Fess up: What makes you "crunchier" than anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We've talked about confessing areas where we aren't so AP/NFL, and we've talked about our triumphs, and I think it's been fun. smile.gif

So here's another one: What do you do that is really crunchy, something really outside of the average?

For me, it's something that I think is fairly common here really, but people IRL think I'm crazy. I use a Diva Cup and it's awesome.

Staff Note: Would you like to leave respond to this thread? Only Mothering Members can post - and you can become one too! We offer easy Facebook Connect and new account registration. 

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#2 of 105 Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use family cloth, I send my breastmilk to daycare in mason jars and I only wash my hair once a week
#3 of 105 Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM

Here's my cream of the crunch list  orngbiggrin.gif

Unschooling. Lots of people can't wrap their head around it. 

We don't do routine doctor visits. We go years without seeing a doctor! I only go if the doctor has something I need that I can't do myself - antibiotics, x-rays, and stitches. And we only do that if we are pretty dang certain its needed. Time heals most everything.

EC. Cloth diapers are kind of weird in the mainstream but EC really makes their heads spin. 

We went about a year with very little technology at home. No TV, no computer, no cell phone. 

Pretty sure we all had pertussis this last winter. Not fun but we survived and didn't need any medical intervention.

And we have this crazy dream of living off grid that just won't go away. Sigh.

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#4 of 105 Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Probably almost never using diapers on my now 17mth old...we EC, but i mean, we rarely used diapers at all since birth...

Making my own yoghurt???

I was thinking about the term 'crunchy' just yesterday when i read the ingredients for 'granola'... wheat products, grain products....crunchy is a 70's notion...going grain free is  the 'crunchy' thing now for many people....

rumi and Maegan Dean like this.
#5 of 105 Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM

I wear make up maybe twice a year
I own three pairs of shoes- sandles for 75 percent if the time and shoes for snow and somewhere a pair if dress shoes. Most of my clothes are gifts or thrift store, I never shop except for underwear.
edensmama and Atty like this.
#6 of 105 Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I feed my produce scraps to worms that live in a box in my kitchen.

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 105 Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama626 View Post

Is not wearing make-up crunchy?  I thought I was just being lazy and annoyed with applying it!  I haven't worn make-up at all for 20 years.  Maybe I really do have something truly crunchier-than-thou!  Add in unschooling... only wear deodorant when I'm going out and about (if I remember).... 

Man! and I thought I was just slightly-stale and chewy..... winky.gif

Atty likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#8 of 105 Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 PM

Lol sweet silver, you have a good point, I really am just lazy. All my "crunchiness" is just based on a lack of hygiene. No leg shaving, makeup, lack of desire to buy new clothes and hair in a perpetual pony tail. Ill start the what makes you the least groomed person thread.

Though I really do want to get some worms to feed my food scraps to, I think my daughter would love it.
#9 of 105 Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Is not wearing make-up crunchy?  I thought I was just being lazy and annoyed with applying it!  I haven't worn make-up at all for 20 years.  Maybe I really do have something truly crunchier-than-thou!  Add in unschooling... only wear deodorant when I'm going out and about (if I remember).... 

Man! and I thought I was just slightly-stale and chewy..... winky.gif

You sound just like me. I haven't worn makeup since I was in theater in high school, and theater was the only time I ever wore it.

And when I do wear deodorant, it's homemade from coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and (homemade) vanilla extract. In my defense, it works really well, and I'd wear it every day if I didn't have sensitive armpits, which is what led me to seek out homemade recipes in the first place. Store bought "natural" deodorants make me break out in horrible giant blisters.

Speaking of sensitive armpits, that's really the only reason I don't shave them, too. I shave my legs EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. because stubble drives me insane, but that's all I shave. I was recently reading a thread on another forum about shaving, and it seemed like the vast majority shaved their forearms, and I've seriously never really even heard of that. A friend of mine did it in 6th grade once, but that's the ONLY time I've ever heard of it before now, and I thought she was just being weird and random. Is it a new thing? Is it a dark hair thing? (I'm blonde - I'd probably do a lot more hair removal if I wasn't). Does anyone bothering to read this thread actually shave their forearms?

