Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#63 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronart View Post

Yes, I have been controlling.  Initially I didn't want people to post advise as it was impossible for anyone on here to provide anything of use given they do not know the constructs of the relationship I have with my partner.  I was asking for people to post their experiences.  I was frustrated and therefore as you see it "argumentative" when people failed to understand the intent of my post by posting specific suggestions.  I am not sure where you think I am resistant to ideas, as even those who still posted specific items that did not apply, I still have attempted to implement them to my circumstance.  

I have a strong personality.  In my professional life I am passionate and if need be argumentative.  I know people I work with who do exactly as you say so they can avoid investing the time and energy needed to advocate for themselves.  Who I am at work versus as home is not the same person.  There are times my partner and I do debate serious issues and we get passionate and argumentative (in a very respectful manner), but my partner is not one to fold in the heat of discussion.  She is far from a timid person.  If anything, I tend to be the one who "folds" before she does.

In terms of how you portray my online personality so be it.  I think it is important to be honest at all times, even if the honesty hurts.  However if the honest hurts, it is good to be tactful.  I will say I have not been the most tactful person in this thread.  

Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

"I despised my mother so much for behaving the same way and making me that anxious child"

For what it is worth.  Forgive your mother, it is the only way to heal your soul.  Find a way to stop blaming her for "making you anxious" and take responsibility for your own feelings.  Open your eyes to who has the control in your life... YOU.  Best of luck with your journey.  

Your children must be young indeed if you haven't started seeing that the way a parent acts affects how children feel.  I stated that I was anxious as a child and it broke my heart to see her anxious in the same way, not that I blame my mother or am anxious now.  I think people who blame their parents for who they are as adults are silly but I think people who see their children hurting and don't try to change it when they can are abusive so I chose to change how I was behaving because I recognized what she was going through, not because I despise my mother now (hence the "ed" ending).  My mother, like all mother's did the best she could but your focus on that wasn't a real focus, it was an attempt to manipulate me and other people who read it into thinking that my post was about something it wasn't.   

Being able to debate an issue with someone not the same as being willing to open up about your feelings when you know it is just going to end with your feelings being hurt and your partner insisting you are wrong and twisting your words.  Debating an issue isn't a very intimate thing, people do it on the radio all the time and they don't go off and live together happily afterwards.  Opening up about what truly matters to us is something only people who feel they will be safe from emotional harm.  The level of aggression you show in each of your posts when you don't like an idea doesn't sound like something you can just leave at the office and online.  Aggression doesn't work like that, it takes over your life and bleeds into all aspects even when you think you have a handle on it.  If your immediate response against strangers, people with whom you have no emotional connection to, is aggression when they say something you don't like then it is something that is almost certainly there when you react to your wife who you are deeply connected to emotionally. 

I also don't believe that you see trying to change a controlling personality as being the same as not standing up for oneself.  To leap to that extreme is silly or shallow, I can't decide which.  I have to say that I don't think that being controlling is the same as standing up for yourself in any case, it is more like bullying in that it takes nobody else into account but not totally like bullying because it isn't a deliberate thing but rather a personality trait. It feels and looks similar though.

journeymom likes this.
#64 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

#65 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

#66 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 AM

I want to thank you for being candid with us and for going out on a limb posting here, considering you havent been posting in a forum type environment since myspace (!!). The only thing of substance i have to add to the discussion is that the times when i havent felt affectionate towards my man is when i feel resentful about something. This typically involves something he said that hurts my feelings, something he promised he'd do that he didnt do, not feeling appreciated (feeling ignored in other words), or wishing i could speak up about something but i feel like i cant for whatever reason. Communication on both sides is needed and i will typically bring up whats bothering me when i feel ready. I hope this helps some.
#67 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:

As for the good mom praise I respect your feelings but struggle understanding them. 

Some other members have described what I mean as well (see Linda on the Move's post). Of course, I have no way of knowing if your wife feels the same way as me (and some other members here) about the whole "good mom" thing, of if the whole "good mom" part of your post has more to do with this discussion board and isn't all that much a part of your relationship. 

I could elaborate a little and say that, for me, being a "good mom" is just something I have to do...something that I agreed to do when I decided to have children. Yes, it is sometimes a struggle and one I've made sacrifices to do and something I get help with when needed but, to me, it's just something that needs to be done. Just like my DH has to be a "good dad". We don't get praise for that. It's a basic requirement. 

Now, if you're getting into more like something like "good mom" as totally self-sacrificing or whatever, I consider that to be a negative thing and not something to be complimented. It's a weird thing, I guess. 

In those early months, YES, being a mom IS just pretty self-sacrificing (as is being a dad). But, that's meeting your child's basic needs...

I don't now if this makes any sense... or if it's even relevant. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronart View Post

In some aspects our relationship does follow the "old-fashioned balance.  I find this interesting as we both are fairly earthy/non-mainstream people.  In the end we have ended up playing to our strengths, and they just so happen to be traditional male/female roles.  Just writing that bothers me.  

