"I do all that AND have a job!" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard this comment a couple times jokingly from a WOHM mom friend and it's been implied sometimes less jokingly from others.  What am I supposed to say to that???  Is it TRUE?  Do WOH/WAH moms do everything I do as a SAHM plus work a full time job?  Having never worked another job since having kids, I really don't know and I really want to.  If I were to get a job some day, would it be that much extra work? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have a lot of thoughts on that because I get those comments, but I try to remind myself not to get sucked in.  It's not a contest, there are no "winners" - just parents doing the best they can.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just made the transition this past fall from being a long time SAHM to a working mom to help cover my eldest's college tuition. Yes, its more work to work. The shopping, the cleaning and the errands have to be squeezed into little packets of your evening and you are already tired. I did manage to shift my teens into taking over most of the cooking and doing their own laundry for the most part but the rest still falls on me. I definitely do a "second shift" when I get home.

When I SAH, I volunteered for several community organizations, the kid's schools and ran the household extremely well which included chauffeuring the kids to all their sports, classes and such. Now I have to cut back on volunteering and my kids have to find their own way around town. Hello bus passes and bikes!

I'm proud that I can earn money to launch my kids into adulthood but it is a different kind of mothering. More hands off for sure. I keep them in line by telling them, "I can't worry and work. Don't give me anything to worry about."
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Since everyone's perception of their lives, and the lives of others, are so unique upon such a broad spectrum, it would be really hard to make any comparisons. I know that the way I've chosen to live as a SAHM is vastly different than others, and same would obviously go for those not in my position.

There's always the obvious grass is always greener perspective, when we choose to explore that. WOHMs don't spend their entire day in a child centered universe, but they do have to switch gears quickly from mom mode to employee/worker. I stay in mom mode all day and night, and find myself occasionally envious of those who get to spend hours a day in grown-up land. Sure, I see adults throughout our days, but I never get to finish a sentence, let alone have thoughtful or intellectual conversations with them.

On the other hands, my life of parks and play looks enviable to others who don't live it. I can see why, too. If I were out in a daily grind with so many hours between hugs from my kids, I would be jealous, too. But imagining another lifestyle and living it are such very different beasts, are they not?

The workload is immense for anyone without helping hands or hired assistance. That goes for all parents, whether they work at a job or not.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

I have a lot of thoughts on that because I get those comments, but I try to remind myself not to get sucked in.  It's not a contest, there are no "winners" - just parents doing the best they can.

You're so right.  It's important for me to remember not to compare... but when other people do, it's really hard to not get defensive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I just made the transition this past fall from being a long time SAHM to a working mom to help cover my eldest's college tuition. Yes, its more work to work. The shopping, the cleaning and the errands have to be squeezed into little packets of your evening and you are already tired. I did manage to shift my teens into taking over most of the cooking and doing their own laundry for the most part but the rest still falls on me. I definitely do a "second shift" when I get home.

Yuck... that does sound really hard.  Okay, so maybe WOH/WAM is more work.  Generally, I do think I'm fortunate to be able to stay home... but when other people imply that I have it SO easy and yet it doesn't feel easy at all to me, I get a little annoyed.  It's not like I'm sitting on the couch while the kids feed me bonbons all day!  But I suppose I should just remind myself that WOHMs/WAHMs do have it rough and I should be more understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Amie View Post

Since everyone's perception of their lives, and the lives of others, are so unique upon such a broad spectrum, it would be really hard to make any comparisons. I know that the way I've chosen to live as a SAHM is vastly different than others, and same would obviously go for those not in my position.

There's always the obvious grass is always greener perspective, when we choose to explore that. WOHMs don't spend their entire day in a child centered universe, but they do have to switch gears quickly from mom mode to employee/worker. I stay in mom mode all day and night, and find myself occasionally envious of those who get to spend hours a day in grown-up land. Sure, I see adults throughout our days, but I never get to finish a sentence, let alone have thoughtful or intellectual conversations with them.

