What do other moms do with their kids that you can't stand doing with yours? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Funny thing about drawing on demand. My DD is very obsessed with commanding us to draw or paint very specific things. Her favorites right now include letters, kitties, llamas, poppies, potties, and pigs. I have noticed an ability (in myself) suddenly for painting pretty well. Today I did a killer rubber ducky with water colors in the first try. Also, this:

#62 of 66 Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My kiddo is older but is an only kiddo.  I DO NOT play board games.  I will go to swim meets but I only show up at swim time, not for pre-meet practice and I leave when he is done swimming.  

When he was younger he never really needed a friend/mama to play with but i DO NOT do pretend play.

I dont mind going to the pool, just not in the heat of the day. I hate the beach.

I love art.  The park is good - I can bring a book or yarn and sit on a bench for the afternoon.

Oh- i DO NOT watch kiddie movies on the tv.  sorry

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#63 of 66 Old 07-13-2013, 11:17 PM

I like a lot of kids movies and shows (actually quite a big fan of Barney and Barney songs). Some things I hate like Teletubbies and Max and Ruby (Ruby just constantly tells max no no no no no it gets on my nerves!!!!), Cailu, The Regular Show, and Big Time Rush. Most of the things I don't like I would probably try to steer my kids away from, or if they loved it I would put a limit on it. For example Sponge Bob is funny for a while but unfortunatly is on hours and hours at a time. I would have to say, "OK that's all the sponge bob I can stand. Time for something else!"

Mamma Amie (ha! my name is Amy): Yes my youngest demanded I draw specific things too and it generally annoyed me! I would draw for a while and then say, OK now YOU draw a such and such!!! GREAT TOILET!!!

#64 of 66 Old 07-14-2013, 11:47 AM

I don't like imaginary play, either. I try, but it's just not for me. I also have a very hard time letting them cook with me...I'm a bit of a kitchen control freak. I do LOVE to sing to/with them, and take them to the park (because they can run free)...mind you, as soon as it becomes about me pretending to eat their "food", or helping them "put out a fire" or whatever it might be at the park, I quickly find myself losing patience/interest.

Edit: I also like Legos, play-doh, colouring, etc. but I suck in the preparing crafts for them to make department. I also don't mind kids movies.
#65 of 66 Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM

This is funny. My hubby and mines roles seem reversed. I'm the active mama. I don't really enjoy sitting around for too long, I don't like board games, Legos, dress-up or make believe. I love taking them to the zoo, beach, water park, playground.. All that stuff. We like going on walks, bike rides, etc, going to play areas, Barnes and noble... hubs is not into the active stuff. Probably has to do with the fact that he has a pretty physically demanding active job so he's usually simply too tired. I even enjoy festivals and carnivals, and don't mind the lines. I have a hard time sitting still for too long. He and our kids watch movies, build forts, play Legos, cars and shoot bow and arrows and reads them books. smile.gif

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#66 of 66 Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareMom View Post

Oh my goodness, I am soooo relieved! My brain immediately shuts down when my 5yo DD starts with the "Hey Mom, pretend I'm your second baby and I just ate some apples but I don't really like apples and you want me to be a kitty and then you turn into a mean dog..." You get the idea. I have a hard time following the script and then she gets mad. No fun. We like to do lots of other stuff together, though. Cook, swim, go for long walks, read. Just no princess mermaid fairies, please.

Yeah, can't put up with much pretend play.

DD1 (5): Pretend that I'm your grandaughter, and I'm a beautiful princess, and you live in India, and I'm coming on the bus to visit you...
DD2 (2.5): Pretend I'm Dr.Maria, and I'm coming to your house, but I just realized I went to the wrong house!

I enjoy activities that have more clearly defined outcomes, like reading a story or playing a board game, or things, like a pp mentioned, that we can work on independently together, like play dough or Legos. I also like outings, because time goes by faster. Sometimes just playing in the house makes a day seem so long.

Tags
Parenting , Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page