Peaceful Parenting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been reading Mothering blogs today, and I'm loving them! I posted a couple of threads about blogs I read and enjoyed, and here's another one I really would love to talk more about.

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/7-principles-for-peaceful-parenting

It's about how we can work toward these seven principals to create a peaceful style of parenting. It sounds beautiful and lovely, but reading through it I realized I do better at some areas than others. (You'll want to read through the blog probably to get the underlying idea behind these principals.)

Presence: This sounds intense and I thought I was awful at it as I spend most of my time making meals, cleaning up after meals, planning meals or other things, etc. But then it said if you can only give like 15 or even 10 minutes where you are truly present with your child, even that is a great thing. I fell confident I do that.

Awareness: I don't think I'm very good at this but maybe I need to think about this more.

Rhythm: I think I'm good here. We tend to do certain things on certain days and build the rest of the day around those things.

Example: I *hope* I set a good example, and I think I at least generally do, but there are things I hope my kids grow to do better than I do.

Nuturance: I think I'm pretty good here but it's one of those things I think you have to work on day by day.

Trust: I certainly hope my kids feel they can trust me.

Simplicity: I could use some real work here. I can be a bit indulgent.

What does everyone else think of this concept of Peaceful Parenting and how these principals help with it?
#2 of 3 Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

This is such a great discussion I'm sorry it was missed. 

Presence is my biggest thing I need to work on. I tend to focus on getting things done and not on really being there and making the most of the moment with my children.

Anyone have tips on how to do both?

#3 of 3 Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sadly example is what I need to work on. I feel like because I devote so much time being present that my workd crumbles around me abd then I have huge freak outs to get everything done that I missed while being present. My own negative up bringing has come out more and more as my child ages. As a baby I never yelled, but a four year old tries my patience. She notices my candy un take and my other bad examples.
I liked this read though because you really need a balance of all these things. I think my desire to be this perfect present parent ends up hurting us sometimes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page