On the other hands, my life of parks and play looks enviable to others who don't live it. I can see why, too. If I were out in a daily grind with so many hours between hugs from my kids, I would be jealous, too. But imagining another lifestyle and living it are such very different beasts, are they not?

The workload is immense for anyone without helping hands or hired assistance. That goes for all parents, whether they work at a job or not.

Such good points and well said.  So true about the "grass is always greener".  I can sometimes be so envious of my DH when he "gets" to walk out the door after breakfast and just drive in his car listening to obnoxious heavy metal music full of non-kid-approved obscenities and then work a cool air-conditioned quiet office where people treat him with respect and not just complete sentences but entire projects and ... yada yada yada.  I know for DH and many working moms that "gets" to is really a "has" to walk out that door.  Must remember that the other grass will always look different, be thankful for my own grass, and be understanding of all the other moms who have different grass.  Must learn to love what I do... chop wood, carry water, all that jazz, lol.

Thanks for the great, humbling reminders!  Anybody else want to commiserate or shed light on the WOH/WAH world and any positive ways I can respond to that comment?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think it depends on the family how much extra work it is for the mom to WOH. I've seen it where all the housework and all the childcare is still the wife's work, and I've seen it where the dad gets the kids off to school, makes supper and does the laundry or other housework, so the mom has extra support. The  ages of the kids must have an impact, how many people are in the family, how many pets are there, what extracurriculars does everyone do? No family is the same, the needs of the individuals you are caring for might be higher than the needs of the people she is caring for or your own needs might be different. It's pointless to try and compare.

I think a good response to "I do all that AND have a job!" is to say "I'm glad that works for you."and drop it. But if it seems like they're really trying to drive the point home, I've been pretty blunt and said something like " Are you trying to tell me that I'm lazy?" or "Are you telling me that you're smarter than me?" When you put it in plain terms, they back off. It feels sort of aggressive, but they are being aggressive by hinting at things that are insulting. Don't let them play around with subtleties.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I work 3 days away from home and 4 days at home raising my toddler.  Some things are harder about the mix, namely dinner, getting it on the table on days I work is a nightmare, I haven't seen my son all day, he wants my attention and I want to give it to him, but don't want him to break down because I don't feed him in time.  Another hard thing is finding time with my partner.  We do a lot of divide and conquer.  I'll go to the store, while he does bath or I'll do swim lessons, while hubby works out, while I do bedtime.  We find it hard to have leisure time as a family. 

Some things are easier.  Like when you think you are about to lose it because of whining on a tuesday morning, but you are saved by going to work.  It is easier to engage with adults on subjects other than parenting. 

I have wonderful friends on all parts of the spectrum of work.  In general it seems that the full-time at home mom's have more calm and routine, while the full-time away from home moms have more chaos and business in life.  Both are hard, in different ways.  My friends who work raising their kids at home full time have my deepest respect and there are certainly days that I do not envy them and days that I do. 

Everyone's life is different and we all do the best we can.  But in general the quote that started the thread is really not fair, because while one is at work and away from their kids, their house isn't getting messier, they are not changing diapers and dealing with a kid who won't nap - but they also aren't having those wonderful moment's of time with their child. 

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM

I'm sure it is more work in a lot of ways. In fact, that's a big reason I'm a SAHM. Working moms in a way have two full time jobs, and I'm not going to do that if I don't have to.

OTOH, if the kids are at a day care, then they're messing up the daycare and not the house. And someone else is taking care of meal time. So working moms do have MORE work, but not everything we do and a job - some of the stuff we do is being done by a day care worker or a babysitter or nanny or something.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Up until a week and a half ago I was a working mom. I'm now home. I can say being home is definitely easier, but no where near as easy at it seems it should be after working full time and trying to raise my kids. There really weren't as many hours in the day gained as I wish there were when work ended. Part of that is that I've moved activities around so that we can spend more family time in the evening, part of that is that it takes time to entertain the kids during the day. I honestly don't find that the house is any messier than it was when I worked. I have more time to tackle tasks when I'm home so it's in better shape. But short of one extra meal being prepared at home my kids do all the same mess making things they did while I worked in the house - getting dressed and up for the day, breakfast, supper, bedtime activities, bath, ect. I find it is easier to be at home, but not as easy as I thought it would be. I often wonder why I can't get so much more accomplished not that I'm home, but I didn't get to spend the whole afternoon at the pool with the kids like I will today when I was working. I may not get as much done as I think I should at home, but I have more fun with the kids and we are all less stressed than we were.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM

