Hey Mamas!!! Help this Papa out... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to do something special for my wifey.  Could some of you Mamas provide a little insight and suggestions on what would make my lovely wife smile.  She works so hard as home engineer, I would like to make her feel appreciated and special.  

#2 of 8 Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 PM

What are some things that she likes?  Hints that she's dropped?  I know one this I appreciate the most is time to be Me, not Mommy.  I miss being just a person sometimes.

ronart likes this.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 8 Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I hope this does not come off the wrong way, but when I play with our little one and she has time it seems like she spends it doing chores.  She is a busy body with always some task that needs completing.  Sometimes she takes the time to do her hair.  I am looking for more concrete suggestions.  I know I can increase the amount of times I do a random foot massage, but I want something creative.  Thanks for the reply.  Keep the thoughts pouring in.

#4 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Can you make her leave the house?  I know for myself I feel obligated to do chores while The Hubby watches the kids, but what I really want to do is go buy more fabric.

A romantic night is always appreciated.  Sheepish.gif

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#5 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate your continued feedback.  So one issue we have is that we currently live 45 miles from civilization.  Our home is isolated down a 3 mile dirt road in the middle of the forest right on a beautiful river.  She takes walks and plays outside with our little one all day, so taking a walk in the woods is not out of the ordinary.  Forcing her into town is more of a chore than a pleasure.  

I like the romantic night idea.  My fear is that when we put our little one down she only has an hour or so to herself before she crashes for the night or he wakes up and she is working to sooth his soul.  That hour is very precious to her as it is one of the few times she has to herself.  Perhaps I try something romantic in the AM on a weekend.

#6 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM

It's hard to say what your wife might like without knowing her. Personally, I like when my husband says, "Why don't you go take a nap?" orngbiggrin.gif

Some people always like to be doing something. My granny is like that; she's much rather be making a pie, or restoring some museum piece than watching TV. If that's the case with your wife, you might try steering her towards a hobby rather than chores. What did she like to do before you had kids? Would she really appreciate a gift certificate to an arts & crafts store? Tickets to a comic book convention? New photography equipment? Gym membership? Some of my friends like to go to a painting & wine class. It's a one time thing (not weekly or anything), where they help you paint a picture and you drink. It's supposed to be fun. smile.gif

There are also some in between options, like a spa day (or even just an appointment to get her hair and nails done), movie tickets, new video game, new book or magazine subscription (with quiet time for reading) or girls' night out.

If you can get a sitter, date night is always a good option. I love spending time with my husband, even if it's just dinner and drinks. smile.gif

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#7 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Ah, I just saw your post about being far away from things. A lot of the suggestions I made can be adapted. For example, if she has a hobby that she hasn't done in a while, instead of buying her a gift certificate or suggesting she take a class, you could buy her some materials, or a book, or a magazine about her hobby that she can enjoy during her downtime. Or you could buy her some nail polish, or a home spa kit, if she enjoys that sort of thing. Obviously a new movie, book, magazine, or video game could easily be enjoyed at home during a short free time. smile.gif

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#8 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Another option is for you and your son to leave the house. You could take him for a bike ride or a hike. I know personally that I feel refreshed if I have the house to myself for a bit. Even if I am doing chores somehow being baby free in a usually "baby zone" is refreshing and motivating for me to journal or make a phone call or just zone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page