Yep, same here. And we feel the same, I think. Honestly, if I described one day in our lives, I think it would make some MDC mamas skin crawl...   There are days that look so very 1950s...  But, the realities of chore division in a household where a man (or woman) works out of the home full-time and the other parent stays home full-time, need to take into account the fact that those role divisions are often very off-putting for couples these days. Just like you said...  If these roles are off-putting for you, they are likely off-putting for your DW because, the trad. female role seems to me to be the one that is considered the more negatively in our culture. 

For instance, somewhere down the road, your DW is going to admit to friends or family that you don't change diapers. If you are not uber "traditional" the chances of her being "looked down upon" (and you, too, for that matter!) are pretty high. It's unfortunate but I think something to consider. 

I think it's PATHETIC that we evaluate working parents and how respected their stay-at-home-counterpart is based on the division of diaper changes... but I think we do. I've seen it. I've seen stay-at-home parents either brag about or sheepishly admit to their "number". Ugh, yuck. But, true. Giver her some "bragging rights"...she may come home from a play date feeling rather turned on. And, yes, I do hear myself and am embarrassed to be writing this. Ha!  

Some women feel pretty guilty about being able to stay home with their beautiful baby all day that they take on more than they should in terms of child-care. But, that's not good for either couple. For one, it's difficult to relate to eachother when you're not doing what the other person does every day. You can't know what it's like to never be "off duty"...unless there are days where you go right home from work and get right to the baby minding. If you're lucky, you may get a knack for some part of baby minding that your baby prefers you...  This happened for us with our second baby and it's AWESOME in some ways. I now have the wonderful perspective of knowing how annoying it is to struggle through some part of child care knowing that I could just pass the baby off to her dad and both she and I would be happier. Wow, WHAT a perspective!!  

Anyway...

A lot of this is really OT because no one can know if any of this has anything to do with intimacy issues. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#68 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:

As for this thread lets keep it about keeping the love alive in relationships.

I guess I don't get how this works w/o providing some ideas of what worked/might have worked for those of us posting... Is it a matter f phrasing? Perhaps "it would have helped me be more receptive to intimacy if he had <done XYZ>" vs "you should try doing XYZ"? 

#69 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Yep, same here. And we feel the same, I think. Honestly, if I described one day in our lives, I think it would make some MDC mamas skin crawl...   There are days that look so very 1950s...  But, the realities of chore division in a household where a man (or woman) works out of the home full-time and the other parent stays home full-time, need to take into account the fact that those role divisions are often very off-putting for couples these days. Just like you said...  If these roles are off-putting for you, they are likely off-putting for your DW because, the trad. female role seems to me to be the one that is considered the more negatively in our culture. 

For instance, somewhere down the road, your DW is going to admit to friends or family that you don't change diapers. If you are not uber "traditional" the chances of her being "looked down upon" (and you, too, for that matter!) are pretty high. It's unfortunate but I think something to consider. 

THIS!!! I feel weird talking about our division of labor in my house even though my husband works himself to the bone. He worked so hard last year that he ended up with pneumonia! Also, If I happen to mention that we have a nanny even though I am a SAHM then I get jumped ALL OVER by some folks. I suppose because I don't do enough and I am letting someone else raise my kids (as if!!). I have found myself really defensive at times.

Basically, I feel like I can't win. LOL

Welcome to MDC, OP. LOL! For what it's worth, I think it's okay to say what you are looking for on a thread and then get annoyed when everyone just wants to say what they want without consideration for what you actually need. You weren't asking for "tough love", you were asking to commiserate. I understand this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#70 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Yesterday my husband told me that even if I were placed in an institution/nut house, he'd still wait until I died to even think of divorcing me or remarrying any one. It was the most romantic thing he's ever said and he definitely got some affection!

happytears.gif

I suppose we're just simple people. I love it when he tells me I'm a good mother, but he rarely does.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#71 of 82 Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Okay everyone. I just wanted you to know I have removed several posts that were offensive. Please please let's follow 

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/user-agreement

In addition, I have pm'd several people editing out their posts and quotes of posts I have deleted. Please do so. 

If anyone comes across anything they feel is uncivil and not supportive in the next day or so(trying to give people a chance to edit their posts) please let me know and or use the flag option. 

I am exhausted from reading all the posts..all 70! But it is worth it because I love Mothering and I love being a moderator and it is important for me and everyone(I am assuming) to have a safe place to come when advice and support is needed.

Mothering aims to be a welcoming environment to discuss subjects pertaining to and surrounding natural family living. We appreciate that members come to our community at different places in their parenting journey and one of our goals is to welcome and educate new members. With that in mind, we expect our members to keep conversations civil and on topic, and uphold the integrity and diversity of the community. We value the honest and supportive exchange of ideas and opinions, and we ask that members avoid negative characterizations and generalizations about others. Examples and calm explanation are more useful than condemnation of ideas that differ from Mothering's philosophies.