Fess up: What makes you "crunchier" than anyone else? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

We have a Whirly-Pop. If you have a small living space I think it would be difficult to justify this large single-use item but if you have kitchen storage or make a whole lot of popcorn, I recommend one. They're always at the secondhand shop in our area for some reason - I think they may be a hot holiday gift item for folks who have everything. 

Does anyone do nutritional yeast and Braggs on their popcorn?  We lived in a town once where you could get this in your popcorn in the theater.  It's delish! 

we do stove top with nutritional yeast and spike....mmmmmmmm

#92 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Cyclamen, that sounds pretty messy but we might try it sometime. Thank you!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#93 of 105 Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 PM

Oh!  I remembered another crunchy thing I've done.  I used to save my urine to pour on the compost and in our garden.

adalau likes this.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#94 of 105 Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

me? uhmmm. not sure compared to the crazy crunchy people i am surrounded by (recycling stalins)

however i did have a diva cup conversation with dd and she wants to eventually try one.

dd - the fact that she only eats processed foods at birthday parties. i guess that includes me too. 

however i am very sensitive to the term crunchy. i dont consider myself uber crunchy. i dont like drawing attention to myself so i will not insist on my crunchy habits in a surrounding where its a foreign concept. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#95 of 105 Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We're too crunchy in our family to eat pop corn at the moment. (No grains allowed).I wish. Sounds goodyummy.gif

(Why do i always feel compelled to answer a thread when it involves food?) 

#96 of 105 Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

We're too crunchy in our family to eat pop corn at the moment. (No grains allowed).I wish. Sounds goodyummy.gif

(Why do i always feel compelled to answer a thread when it involves food?) 

ROTFLMAO.gif

Me, too.  I make popcorn for my kids but I'm not eating grains, either.  Oh well, I'm feeling so good it (almost) makes up for it!

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#97 of 105 Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

???? popcorn is a GRAIN????

what??? is corn a grain or a vegetable? hmm. the plant does look like a grass - but are the stalks hollow?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#98 of 105 Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Corn is definitely a grain. It's a member of the grass family, just like rice.

I aspire to be grain free, but hubby is not on board. The baby is grain free & the older kiddo was grain free till he was almost three. I have to admit that his behavior & health don't seem any different on the limited organic grains he gets. And it makes social situations a lot easier...
#99 of 105 Old 08-07-2013, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

Cyclamen, that sounds pretty messy but we might try it sometime. Thank you!

It's not messy at all. When we do it our pot has a tiny bit of oil left on the bottom and that's it. It's one of the least messy cooking things I do lol.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#100 of 105 Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

I would love to have seen this! lol.gif

Do you... uh.... have to stop and clean up any droppings your horse leaves behind on the roads? Just curious. shy.gif

No, we live out country roads, then it goes immediately to city really suddenly. The drive thru is right on the edge so not much of a chance of any droppings in the short time we're actually in the city. On the roads we ride on "road apples" are a common sight.

Besides, unlike dog poo, horse manure is generally not a vector for disease, and it's extremely good fertilizer. The companies that landscape the roads here pay good money to buy horse manure, we give it to them free!

Peaceful, homeschooling, UC/HBing, select vaxing, breastfeeding, intactivist mama to a bunch of small people.

#101 of 105 Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well, I realize this is lightweight stuff compared to many mamas here, but I'm feeling extra crunchy tonight because for dinner I cooked my family a stirfry made exclusively from organic veggies grown in my garden.  We only moved into this house a year and 1/2 ago, and this is the first year I've had a serious veggie garden, so hopefully this will become such a regular thing that it won't even register on my crunchometer, but for tonight I'm super pleased.  

As for my regular, usual crunchiness, we had a home birth, don't vax, didn't circumcise, used cloth diapers (even when traveling to Europe), I made my own babyfood, I babywore, I'm still BFing a 3.5 yo, we try our best to do organic, non GMO foods, oh, and we recently traveled to Cuba with 3 yo DS.  I guess I should have listed that as my crunchiest thing.  Though I confess I did break down and use disposable training pants during that trip. (a month of cloth diapers or training pants with no place to easily wash them just didn't sound like fun.) I did wear him through much of the trip, though, and came home with the pinched nerve to prove it. (In fairness to DS, that might have been the heavy backpack I was frequently wearing -- this was a research trip, and darn, books are heavy.) 

Lazurii likes this.
#102 of 105 Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My country crunchy list would be all from scratch paleo foods, garden, chickens, composting, canning. Hygiene: rare deodorant, no makeup, simple hairstyle, homemade soap, sewn cloth pads. Kids: cloth diaper, babywearing, breastfeed until past 2 years, homeschooling. Nothing really wacky or stand out but the whole deal is a pretty crunch lifestyle.

#103 of 105 Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM

We don't do routine doctor visits either. When needed for "politics" of a school or child care we visit our super crunchy doctor who of course is out of network. We make / try tons of natural remedies when sick

Elimination Communication - I did it before I even knew that it was a "thing" and now that number 3 is on the way have explained to my elder kids what we did with them - they thought it was cool

Limited TV / screen use, Babywearing & Bed Sharing (which luckily is no longer so crunchy), Diva cup, cloth pads / diapers when needed

That I'm working towards birthing out of the hospital for our 3rd baby - after 2 c's

We just made our first homemade tooth powder and am about to start trying to ferment veggies

I nurse my almost 4 year old (not that he is getting anything but drops and my discomfort while I'm pregnant) but it still soothes him greatly and have tandemed with his older sister when she thinks she ought to try it

And luckily I'm no longer too much outside the norm that my kids understand the importance of composting, non GMOs, rain barrels, not eating things with food dyes, eating organic and locally grown or home grown. We don't eat meat but my children do understand that my hope is that if one day they decide to eat it that it is locally raised with no hormones, eats organic and is lovingly cared for.

#104 of 105 Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 PM

This is so inspiring for a newbie here.

My extra crunchy things:

-Raise alpacas for fiber and use their manure for compost

-Only flush toilet for #2 or when it is close to smelling

-Biodynamic farming (we make preparations from animal parts for the garden)

-Natural family planning

-Get Raw milk in exchange for vegetables weekly

-We have only used air conditioning once this year, after it was too hot to sleep

-Cold showers

mamazee, Lazurii and youngmom89 like this.

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

#105 of 105 Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM

I never think of myself as very "crunchy" (everything I do just seems.....well, natural!).  Here's the things I can think of:

• born on intentional hippy community, The Farm, with Ina May Gaskin as my mom's midwife
  • use fertility awareness method and gladrags....I'm aware of the changes in me all throughout my cycle and am always sharing them with DH
  • don't take meds for my epilepsy ("manage" with acupuncture, neurofeedback and other natural treatments)
  • I have pics/tapetries of Hindu dieties allover our house, a meditation room, a Guru and always say "spirituality" instead of "religion"
  • my dad owns a health food store and my mom works at a juice bar
  • used elimination communication
  • had an unassisted birth
  • DH cooked placenta after babies' births
  • buy all kinds of grains/legumes in 25 lb (or more) bags and have a large pantry filled with glass jars of them and of lots of different spices/herbs
  • my kids think it is a big treat to chew up spirulina tablets!
  • home education with lots of "free time"
  • 5 year-old son reads nutritional labels himself before buying/eating anything and shares his opinions with others on the item's health value
  • 8 year old son loves to do yoga and meditate with me

Tags
Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page