Do you wear shoes inside? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ALWAYS!

I'm a devoted "Fly baby" and the Fly Lady finally opened my eyes to how important it is.  

After my whole life of not wearing GOOD shoes, my feet are miserable unless I'm wearing my Merrell shoes!  With my shoes on, I am ready for anything at anytime.  Too, I can go all day long with a good pair of shoes.  Once the shoes are off, I'm shot for the day.  Shoes = miraculous energy. All.Day.Long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Before I met my husband I used to wear shoes indoor sometimes.   But he grew up in the former USSR and is really grossed out by the idea of shoes inside.  Now that we live together no one wears shoes inside.  I have to say I love it, because the floors don't get dirty as quickly.  Also because I always know where my shoes are!  When I lived alone I'd kick them off in all kinds of random places in my apartment. Now we have a shoe rack near the door.  I never ask guests to take off their shoes, though.  Some do and some don't.

My son plays outside barefoot sometimes and it amazes me that it doesn't bother him.  Our grass is thick and not at all soft.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLaura View Post

What about hotel rooms? Shoes off or on? I tend to think that hotels aren't particularly clean, so I prefer to leave them on at hotels even though we don't wear shoes inside our house. I was recently admonished by a relative in Japan who pulled me back out of my own hotel room and insisted that I remove my shoes first. I know its a cultural thing in Japan, but I didn't realize it extended to hotels...

Ewwwwww! Definitely shoes in hotel rooms! Flip flops in the shower too! You don't know what is on those floors. We also throw th comforter back and don't sit, lay on or cover up with that. Lol.

I definitely look around when entering the home of someone else and make a shoe decision based on that. Are they wearing shoes? Is there a place for shoes? If I'm not sure I ask and do whatever is appropriate.
Im curious about other hotel views! My reaction when i read that actually made me laugh! Good spin!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

We wear house shoes (sandals or slippers) or go barefoot indoors.  Living in FL I have a hard time keeping my kids in shoes when we're outdoors :)  My only rule is shoes in stores, restaurants and other places where it's considered necessary.  We keep the a set of shoes for the kids in the car since they so rarely wear them. 

Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM

What's a fly baby?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
It is someone who follows www.flylady.net
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM

I hate being without something on my feet, so I usually am in flipflops or slippers inside and whatever suits the weather outside. I try to get the children to wear shoes outside but it's a bit of an uphill battle.

I don't ask guests to remove shoes, since I like to have mine on. When I was a child my socks were always gross (no laundry in house + hoarder family = yuck) so I was always super terrified that I might get asked to take off my shoes. If I did, I would whip off the socks too and stuff them deep inside the shoes and kinda hide the whole setup in the corner.

Nowadays I judge whether or not to remove my shoes at someone's home by looking at my host. If they are wearing shoes, mine stay on. If they aren't, off mine come. (they smell much better now, lol)

Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 AM

We take off shoes at the door and leave on a rack/on a mat.  As others have said, we sometimes run inside with shoes on if we need to grab something quickly, although in wet seasons or on wet days, we take them off even for a quick run-in.  I have a basket of slippers at the front door for guests.  Our friends have shoes-off houses, mostly, so they take theirs off at the door (and we always take my shoes off at the door at other people's homes). Family is a different story...our parents usually leave their shoes on, which really bugs me, especially in (our looooong) wintertime, when they are dripping snowmelt and road salt/sand all over the place. Though our floors are not spotless (1 dog, 2 cats, preschooler, etc), I just think that dust and crumbs are different than a mucky/chemical-y mess.  

We have a dog and I insist on shoes out in the yard unless it's just playing in the wading pool (and I've picked up the poo).  Also, our home is 120 years old, so our yard is always purging up something weird/sharp (broken glass, bits of metal, a screw, whatever).  We also got chickens this year, so we each have a pair of old beater shoes that are worn into the chicken yard. If anyone visiting wants to go in the chicken yard, I ask them to remove their shoes when they go back inside; that's not really negotiable for me (although, logically, the dog could just as easily walk in her own poo and track those yucks inside). 

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I have no opinion on shoes in the house exactly - I just hate shoes in general. I take them off at any opportunity - while driving, at a meeting for work (hopefully, no one is looking under the table!), most anytime. My kids take off shoes in the house, but not right at the door. I would never ask a guest to remove their shoes - this is not a cleanliness thing at all for me. 