I don't think it's more work or less work, it's just different work.  The pace is different, the perks are different, the "co-workers" are different.  Being a SAHM is fun some days and exhausting on others.

As others have mentioned, there really is not point in comparing.  

Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Like others have noted, there are way too many variables to compare (number/ages of kids, need levels, personalities/temperaments of both adults & kids, etc.).  If you are a SAHM who can drop your kids off at activities or a friend's house, so you can clean or run errands - awesome (likewise if your kids can entertain themselves, nap alone, or help out).  If you have high needs (or special needs) children who demand your constant attention and engagement, very little

(if any) housework, cooking or errands are going to get done, until those same evening hours when your partner is home - when you are likely as tired as if you'd been at the office.

I look at it this way: no human being can literally do everything.  Everyone must sacrifice or outsource some piece of the puzzle.  Some use child care (instead of SAH) - some hire a cleaning company (instead of scrubbing everything) - some eat freezer meals/take out (instead of cooking from scratch) - some have their groceries delivered (instead of shopping) - some buy produce (instead of gardening) - some buy clothes (instead of sewing)...etc. etc.  Some give up time with little ones (which is always a mixed bag of awesome and exhausting moments) to do more housework/cooking/cleaning themselves, because they feel the trade-off is best for their family.  But absolutely everything is a trade-off.

So, as regards which is "harder" - that's an intensely personal question (other factors are how rewarding/stressful your job is, how blissful/nervewracking your commute, how well your personality type meshes with your children vs. coworkers, home environment vs. work environment...on and on).  But the statement "I do all that AND have a job" is, quite frankly, impossible and absurd. Even if the difference comes down to "only" your hours of engagement with your kids.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 PM

I can only speak of my experiences. When I was a working, single mom, it was work, but being a SAHM to 3 is way more work. I could run an errand or two, bg myself during a lunch break. We weren't home as much, so there wasn't near the amount of housework. So, for me, that was easier.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 AM

I'm sorry but first off, that is such an insulting thing to say to a SAHM.

Secondly, being a SAHM is a HARD job. Harder then getting up to go to an office, IMHO.

Thirdly, there is no way that a mom who has a job and "does all that" is physically/logistically able to really do all that. I bet you go to twice as many play dates and activities for your kids. I bet you play with them more. I am a work-at-home part-time freelancer and have found myself skipping many things to get an email written, put on the TV so I could have a conference call, been dropped off at Starbucks to work on weekends while daddy has all the fun taking DD to the park. All I do is work it seems. But we need the money. Once baby #2 comes we will reassess but living in CA, I don't see us not *needing* the money and I'd rather do this then go to an office and put kids in daycare. At least they are with me, for now at least.

I do not "do all that" at all! smile.gif

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 AM

Actually , as far as one on one quality time, the different between SAHMs and WOHMs is not much.

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/counting-cuddles/

Maybe going to the office is easier but many moms have the kind of hard difficult jobs like mine that make coming home and doing laundry, cooking and hanging out with my awesome kids look easy peasy.

I do not have cook, housekeeper or driver. When I get home, I do all the things that parents do.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM

That study makes zero sense to my life. smile.gif  Really, I find it completely incomprehensible.  I spend every hour DH is at work with a kid physically attached to me, engaging with him.  So a difference of 83 minutes makes no sense to me -  even with pee breaks, it's got to be at least 8-9 hours difference.  The way they broke out the breastfeeding data is confusing - when they say an additional hour, does that mean on top of the 83 minutes?  PLUS 27 minutes of reading, singing, etc. PLUS 32 minutes more of cuddles?  Or are the latter two included?  

