Fess up: What makes you "crunchier" than anyone else? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So crunchy mommas, would any of you share your recipes with us not so crunchy but willing to learn mommas? Should I start a crunchy recipes thread for recipes for soaps with breast milk, cleaning products, etc. I saw the sea salt toothpaste that's pretty cool! Any one interested?
HouseofPeace and srieger like this.
#62 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shijin13 View Post

We also do cold baths during the winter outside.  We're just starting to work the kids into taking colds baths as well to build a tolerance to cold.  by the end of last winter I could easily sit in water just above freezing for 20mins.  It also improved my heatlh, as my highly sensitive CRP dropped to .2 by late january.  We've discovered that by embracing the cold in the winter, we have a higher heat tolerance in the summer and don't need to keep our ac blasting all summer.

Wow, that's pretty cool. 

#63 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 PM

UC is pretty dern crunchy I think and I did that, well UP/UC.

Family cloth is the bomb, I don't really get why more people don't like the idea, I mean I get the laundry aspect but it's like you don't have to buy toilet paper anymore.  And that stuff is expensive!

Um.....I don't really wash my crazy curly hair, just rinse it really well and condition it.

I make my own face toner with rose water and then slather on coconut oil which a lot of people are freaked by, but it doesn't make you break out, it's awesome!

Raw milk, is that crunchy?

youngmom89 likes this.
#64 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I love this thread too!!  Thought of posting one like it myself. My most crazy "AP" thing that I've done is what I would call crazy, extreme babywearing. I wore my youngest all over for ever and ever. The last time I wore her for a long time was at President Obama's inauguration - my "LO" was 7!!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#65 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

I have been breastfeeding for 28 collective years, much of that in tandem.  

bow.gif

Midwesterner04 likes this.

#66 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM

I think my biggest "crunchy" accomplishment was surviving a ten day NICU stay (born at 36 weeks w/ midwife then had to transfer to hospital b/c baby wasn't breathing well) without my baby getting force fed formula or bathed. :-) Woo! Exclusive breastfeeding, constant skin to skin and maintaining that lovely layer of vernix protection against all odds.

I do a lot of that other stuff too but that's easy!
Midwesterner04 and Lazurii like this.
#67 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Seems that in my circles, having a natural birth and still nursing my 16 month old is about all the crunchy folks can handle!  Add to that the co-sleeping, not freaking out when my toddler is eating dirt, not rushing to the doctor at every sniffle, etc...  haha I'm always the "hippie" of the bunch and I'm not even that much of one!  In fact, I'm going down this list making notes! (note to self: try EC next time around, learn more about unschooling, look up "circadian cycles"...)  

youngmom89 and pt33333 like this.
#68 of 105 Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 PM

Hmmm.  Nope, can't think of anything that makes me crunchier than "anyone else".  I do live in the Seattle area, though.  CD/Breastfeeding/living easy on the earth/localvores/reusable menstrual stuff is all super common.  Maybe I just know a lot of weird people?  I did triple tandem nurse and nurse through my high risk twin pregnancy (with the full blessing of my perinatologist--which probably gives me negative crunchy points that I had one!), but honestly?  I think a lot of people would have done that that I know, it's just at not everyone has twins 17 months after their firstborn. :P  Cosleeping is mainstream amongst people I know.  Most people like being outdoors here and are environmentally aware.  (again, I might just know a lot of weird folks I guess)  Spanking is culturally a frowny thing so if people do they'll not talk about it except in closed company.

I would say that I'm relaxed and allow my kids more freedom (to make mistakes, to climb, to build their own stuff, to go play on our property without me hovering over them, ect.) but I do not know that's a crunchy trait, as frankly the most uptight moms I've met have been equally divided between crunchy and mainstream.

#69 of 105 Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 AM

I have had one unassisted homebirth in our rv(which is our home) and am planning to do it again in the next couple of weeks. I breast feed and try to eat organic. Probably as crunchy as I will ever get!
youngmom89 likes this.
#70 of 105 Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM

I

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#71 of 105 Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 PM

My probably crunchiest trait is the jar's/bag's full of herb's i use to treat everything from headaches to colds/fever's and the fact that i make my own lip-balm(works really well for burn cream) and lotion. With my hair washing it more than once a week makes it less manageable not more and about 95 percent of every piece of clothing I own was pre-loved. Only thing's i buy new are unmentionables and tennis shoes... sandals and heels you can usually find almost brand new second hand.

Lazurii and youngmom89 like this.
#72 of 105 Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 PM

Oh wait, I did think of something that makes my crunchier than the average cookie, not in a parenting context though. I'm a LMP who's going to be starting a program in the fall to become a certified aromatherapist in the fall, and who also will be taking more in depth training in intuitive healing work and touching on energy work (which still makes me laugh, as I would have said Lol no if you'd asked me a year ago about going something like that...)
#73 of 105 Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 AM

I use Dr. Bronner's soap for everything, don't wear make-up, use cloth diapers, cloth baby wipes, and cloth breast pads, breastfeed. we also don't vaccinate or even go to the doctor's unless it's an absolute emergency, just had my first home birth and it was awesome:)  I bought my newborn baby an all organic, non-flame retardant mattress, which I had to get a prescription for. never used to wear a bra, until I started breastfeeding because otherwise I would leak everywhere. eat mostly organic food. we don't have cable, we just watch old VHS tapes. I also don't have a cellphone or facebook, which most people find pretty odd. I drive an old dented up car that gets 40 mpg. oh yeah and I don't believe in government. I would live like the native americans if I could. we are working on getting completely off the grid. we have a pretty good start because we exclusively heat with a woodstove. I would like to homeschool my 6 year old too, but need to do more research on it and besides she really likes her friends in school so it's a tough decision.

