What would you do? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: You walk into a fast food establishment and your ten year old daughter points out that the woman ser
Say something to the employee right then and there 1 25.00%
Say nothing but call and complain to a manager later 7 100.00%
Say nothing, just talk to your child about it 12 100.00%
something else 3 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious what others would do

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would confirm first. Some foreign name can be spelled in a way that can seem offensive to a an English speaker. and vice versa.

#3 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

that's a good point

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#4 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 AM

I wouldn't confront an employee.  I would call the manger and inform them. 

Twice I've called Jimmy John's to let them know their delivery guys use handicapped parking to make deliveries.  They were very nice and receptive.

#5 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM

I honestly don't think I'd care about that issue. Using a handicapped spot can negatively affect someone who really needs the spot, but calling oneself the b-word (if the employee was indeed doing that) doesn't really affect others. But then, both of my daughters are familiar with the b-word, and other forms of profanity, and seem to have good sense about not using them in inappropriate settings. So seeing profanity on a name tag isn't going to suddenly make them start saying the word over and over again. They can already use profanity all they want to at home.

I think I'd tell my child that having the b-word on her own nametag, when she herself is working, wouldn't exactly be a path to success, as so many people are offended by profanity. I don't see it as the smartest choice on the employee's part, because someone probably will complain eventually, and it could cost her her job.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#6 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

I would confirm first. Some foreign name can be spelled in a way that can seem offensive to a an English speaker. and vice versa.
Exactly this. I went to school with a girl whose name looked a lot like an offensive word. It was pronounced differently but anyone seeing it on a name tag would have done a double take.
#7 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would ask to speak with the manager at that moment and bring it to their attention.  Depending on their reaction, I might continue and contact corporate (if they blew me off).

Sorry, but I refuse to submit to profanity in public places, where there ARE controls to stop it.  The employee should be taken to task for doing this.  Obviously, it was done on purpose.

I have no problem with speaking up and asking people to "keep it clean"  regarding profanity when children are around.

What you do or say, in your own home, is your own business.  In public, keep it decent and show some respect to the people around you. 

swede likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 AM

I'd probably double check and then chuckle. I don't really care. Personally I would think it was tacky, but I would keep that thought to myself. If she had the F word or N word, then I would confront her though. No her manager, but her. I don't like starting at the top. 

#9 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You mean the B word that means a female dog?  I'm not sure that's bad enough even to be called "profanity."  I'd probably just laugh and point out to my kid that it probably wasn't going to help the waitress get more tips.  It doesn't harm me in any way if someone has a rude word on their nametag, so I would never even consider complaining to management.

mamarhu and rachelsmama like this.
#10 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post

I honestly don't think I'd care about that issue. Using a handicapped spot can negatively affect someone who really needs the spot, but calling oneself the b-word (if the employee was indeed doing that) doesn't really affect others. But then, both of my daughters are familiar with the b-word, and other forms of profanity, and seem to have good sense about not using them in inappropriate settings. So seeing profanity on a name tag isn't going to suddenly make them start saying the word over and over again. They can already use profanity all they want to at home.

I think I'd tell my child that having the b-word on her own nametag, when she herself is working, wouldn't exactly be a path to success, as so many people are offended by profanity. I don't see it as the smartest choice on the employee's part, because someone probably will complain eventually, and it could cost her her job.

The reason I called wasn't so much about the space not being available for someone else, but that it looks really bad on your company to use handicapped spots.  I'd feel the same way about cursing employees or bad words on name tags.  In my past life I was a retail manager and if one of my employees was doing something that presented my company in a negative way I'd want to know.  

#11 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 AM

I never would have even thought about this as an issue before, but now that my daughter is learning to read, she sounds out everything. What a pain and so unnecessary to have to spell out to a child what someone's name tag says that is obviously so immature they need to let the public know.

#12 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

You mean the B word that means a female dog?  I'm not sure that's bad enough even to be called "profanity."  I'd probably just laugh and point out to my kid that it probably wasn't going to help the waitress get more tips.  It doesn't harm me in any way if someone has a rude word on their nametag, so I would never even consider complaining to management.

Same here.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#13 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 12:15 AM

I might go, "Excuse me, how do you pronounce that?"

rachelsmama likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#14 of 15 Old 08-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

you used the word woman in your poll wording. 

was it a woman or a teenager or young un - thinking its really funny?

if it was a teen i'd do nothing. i'd look at my dd roll my eyes and say teenagers sometimes do silly things. 

to me the context matters a lot. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#15 of 15 Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

Me too. If my child noticed it, I might make some joke (privately, to my child) that her mom must have been angry when she named her that, or whatever. In our family, that incident would probably be fuel for days of joking about what not to name your baby. That is just our style. Even if it were a truly "bad" word, it would not occur to me to make any kind of issue of it. We run into all sorts of people and their strangeness, and I would prefer to teach my kids not to get upset over things that don't effect them.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page