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#10 of 105 Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM

I am well on my way to being an IRL Herbalist & I have nursed two children over 3.5 years!
#11 of 105 Old 07-21-2013, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hmmmm, I don't know.  I used to no poo, and no pooed for a number of years, but I stopped awhile back and haven't gotten back into it.  This was definitely something people thought was weird, and it came up because when I was on vacation and at my mom's house, I asked if she had vinegar, and she didn't have any, and then somehow I became the topic of conversation among my entire family.

I gave EC a try with my first in 1999, but I didn't stick with it because I just wasn't picking up her cues.

I also use a diva cup and cloth pads, although my cloth pads are mostly old prefolds.

This one is controversial, I know, but I choose to spend most of my income on locally raised meat, eggs and organics.  I figure if I don't wear make-up and buy shoes, and I cut my own hair (I just cut my hair on Wednesday), and I stop eating out, there is really no reason not to spend the money on something that I think matters.  If I were really crunchy, I'd have my own chickens, but I'm not that far gone. :)  I do try to garden, and I've grown my own sprouts.

I've also nursed a 5 year old...I think she asked once when she was 6, also.

vanni and Atty like this.
#12 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

You sound just like me. I haven't worn makeup since I was in theater in high school, and theater was the only time I ever wore it.

And when I do wear deodorant, it's homemade from coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and (homemade) vanilla extract. In my defense, it works really well, and I'd wear it every day if I didn't have sensitive armpits, which is what led me to seek out homemade recipes in the first place. Store bought "natural" deodorants make me break out in horrible giant blisters.

Speaking of sensitive armpits, that's really the only reason I don't shave them, too. I shave my legs EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. because stubble drives me insane, but that's all I shave. I was recently reading a thread on another forum about shaving, and it seemed like the vast majority shaved their forearms, and I've seriously never really even heard of that. A friend of mine did it in 6th grade once, but that's the ONLY time I've ever heard of it before now, and I thought she was just being weird and random. Is it a new thing? Is it a dark hair thing? (I'm blonde - I'd probably do a lot more hair removal if I wasn't). Does anyone bothering to read this thread actually shave their forearms?

Shaving forearms? Huh? Why? I hope that doesn't catch on around here. That seems crazy to me.
#13 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Ah! That's me with the "only ever wore make-up in theater"! I put that in my "frumpy" list, usually smile.gif

I was once very crunchy - no shaving, dreadlocks, patchwork pants, always tromping around at protests with a homemade drum.... Ah, those were the days.
#14 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Shaving forearms? Huh? Why? I hope that doesn't catch on around here. That seems crazy to me.

To me, armhair isn't even noteable. Even this past weekend when I was trying to look to see whether everyone else on the planet is shaving their forearms or not, I still didn't notice it, and still couldn't tell you. 

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#15 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM

I'm really not crunchy at all anymore, but I like herb teas and putting crystals (like stones) in my baths!  And I believe that the best treatment for a fever is to sweat it out under a lot of blankets, take hot baths, and sleep a lot.  At this point in my life, that's pretty much it; my kid and I spent all day watching Wonderpets and eating bologna and potato chips.

Wait, I also have a weird aversion to air conditioning.  I always felt like it gave me a headache.  So now, every summer, we suffer through the heat with box fans.  But I dunno.... a/c is starting to sound pretty nice.

#16 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 PM

I'm a home birth midwife.

We live in Oregon, which gives us extra crunchy points.

edensmama likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#17 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM

I encapsulate placentas, make tinctures, salves, prints and herbal tonics with them. I think that's my crunchiest trait, other than the usual homebirth, babywear, cloth diaper, bed share, extended BF... Etc etc we do smile.gif
Atty and Stephafriendly like this.
#18 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM

I ate my placenta after one of my homebirths! I swore I would NEVER..... bwahahahahaha!!!

Edited to add: That's the most "crunchy" thing I think I've ever done in the 'crunchy' category. I've done many of the other "stereotypical things" placenta tincture, planting one placenta under a tree (that's the one I ate a piece of after birth), home birth, full term breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, ap parenting, making my own laundry soap, diva cup (no mama cloth yet) and babywearing.