#74 of 105 Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM

I never really consider myself "crunchy" as I think I have a really long way to go, but I do some things that my circle of friends and family tend to think are crunchy

I belong to a local farm CSA to get fresh, local and organic produce.  We used to have a sizable garden and I preserved a lot of food from that, but the garden has been sadly neglected since my husband passed away 5 years ago.  I can't fit in tending the garden along with taking care of everything else on my own, so the CSA was my solution.

I preserve whatever food we get in our weekly share that we won't use up soon enough.  I've made pickles, salsa, canned tomatoes.  I also freeze greens, beans, corn.  This year, I want to also buy more when they are selling bulk extras to try to preserve enough to last us through the winter.

I make almost all of our meals from scratch.  We rarely eat out, but that is as much to do with saving money as with trying to be "crunchy".

I lo-poo, generally only shower once a week, sometimes twice if been doing really sweaty work.  The kids also shower only weekly.  And I rarely use makeup

I wash all of our clothes in cold water and line dry everything.  Dryer died a little over a year ago and never bothered to replace it.  Hasn't even been an inconvenience, even drying clothes on indoor racks in winter or on rainy days.  I would like to try also making my own laundry detergent as well.

In the past, I would bake all of our bread.  I've fallen off the wagon with that one, but am hoping to start that up again very soon.

In the winter, I keep the heat down to save money and energy.  Probably not as low as some, but lower than most people I know here.  I usually keep it at 65 during the day and turn it down to 60 overnight.  On a couple occasions when I have a chill that just won't go away, I'll splurge and turn it up to 68.  That cracks up my friends who typically keep at at something over 70.

I also co-sleep with my daughter, even though she is 9 now.  We co-slept when both kids were younger and she had gone to her own bed when she was 3.  But after her father passed away, she moved back to my bed and I haven't made her move.  Some nights she will sleep in her own bed, and does so more often now.  But there are still nights when I go to bed and find her there.  I know at some point it will end completely and I think I'm lucky that she still feels so close to me now.

Lazurii and youngmom89 like this.
#75 of 105 Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't say that I'm as crunchy in some areas as I used to be, but I live on an acreage (on an island in the pacific northwest) where we have a huge vegetable garden, we raise our own chickens for meat and eggs, we are raising pigs for meat (but I'm not going to eat them... hee hee), once my youngest became potty trained we started to use the old baby wash cloths instead of toilet paper, I do the "no poo" thing and hardly have to wash my hair because of it.... we thrift shop as much as possible.

#76 of 105 Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 AM

We make our own toothpaste, don't shampoo, walk barefoot on gravel paths all summer, and live on a commune!

#77 of 105 Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 PM

Reading through this, I'm not very crunchy BUT this is my crunchy side:
Cloth diapers
Line dry
Baby wear
Baby led weaning
Breast feeding
Mama cloth
Home birth
I'm a doula
Don't vaccinate
youngmom89 likes this.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#78 of 105 Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 AM

For the breastmilk soap, I used the re-batch method.  I suppose you could substitute breast milk for cow or goat milk in a recipe where you mix it with lye, but this is a delicate process with the strong chance of scorching and ruining the benefits of your milk.  I was heartbroken once when I scorched some of my hand-milked goat's milk.  I was scared to do the same to my breastmilk, which wasn't so abundant in supply.  I made the soap with water, lye and fat.  After the soap hardened, I grated it into a crock pot and melted it down with the breastmilk.  Then I poured it into a mold and let it harden.  Pop it out of the mold and let it cure for a while or use it right away.  You could even use high quality store-bought soap and grate it up with the breast milk, but that would be less crunchy.smile.gif

#79 of 105 Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm not sure how crunchy this is, but I'm posting anyway.

I only use the microwave for popcorn. For everything else I use glass pots, a stainless steel pot or skillet, the toaster, or the crock pot.

I don't shave my legs. (I wear skirts and dresses that cover most of my legs.)

I tried cloth diapering with my secondborn, first son, 6 years ago but couldn't really figure it out - was always checking on him, but he still managed to soak himself, his clothes, etc. and I was having postpartum depression so I switched back to disposable diapers for my sanity.

I use coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil instead of canola oil.

We don't own a TV, and make a point of not watching it most of the time no matter where we are.

I put peppermint oil on my children's knees when they cry at night from growing pains. (I still need to learn more about that, as I heard I need to mix it with another oil.)

I've put myself to sleep with a tiny bit of skunk cabbage before.