Further, it begs the question - if SAHMs are only spending an extra hour and a half with their kids, what the heck are they DOING all day???  Because it must be something, which the WOHMs aren't - right?  Or are we assuming they are at yoga, the spa, and eating bon-bons?  eyesroll.gif

I assume everyone works their hardest and does their best wherever they are. Trade-offs - there are only 24 hours in a day (and yes, perhaps some sacrifice more sleep - but it's still a trade-off, and one that may hurt productivity, etc. etc. and on and on).  

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Maybe going to the office is easier but many moms have the kind of hard difficult jobs like mine that make coming home and doing laundry, cooking and hanging out with my awesome kids look easy peasy.

I do not have cook, housekeeper or driver. When I get home, I do all the things that parents do.

This is why I said it depends on your job, and many, many personal factors - if you want to decide which is "harder" for a particular person.  But that wasn't really the statement - the statement was "I do all that AND have a job" - well, nobody does that.  One may come home and do chores, but you weren't there cleaning up spills, messes, trying to get kids to eat while feeding a baby, wiping butts, scrubbing marker, mediating toy disputes all day long.  So, the person speaking didn't "do all that" - what they meant was, maybe, they do the grocery shopping and have a job.  They do the laundry and have a job.  They cook and clean and have a job.  Or all of the above. Or however the duties break down in their house.  But I would argue - a SAHM could, in many cases, make all those same statements, because childcare is their job.  Chores are incidental.

Even that Australian study showed that dads make up the difference in cuddles if moms work.  So all I'm saying is, nobody is actually doing everything.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM

It depends on the job. I think it's insulting to make it seem like SAHMs don't do as much work as WOHMs. It's just different work. Would you say a daycare worker really has that much different of a job than a SAHM? Yet the daycare worker gets benefits and respect, while SAHMs are just said to be lazy. I have worked many difficult jobs-hospice, infertility, etc. Some of that working 70+ hour weeks mostly on night shift. It was harder in some ways-scheduling, stress, etc. But I didn't do the same amount of work in the home or with kids. Other people had to pick up that, and since they weren't home as much, there was less work to be done at home. I also was a less thorough house cleaner and cooked far less. Right now I'm a SAHM and full time student. It's more work mostly because I am trying to do both full time (classes are online) at the *same* time. Not harder, just more work. But if I wasn't in classes, I would be doing more work around the house. orngtongue.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM

How many SAHMs are there in Australia. We have neighbors in Australia and they acted like it was mainly just the super wealthy who had SAHMs, which would make it more of a The Nanny Diaries thing than what we're talking about. But maybe my neighbor was just talking about her part of Australia.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM

but kids grow up and go to school at 5 or maybe even to preschool at 3 in some cases. So, plenty of time to do everything with kid out of the house.I

I am at work while my kid is in school, so I get home to "all that" after work

And when my kids were small I ran a business from home. 

Work is something additional in my day. I am not excused from making meal from scratch, teaching my kids things, filling out school paperwork etc.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post
I look at it this way: no human being can literally do everything.  Everyone must sacrifice or outsource some piece of the puzzle.  Some use child care (instead of SAH) - some hire a cleaning company (instead of scrubbing everything) - some eat freezer meals/take out (instead of cooking from scratch) - some have their groceries delivered (instead of shopping) - some buy produce (instead of gardening) - some buy clothes (instead of sewing)...etc. etc.  Some give up time with little ones (which is always a mixed bag of awesome and exhausting moments) to do more housework/cooking/cleaning themselves, because they feel the trade-off is best for their family.  But absolutely everything is a trade-off.

So, as regards which is "harder" - that's an intensely personal question (other factors are how rewarding/stressful your job is, how blissful/nervewracking your commute, how well your personality type meshes with your children vs. coworkers, home environment vs. work environment...on and on).  But the statement "I do all that AND have a job" is, quite frankly, impossible and absurd. Even if the difference comes down to "only" your hours of engagement with your kids.