#19 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM

My response will probably be "WAY OUT THERE" compared to everyone else.  We follow strict circadian cycles.  in the winter after the sun sets, which is around 4pm we only use candles or red headlamps for lighting. we turn off our circuit breakers at night, with the exception to our deep freezer and fridge.   We don't turn on lights powered by electricity at night.  Its easy in the summer b/c its dark until almost 9pm.  We also keep our heat turned down as low as possible.  Last year we kept our heat about 58 deg, planning on trying to knock it down to 54 this coming winter. 

We also do cold baths during the winter outside.  We're just starting to work the kids into taking colds baths as well to build a tolerance to cold.  by the end of last winter I could easily sit in water just above freezing for 20mins.  It also improved my heatlh, as my highly sensitive CRP dropped to .2 by late january.  We've discovered that by embracing the cold in the winter, we have a higher heat tolerance in the summer and don't need to keep our ac blasting all summer.

we did cloth diaper with both children and nursed/pumped as long as my supply lasted and my children were interested.  we harvest wild edibles from the neighborhood, and make our own yogurt, and saurekraut, and have our own vegetable garden, and buy our meat from a local farmer. 

#20 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM

I use homemade cloth menstrual pads. I've tried a bunch of different "store-bought" brands of them as well, but the ones I make work best for me. Drives my partner crazy to have them soaking and then hanging around before I wash them.

buffalomama11 likes this.
#21 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM

One thing I do is my kids rarely drink anything other than water. Juice is for family parties / holidays and special treats. We don't do cow's milk at all.  I don't bring pop into our home at all. We do like to make smoothies but I use almond milk.

I don't bathe my kids that often. I usually forget the last time they have had baths and its usually then that I say we should probably bathe now LOL. It is still about once a week, but they don't smell or anything and when we do bathe I rarely use soap on them.

Atty likes this.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#22 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM

I ate my placenta....raw.
After being a vegetarian for 20 years, a vegan for a good few of those...I now eat meat but only sustainable game....and mostly just road kill.  That's pretty crunchie right?

I have no only breastfed my own children, donated my milk to many others through 'human milk 4 human babies' on Facebook but I have also 'wet nursed' other children. 

I don't even consider myself crunchie! lmao  I have a shower every day, I wash my hair everyday and I iron all my clothes every day!  I do use an eco friendly hoover and hair dryer though! hehe

The thing that has made me totally un-crunchie today is that I used a round up week killer on a bloody bindweed that is killing my shrubs....when I was reading the back of the container, I realised the stuff is owned by Monsanto!!!  Woops!  .....Die weed die! lmao

4lilfarmers likes this.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#23 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM

I've had 3 unassisted births, for now I think that's my biggest crunchy badge peace.gif
We homeschool, do not vax, use herbal and homeopathic remedies, grow most of our own meats, have our own dairy animals, make our own yogurt and cheese, I use a diva cup, we cloth diaper and line dry, re-purpose clothing by sewing rather than buying more. We use natural cleaners, enjoy thriftshopping and the kids and I rarely wear socks 3 seasons of the year!

We heat our entire home exclusively with wood and 90% of our meals are made from scratch. I can/freeze/preserve/dry as much as possible!

Writing all this out reminds me why my mainstream friends think I'm weird winky.gif

I shaved my forearms for several years, the dark hair really icks me out. Now it doesn't grow in dark or thick, contrary to what my grandma lectured me about shrug.gif

Atty likes this.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#24 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijin13 View Post

My response will probably be "WAY OUT THERE" compared to everyone else.  We follow strict circadian cycles.  in the winter after the sun sets, which is around 4pm we only use candles or red headlamps for lighting. we turn off our circuit breakers at night, with the exception to our deep freezer and fridge.   We don't turn on lights powered by electricity at night.  Its easy in the summer b/c its dark until almost 9pm.  We also keep our heat turned down as low as possible.  Last year we kept our heat about 58 deg, planning on trying to knock it down to 54 this coming winter. 

