Train Travel - Have you done it? Would you do it again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Two summers ago we took the train from Portland, OR to Denver, CO.  I loved it.  The only complaint I had was after several days of travel, the meal selections were a bit lackluster, and not great if you have any food allergies/intolerances.

I really want to do more train travel.

Has anyone else done a trip like that?  How did your kids like it? Would you do it again?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We did many years ago with a 2 year old and 6 month old. I think it was 2 days, 2 nights. I would do it again. The only problem was sleeping in the seats because we didn't get a cabin. The kids actually did good with the sleeping, I was uncomfortable.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#3 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend and her family have taken Amtrak several times and they love it. They pack lots of games and snacks to keep the kids busy. They also enjoy looking out the window. They sit in coach and she said the kids sleep fine and her and her hubby sleep okay. It's much cheaper for her to take the train than to fly since kids pay half price. Their ride is 28 hours.
We hope to try it at some point when the little one is a bit bigger.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#4 of 5 Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We've done shorter, scenic trips by train. They have been less than a day. I find them fairly comfortable because you can move around and stretch your legs. I enjoy the scenery and the whole experience. 

The only negative that really bothers me are problems with other passengers, but that happens with bus, air or boat travel too. 

We've looked into longer, overnight train travel but have always been limited by time, and to a certain extent, finances. I can usually find a less expensive air fare when I compare the cost of train travel. Given the cost, if we use the train, it would have to become part of the vacation experience, not just a means to get to our destination.

#5 of 5 Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have family on the east coast and this is something that I've considered to save money (though it would add a significant amount of time to our trip).

I'm curious to read about other people's experiences.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page