What name do you use for private parts? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

Bravo! I can't believe someone is getting upset about vagina but uses squishy. Also, "how terrible for you" is incredibly condescending and presumptuous. Mdc at its best!

Thank you blush.gif. Sometimes i just can't bite my tongue anymore! When someone says they actually feel ashamed for teaching the word "vagina" instead of "vulva" and that feeling is created and continuously reinforced by moms like the ones who post in this thread, i get angry. That is sickening and i cant help but be furious.
swede likes this.
#32 of 38 Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Vulva and penis generally. Sometimes we use "bottom" generally too. Teaching "vagina" to kids drives me crazy. 

#33 of 38 Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 AM

I'd like to add that much of our society is still stuck on debating whether its better to teach cute names vs. vagina or vulva. Most people are not at the level of debating vagina vs. vulva. I don't know if its a sign of intelligence to go to this extreme or a sign that some people are so sick of the dumb, cutesy names that they can't help but react and become fiercely technical.
swede likes this.
#34 of 38 Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 AM

we are trying to be cute so I taught my child to call "back petpet" or "front petpet" his private parts.

#35 of 38 Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

At home we use the correct names...I want her know what they are actually called..But in public I use Private Area...

I have a friend who calls her daughters private area her cookie though ROTFLMAO.gif

#36 of 38 Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Totally guilty of calling the whole shebang a vagina or 'outside of your vagina'. Vulva just sounds SO creepy to me.....why does it? And vagina sounds kinda fun! Most other parts are there to support/protect it, right? It is kind of the main attraction.

We always do balls and butt too because they sound lighthearted and real. Guess I want the kids to feel comfortable not stressed talking about bodies. Although of course we do study the more scientific terms just to prep for the BIG QUIZ.
#37 of 38 Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Ever told a child to "wipe your mouth" when the mess is only on her lips?  How about "my stomach hurts" when the pain might really be coming from your intestine, uterus, or liver?

Indeed, "vagina" is the technically correct term only for the inside part, but I don't think that makes it horribly wrong to use the word more generally.  I grew up saying "vagina" as a collective term for "female genitals" and did not find it anything like confusing to learn the correct terms for the specific parts.  It was exactly like learning that "stomach" technically means one specific internal organ, not the entire front squishy part of the torso and all its contents.  No big deal.

I have only a son, and he's not been very interested in discussing female bodies except when asking about birth, so "private parts" has been an adequate term most of the time, although we did tell him the names of the basic external female organs when we first talked about that.  We didn't teach "vestibular fossa" and "fourchette" because it didn't seem necessary.  He's also not been very interested in discussing his own parts, except when he noticed some boys are circumcised and asked about it, so he knows "penis" and "foreskin" but I'm not sure that "scrotum" or "testicles" are words he could retrieve from memory at this point.

swede and ameliasmom113 like this.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#38 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM

Vulva and penis.

My son came home from his dad's once when he was maybe four and said something about his "winkydonker" it made me cringe and we started using penis. I have no idea what we said before that. It made his dad really mad "What if he goes to school and says his penis hurts?" Um... His teacher will think his penis hurts? Would you rather him look goofy by saying Winkydonker?

Anyway, to my knowledge, he has only said penis since then. Unless he says something else at his dad's.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page