We also do cold baths during the winter outside.  We're just starting to work the kids into taking colds baths as well to build a tolerance to cold.  by the end of last winter I could easily sit in water just above freezing for 20mins.  It also improved my heatlh, as my highly sensitive CRP dropped to .2 by late january.  We've discovered that by embracing the cold in the winter, we have a higher heat tolerance in the summer and don't need to keep our ac blasting all summer.

we did cloth diaper with both children and nursed/pumped as long as my supply lasted and my children were interested.  we harvest wild edibles from the neighborhood, and make our own yogurt, and saurekraut, and have our own vegetable garden, and buy our meat from a local farmer. 

You and your family are inspiring to me. That is interesting about the use of only natural lighting after the sun sets, it sounds like its very good for overall health. I've never heard of taking cold baths outside in the winter, but i can understand how thats beneficial for building tolerance to the cold. Its amazing to me that it also helps with not feeling too hot, too, that makes total sense.

AFM, i've been using the same dozen cloth pads for over five years now and they're still in great condition. I will never use anything else, except maybe new cloth pads at some point winky.gif.

I've had unassisted births, the second one i was alone. My intuition was deepened and the experiences were very empowering.

I take hemp oil and i love chia seeds and bee pollen. I ate a raw vegan diet for two years, which vastly improved my health, especially my digestive health.
#25 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 PM

I rode a horse through a drive-thru this morning. Hey, it would have taken me 30+ minutes to get through traffic in a car!  I got there in under 15 and we got fresh air too. 

Even you ladies running your RVs and cars on straight veggie oil can't beat my ride for fuel efficiency. Most of the food she eats was grown by us too, and she makes free eco-friendly fertilizer. NO WASTE!

I did, however, get 2 chemical-laden bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuits for myself and the kiddo who came with. With coffee. And apple dippers for the trusty steeds. All with disposable and decidedly not eco-friendly packaging. So I guess my ultra-crunch mode of transport was negated by the activity it was used for, LOL.

Peaceful, homeschooling, UC/HBing, select vaxing, breastfeeding, intactivist mama to a bunch of small people.

#26 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM

You just made me laugh out loud.  I love it that you rode your horse through a fast food place for junk food. Hilarious!  :)

#27 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Let's see. I use sea sponge tampons and sew my own cloth menstrual pads. They are the best! I HATE store bought commercial pads. I used cloth on my kids so why wouldn't I use cloth for myself? I also used to use my breast milk for all kinds of ailments- including putting it in my babies' eyes when they were irritated.It's like magic.

srieger likes this.
#28 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenHardy View Post

You just made me laugh out loud.  I love it that you rode your horse through a fast food place for junk food. Hilarious!  :)

It's not the worst I've done, believe you me! I lacked a car through most of college and lived in a small rural college town. Made for some interesting situations when your "car" had 4 legs.

My oldest 2 and my older nieces/nephews ride them all over nowadays. Safest way to travel independently for kids, even with the risk of falling. No one messes with a half a ton of muscle. More visible to cars than walkers or bikers. They can get home in a good hurry if they need to. Gets some weird stares, but hey, it works and affords them a great deal of independence!

Peaceful, homeschooling, UC/HBing, select vaxing, breastfeeding, intactivist mama to a bunch of small people.

#29 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama626 View Post

I own three pairs of shoes- sandles for 75 percent if the time and shoes for snow and somewhere a pair if dress shoes. Most of my clothes are gifts or thrift store, I never shop except for underwear.

Lol...it also just kinda sounds like you live in San Diego. There's flip flops, uggs, and a "real' pair of shoes. And awesome thrift shopping. And why bother with makeup when you're in and out of the water. Wait. Maybe I'm crunchy.
#30 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM

These posts make me feel so mainstream! I wish I was more crunchy than I am. I'm still breastfeeding my 34 month old, I cloth diapered for the most part and we co-slept until just a few months ago. I buy organic produce, but I've really fallen off the wagon when it comes to meat and processed foods. I do take beverages to work in canning jars and wash and reuse plastic bags, but not as many as I used to. 

Tags
Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page