I like the trade-off way of looking at it.  You're right, we all have to make choices.  And everybody's situation is different, so different choices.   Great points. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post
I think a good response to "I do all that AND have a job!" is to say "I'm glad that works for you."and drop it. But if it seems like they're really trying to drive the point home, I've been pretty blunt and said something like " Are you trying to tell me that I'm lazy?" or "Are you telling me that you're smarter than me?" When you put it in plain terms, they back off. It feels sort of aggressive, but they are being aggressive by hinting at things that are insulting. Don't let them play around with subtleties.

I like this approach.  If I want to dodge the topic I can do the "glad that works for you" reply.  If I feel more assertive, I can call them on it to clarify what exactly they mean. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Thank you for calling it exactly what it is.  Regardless of any truth behind the statement, it is still insulting.

Quote:

Actually , as far as one on one quality time, the different between SAHMs and WOHMs is not much.

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/counting-cuddles/

Interesting...I'm sure a lot of SAHMs would argue with this.  Even if this were true, then what about the quality of the time that isn't necessarily one-on-one?  But something sounds awfully fishy with the results/interpretation of that study... the time spent just doesn't add up to the number of hours in the day.  Like how is it that on average a SAHM only spends 83 minutes more per day with their baby than a WAHM?  What about the other 7 or so hours that a WOHM spends at work?  What's skewing that average?  Do Australian SAHMs send their babies to daycare/babysitter/grandparents/nanny/dad for many hours of the day most days?  If so, then we need a third category... WOHM/WAHM, SAHM, and something else instead of lumping them in with moms who are at home and mothering most of the time.  The study itself wasn't very readable for a layperson, but if I have time later I'll go back and read it through to see if I can figure out how they came up with that number.  

Okay, nap time over.  I love hearing everybody's thoughts!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

That study makes zero sense to my life. smile.gif  Really, I find it completely incomprehensible.  I spend every hour DH is at work with a kid physically attached to me, engaging with him.  So a difference of 83 minutes makes no sense to me -  even with pee breaks, it's got to be at least 8-9 hours difference.  The way they broke out the breastfeeding data is confusing - when they say an additional hour, does that mean on top of the 83 minutes?  PLUS 27 minutes of reading, singing, etc. PLUS 32 minutes more of cuddles?  Or are the latter two included?  

Further, it begs the question - if SAHMs are only spending an extra hour and a half with their kids, what the heck are they DOING all day???  Because it must be something, which the WOHMs aren't - right?  Or are we assuming they are at yoga, the spa, and eating bon-bons?  eyesroll.gif

Yes, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't understand those numbers, lol!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

but kids grow up and go to school at 5 or maybe even to preschool at 3 in some cases. So, plenty of time to do everything with kid out of the house.I

Work is something additional in my day. I am not excused from making meal from scratch, teaching my kids things, filling out school paperwork etc.

But that's another trade-off - outsourcing your children's education (which ends up also being childcare).  So, you lose out on quality time with your kids.  Losing out on time spend engaging and raising them.  That is not a choice every mother makes.  

I'm sure running your own business with small children at home was stressful - but you made trade-offs - you couldn't have been on calls and doing work WHILE engaging with your kids.  You didn't do everything a SAHM does AND work then either.

Of course you aren't excused from those things, they are your chosen values and priorities as a parent.  It's all choices we make and trade-offs to support what we think is best for our families.  I think it is rude and insulting to assume that one could possibly do "everything a SAHM does plus more" in the same 24 hours.  If we are doing one thing, we are, by default, not doing something else.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Secondly, being a SAHM is a HARD job. Harder then getting up to go to an office, IMHO.