I breastfed my firstborn as long as I could (almost 2 years) until I was pregnant with her little brother and dried up - was hoping to tandem nurse.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#80 of 105 Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Catholic mama - not that you need to do this, as I personally love the microwave & freezer meals, but this seemed like something you might be interested in.  You can make popcorn in a big stockpot.  Do you remember shake n pop?  Just put kernels and oil in your pot, put it over medium heat, and agitate the pot with the lid shut while it heats, and voila, easy stovetop popcorn.  The drawback, of course, is you can't send your four year old to do it.  ;)

srieger and youngmom89 like this.
#81 of 105 Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post

I rode a horse through a drive-thru this morning. Hey, it would have taken me 30+ minutes to get through traffic in a car!  I got there in under 15 and we got fresh air too. 

Even you ladies running your RVs and cars on straight veggie oil can't beat my ride for fuel efficiency. Most of the food she eats was grown by us too, and she makes free eco-friendly fertilizer. NO WASTE!

I did, however, get 2 chemical-laden bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuits for myself and the kiddo who came with. With coffee. And apple dippers for the trusty steeds. All with disposable and decidedly not eco-friendly packaging. So I guess my ultra-crunch mode of transport was negated by the activity it was used for, LOL.

I would love to have seen this! lol.gif

Do you... uh.... have to stop and clean up any droppings your horse leaves behind on the roads? Just curious. shy.gif

#82 of 105 Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephafriendly View Post

For the breastmilk soap, I used the re-batch method.  I suppose you could substitute breast milk for cow or goat milk in a recipe where you mix it with lye, but this is a delicate process with the strong chance of scorching and ruining the benefits of your milk.  I was heartbroken once when I scorched some of my hand-milked goat's milk.  I was scared to do the same to my breastmilk, which wasn't so abundant in supply.  I made the soap with water, lye and fat.  After the soap hardened, I grated it into a crock pot and melted it down with the breastmilk.  Then I poured it into a mold and let it harden.  Pop it out of the mold and let it cure for a while or use it right away.  You could even use high quality store-bought soap and grate it up with the breast milk, but that would be less crunchy.smile.gif

To do it cold process I think freezing the milk first in cubes and then placing them in a container in an ice bath and and slowly adding in the lye water while stirring would prevent scorching. thumb.gif

#83 of 105 Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama626 View Post

So crunchy mommas, would any of you share your recipes with us not so crunchy but willing to learn mommas? Should I start a crunchy recipes thread for recipes for soaps with breast milk, cleaning products, etc. I saw the sea salt toothpaste that's pretty cool! Any one interested?

Please do! And post the link here so we can follow you to the thread. love.gif

#84 of 105 Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post

Catholic mama - not that you need to do this, as I personally love the microwave & freezer meals, but this seemed like something you might be interested in.  You can make popcorn in a big stockpot.  Do you remember shake n pop?  Just put kernels and oil in your pot, put it over medium heat, and agitate the pot with the lid shut while it heats, and voila, easy stovetop popcorn.  The drawback, of course, is you can't send your four year old to do it.  ;)

We make our own stove-top popcorn as well.  I use a small cake-cooling rack over the burner to make the pan slide back and forth more easily.  Oh, and  use palm shortening Sheepish.gif (organic, but still...) because it works better with the high heat.  My oil is spoiling in there because it's expeller pressed!  We use a small, long handled pot.  The popped popcorn keeps kernels from popping out, as long as it isn't too full.  About 1/4 cup corn for a 1-quart pan works perfectly.  Keep the lid on until the popping's done.  And be careful the heat of the pan and lid is brutal!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#85 of 105 Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

I put peppermint oil on my children's knees when they cry at night from growing pains. (I still need to learn more about that, as I heard I need to mix it with another oil.)

My kids get really bad growing pains, and I've found lavender oil mixed with a bit of olive oil works wonders on their legs.  I just take the bottle of olive oil and press it to my palm and quickly flip the bottle up to get a film of oil.  Then I add 2-3 drops of lavender.  This is good for one lower leg.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#86 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

We make our own stove-top popcorn as well.  I

We have a Whirly-Pop. If you have a small living space I think it would be difficult to justify this large single-use item but if you have kitchen storage or make a whole lot of popcorn, I recommend one. They're always at the secondhand shop in our area for some reason - I think they may be a hot holiday gift item for folks who have everything. 

Does anyone do nutritional yeast and Braggs on their popcorn?  We lived in a town once where you could get this in your popcorn in the theater.  It's delish! 

#87 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I used to love that combination (first had at Rainbow Gatherings--double crunch!) but can't have corn anymore, so all popcorn is out for me happytears.gif.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#88 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM

I use butter (lots!) and nutritional yeast on my popcorn.  Delish.  Oh, and I second the Whirly-Pop.  It's easy for kids to use, too.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#89 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Pop the corn in a cast iron skillet (w/ a lid of course) in coconut oil, then spritz w/ olive oil (we're dairy free) & sprinkle with nutritional yeast, pink salt & dulse. Delish!

Does the dulse make me extra crunchy? ;-)
#90 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalau View Post

Does the dulse make me extra crunchy? ;-)

nod.gif

Tags
Parents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page