Best Summer Products? Spam me with links! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Okay, what did you try this summer that you absolutely loved? What worked great for you or was a new find that you had to rave about?

Or, what is a tried and true thing that you know will be perfect every summer?  

This can be anything! Sunscreen, toys, food, books, anything!!! I would love to know what you found that is awesome for your family. (And I bet other people would too!)

We found these this summer: http://happyfamilybrands.com/product_lines/happy-creamies/

My older daughter loved the yogurt drops when she was little, but baby #2 is not so good with the dairy and I was bummed, but then we found these.  Coconut milk, probiotics, fruit.  She loves them and they are a great on the go snack. 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My favorite article this summer has been hands down the Eno Double Nest Hammock from REI. Has anyone here ever used any of these? I absolutely love them!! (Disclaimer: the picture below is one I found on the Internet, I didn't take it myself.) 

The hammock is made of parachute fabric, this really soft silk-like nylon. It is super sturdy (it fit me and my boyfriend in it at the same time) and also packs super light, which makes it super easy to carry with you on any trip. To give you an idea, it packs up to about the size of half a pillow, if not less. 

Kinda pricey, but it will last you forever. 

#3 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

This is a hard question for me but the one thing we(my son) cannot live without this summer is summer fruit. We have to have strawberries,blueberries,nanas,grapes and fuji apples everyday. The winter days will return soon and we are not looking forward to not having so much fruit to eat!

Oh Oh I just though of one. My son has been living in his Cros. He absolutely loves them. He is 2 and everyday I ask which shoes he wants to wear and he say'Cros" everyday.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-kids-classic/10006,default,pd.html?cid=320&cgid=toddler-shoes

#4 of 10 Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Monica, that hammock looks amazing. I wish we had somewhere to hang one!  

tracyamber, my kid lived in Crocs for years. I miss the Mary Jane style they used to have.

Okay, here's another one from me:

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/insulated/klean-kanteen-insulated.php

The insulated Klean Kanteen has been awesome! I use it for my coffee in the morning and I no longer have that moment of finding my coffee cup where I left it two hours ago, now cold.  Coffee is still warm and ready to go.  And then in the afternoon, I put cold/ice water in it and it stays icy for hours. It's great! 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 10 Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't know there WAS an insulated Klean Kanteen!

We've been making homemade icy pops all summer with one of these: http://www.zokuhome.com/pages/products-quickpop-maker You can use real juice, real fruit, etc. Beats HFCS and food coloring in regular popsicles, and they're fun to make.
#6 of 10 Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM

No products (that cost money) here. We've been celebrating our brokeness with the Oregon summer lunch program:

http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/

It's pretty cool. There are a few locations in our town that are parks, so I can take the kids to the park for free lunch, then let them play at the park.

ian'smommaya likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hoping to avoid too much spending here too.

We've been making lots of home made ice lollies, using plastic moulds form IKEA we bought a couple of years back. Lots of options for flavours.

Moonsand - again we made our own from a recipe we found. 8 cups of flour & 1 cup of baby oil mixed together. Both kids have been playing with this for ages, DD even had a friend round who went home and made more :-). It's not abrasive like sand so I've been much happier letting DS use various toys with it. A set of plastic dinosaurs and a small paintbrush kept him busy for quite a while.

Mission Explore website - http://www.missionexplore.net/ free to join website with loads of activities to complete over the summer. Lots we've been able to do at home or very locally.

#8 of 10 Old 08-01-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

No products (that cost money) here. We've been celebrating our brokeness with the Oregon summer lunch program:

http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/

It's pretty cool. There are a few locations in our town that are parks, so I can take the kids to the park for free lunch, then let them play at the park.

That's such a great program!  

#9 of 10 Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM

We spent a week at the sea, and my son fell in love with some Haba beach toys we found at the 5 & 10..more specifically, the ice cream cones + ice cream scooper..he literally spent hours making us cones with seaweed/stones/shells and whatever he could find. It was like bringing his favorite thing (kitchen play stuff) to the shore! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#10 of 10 Old 08-04-2013, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Ok, well, you asked... 

When I got home from two weeks at the beach (and a week where DH was home alone), we had a new appliance that I am in LOVE with. Seriously. I'm not a gadget person and I rarely think they actually create less work and stress but the Dyson cordless vacuum is sent from heaven to help those of us who hate to clean. 

It's a million dollars too if you like to spend your hard-earned money on cleaning supplies. orngtongue.gif

DH got ours refurbished, at least.  Worth it!  

Other products...

I'm a learning to swim floaty snob but my toddler tried this Puddle Jumper and was impressed by its function, comfort and that it is actually rated as a flotation device (may main gripe with most floaties).  Still, I think it creates over-confidence in the water but it's not a bad trade off considering how comfortable it is because toddlers may be willing to keep it on around the pool. And, it seemed to help with learning to move around the pool, though I'm not sure about that considering how learning to float is sorta key to learning to swim. ;-)  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Tags
Klean Kanteen , Happy Baby , Haba , Haba Ball Track Roll N Roll N Roll

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page