Thirdly, there is no way that a mom who has a job and "does all that" is physically/logistically able to really do all that. I bet you go to twice as many play dates and activities for your kids. I bet you play with them more. I am a work-at-home part-time freelancer and have found myself skipping many things to get an email written, put on the TV so I could have a conference call, been dropped off at Starbucks to work on weekends while daddy has all the fun taking DD to the park. All I do is work it seems. But we need the money. Once baby #2 comes we will reassess but living in CA, I don't see us not *needing* the money and I'd rather do this then go to an office and put kids in daycare. At least they are with me, for now at least.

I do not "do all that" at all! smile.gif

yeahthat.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

It depends on the job. I think it's insulting to make it seem like SAHMs don't do as much work as WOHMs. It's just different work. Would you say a daycare worker really has that much different of a job than a SAHM? Yet the daycare worker gets benefits and respect, while SAHMs are just said to be lazy. I have worked many difficult jobs-hospice, infertility, etc. Some of that working 70+ hour weeks mostly on night shift. It was harder in some ways-scheduling, stress, etc. But I didn't do the same amount of work in the home or with kids. Other people had to pick up that, and since they weren't home as much, there was less work to be done at home. I also was a less thorough house cleaner and cooked far less. Right now I'm a SAHM and full time student. It's more work mostly because I am trying to do both full time (classes are online) at the *same* time. Not harder, just more work. But if I wasn't in classes, I would be doing more work around the house. orngtongue.gif

nod.gif  

Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good points... moms with older kids in school would be a whole different category.  Certainly they would have different days than moms with two young children still in diapers... or with an older child who is homeschooled.  Lots of variations.      

Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 PM

I worked at home 20 hours a week and those were 20 hours that my kid had to watch tv and play alone or the house had to suffer or I lost sleep.  You cannot do both. Its all work. Whether you are taing care of house and home or working  form home the hours don't really change

Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM

I agree, I can't imagine how WOHMs and SAHMs spend the same amount or near with their kids. No way. I used to work out of the home. Unless the SAHMs are sending their kids to daycare or school while they're home, I just can't see it. I spend every second until bedtime with my kids. Reading, teaching, cuddling, nursing (CONSTANTLY!), etc.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 PM

I can see if your kids are school aged and at school all day when you'd be at work anyway, it probably doesn't make much of a difference in how much time you spend one-on-one with your kids. Or if you are a SAHM and also have a nanny. But with a young child, either you're dealing with them one-on-one all the time, or someone else is. They don't sit there by themselves leaving you alone. You're reading to, feeding, doing stuff with, etc., a great deal of the time. And for babies, you're holding/wearing them and talking to them all the time.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM

Being a SAHM is as much of a job as you make it. My mom stayed at home and nothing to interact with us. Seriously she just watched her "stories" and then complained the house was a mess. Which it was very disorganized. Oh and relied on take out a bunch, cause she was so stressed and tired.... I am the opposite, I make staying at home a full time thing. Spend time with my children, keep the house in order and take care of meals. It's what you make of it.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 AM

lol...Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've said that before... I've stayed home with my babies when they were younger, and that is difficult, but quite frankly, being a mom of babies is hard for ANY mom! Now that my kids are in school though, I do think that I work a lot more than some of the SAHM's who have kids in school with mine. It gets irritating after a while to hear moms complain that there is 'so much to do at home' when their kids are in school all day. Some of us actually work all day, pick up the kids from school, take time off to volunteer, take kids to activities, then come home to cooking and housework. Definiately more work! I have to say, I do get jealous of the idea of relaxing every once in a while. ;)

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 AM

I do not consider public school my kids went to outsourcing their education.

I did not do it because I do not love my kids or do not want to spend quality time with them.

I did it because schools in my ares have good teachers who did better job than I ever would and because shoal have amazing resources and mentors.

What I did was right for my family. My son has an awesome job at 17 that many older people would kill for .

I am tired of public school  portrayed as something bad. Some are and some are not. Homeschooling is not good thing for every child and every family.

So, yes, when we are talking about school age kids who are in school, "I do all that and my job".

Tags
Stay At Home Parents
User Tag List