  (boy) 

Anastasia (adopted girl so we kept birth name)

Baylor  (boy)

Brynlie (girl)

Rawley  (boy)

Levi  (boy)

Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have an Ursa Luna (a bear showed up and looked in our door just after her birth) and luna because of the moon that night

and Saule (lithuanian word for sun, her dad is lithuanian) Poppy (because she was born under the costa rican sun, and she can thrive anywhere like a poppy). 

I have a sun and a moon :) 

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM

My kids names...

Harvest George

Esther Maple

Phlip Joseph (but we call him Pippin or Pip)

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM

My son is Porter and my daughter is Cecelia. My niece is Mara. I don't know that they are unusual names, but they don't seem to be very common at the moment. I have a friend with a boy named Maverick Dean, and I jut met a little boy named Judah.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

We have Eden Raine dd, Brett Edwin ds1; Edwin for Great grandfather and Brantley Albert ds2; Albert for other great grandfather.  I always liked Meadow and Ada for girls.  Boys I like Ari, Ryder, Kellen.  My name being Autumn was very unusual when I was growing up, now it's pretty common.

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

I also have a friend with two little girls named Edith and Agnes.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM

Our little girl born 3/13/13 is named Annika Juniper, but we call her Kiki!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 PM

My son's name is Felyx Turbo. I'm pregnant with our 2nd right now. We haven't decided on a boy name yet, but if this baby is a girl her name will be Faye Shadow.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Well my son is Trenton Nicholas Taylor and my daughter is Graelyn (gray lyn) Pepper Kay. lol

~Melissa
I've got a son named Trenton born Sept 15th, 2009 and a daughter named Graelyn born November 27th, 2012. Plus three furbabies, Thomas the cat, Chester the rabbit, and Henry the dog.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 PM

My sister named her son's with different middle names of Danger and one named Lightning.

My youngest son is named ***** which I have never met one before yet.

Pregnant and looking for unique names I like reading everyone's responses. ***** thinks our baby should be named Rainbow!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 PM

For Girls:
Kyran (pronounced kai-ren)
Kyala (pronounced kai-ay-la)
Lazrin
Knightley
Ryann
Remington (nickname "Remy")
Aislyn
Willa

Boys:
Zinn
Paxton
Britain
Chili
Nevan
Jagger
Kade
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Some from my kids and circle of friends:

Cedar

Tobias

Savanna

Meadow

Solan

Ocean

Mojave

Solana

Raina

Zara

Zaila

Summit

Rhythm

Kayin

Stella, wild and gentle mama to Toby(12/14/04), Cedar(8/17/08), Luca (3/15/14), and one on the way!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 AM

I really liked Everest for a boy, but we had 2 girls.  I also like Vitali (Russian).

My daughters are Adiya Janis and Juniper Lee.  My real name is Darth Ann (so I could not name them something too common).

I saw another Juniper on this list and I know that is not terribly uncommon, but I love it.

I also saw Calliope on the list, which I thought about for DD1 and Iris, which I thought about for DD2.

We also thought about Echo (which is classic greek, but sounded a bit too hippy for us).  I like Clementine, though it was a bit much for my husband.

I personally like unique names that are still fairly phonetic for English speakers.  I don't really go for unique spellings of near common names.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My babies are Judah, Galilee, and Shiloh. ( Bible place names ).

Other names that were on our list:

Boys:
Silas
Kerith
Adriel
Naphtali
Elias
Elisha
Ezra
Jared
Micah
Seth
Canaan
Rhodes
Abel

Girls:
Ariel
Kerith
Bethany
Moriah
Keturah
Magdala
Magdalen
Haven
Dagny
Tindra
Maja/meja
Kiersten
Linnea
Novalie
Elin
Johanna
Lovisa
Mira
Berea
Tirza
Cana
Mesha
Petra

Rarely used Biblical names and Scandinavian names

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil323 View Post
 Faolan (pronounced fow-lan, kinda rhymes with ow-man)

My 8yo is Bram Faolan. :)  But we pronounce it FEH-lahn.  We've yet to meet another Bram though.  We chose well because my ex and DS have a super common last name.

My DF and I are TTC and Tika is at the top of our list for a girl.  Lore, Rune, and Bell are possible middle names.  I've also always loved Rook but that was going to be DS's name if he were a girl so it was mine and my ex's girl name.  It would seem wrong to use it now.  

For boys I like both Simon and Silas.  DF likes Alistor/Alistair.

One of my sisters has a Jacen (nn Jace) and a London and my other sister has a Gavin.  She thought she was being original but now there are Gavins everywhere!

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

User Tag List