As for outdoors - same thing: whenever I can, I am barefoot. I wear Birkenstock sandals year 'round (easy to slip off), and knit my own socks for winter wear. DD, 18, considers this a fashion felony. 

On a dare in 1969, I went for an entire year barefoot. I went to the opera, hiking in Death Valley, and rode on several airplanes, not to mention restaurants. 

Living in tropical countries, I went barefoot year 'round, even when the locals advised against it. Bad plan. I picked up a fungus that took 15 years to go away. Lesson learned: listen to local wisdom.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLaura View Post

What about hotel rooms? Shoes off or on? I tend to think that hotels aren't particularly clean, so I prefer to leave them on at hotels even though we don't wear shoes inside our house. I was recently admonished by a relative in Japan who pulled me back out of my own hotel room and insisted that I remove my shoes first. I know its a cultural thing in Japan, but I didn't realize it extended to hotels...

Depends a little on the hotel/motel. I usually take them off, but most of the hotels are fairly well maintained and I see housekeeping vacuuming so I don't think the floors are too nasty. I have stayed in some dodgy places when on long road trips though and you're right, I've tended to keep my shoes on. 

Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSlager View Post

ALWAYS!

I'm a devoted "Fly baby" and the Fly Lady finally opened my eyes to how important it is.  

After my whole life of not wearing GOOD shoes, my feet are miserable unless I'm wearing my Merrell shoes!  With my shoes on, I am ready for anything at anytime.  Too, I can go all day long with a good pair of shoes.  Once the shoes are off, I'm shot for the day.  Shoes = miraculous energy. All.Day.Long.

Funny. I don't follow Flylady anymore but I tried her site many years ago. The whole shoes things was something I never got, even though I appreciated quite a few of her other tips and still use some of them. But the shoes thing, I disagreed with completely. FWIW, I think a lot of people are dependent on shoes after a lifetime of wearing them. Feet and ankle muscles are weakened, sensory feedback is poorly developed and they have to rely on shoes totally. 

Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

We're a shoes-off household.  I ask guests to remove their shoes (most notice the pile by the door and do it without being asked), but I make exceptions for some older relatives who have a hard time getting in and out of shoes, and have orthotics.  To be fair, though, the same physical issues that make it hard to get in and out of shoes also make it difficult for them to get around enough to get their shoes dirty.  I also make exceptions for repair-people; they tend to be constantly popping out to the truck to get something, and their work sometimes makes safety boots necessary, so I just plan to clean the floor once they've left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Funny. I don't follow Flylady anymore but I tried her site many years ago. The whole shoes things was something I never got, even though I appreciated quite a few of her other tips and still use some of them. But the shoes thing, I disagreed with completely. FWIW, I think a lot of people are dependent on shoes after a lifetime of wearing them. Feet and ankle muscles are weakened, sensory feedback is poorly developed and they have to rely on shoes totally. 

I agree with all of this. 

Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 PM

We always take our shoes off when we enter the house.  We put them on just before leaving the house.  We have a bench that we store our shoes in right next to the front door, so that keeps things pretty tidy.

DH and I both grew up in shoe-wearing households, although, looking back, I really don't get it.  It seems so yucky to me to wear shoes inside and on the carpet.  Anyway, over the last 15 years, DH and I sometimes worn shoes inside the house, but once we had our son, we stopped wearing shoes inside for good.

It totally grosses me out when my inlaws come over and wear their shoes all over our carpet.  I mean, it is really obvious that our son picks up EVERYTHING off the floor and puts it into his mouth.  And our newborn will be doing the same soon.  I'd like to ask them to remove their shoes, but they are kind of odd about things and I'm sure it would turn into a huge deal.  In fact, they actually yell at my DH when he takes his shoes off in their house.  My MIL yells at him to leave his shoes on because the floor is dirty.  That's her rationale.  I'd like to point out that if they just didn't wear shoes in their own home, the floor probably wouldn't be "dirty." Sigh.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 AM

We don't wear shoes in the house, ever. The only real rule is keep them where you can find them or I'm pulling out a pair that you may or may not like as much next time you can't find them.

I'm weird about the whole barefoot outside thing. Mainly because my daughter's father is highly allergic to bees and if he gets bit has to go straight to the hospital via ambulance. They said the allergy could be passed down. So, I'd rather my daughter not accidentally step on a bee.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Do you wear shoes? Always or never or somewhere in between?

Do you have rules about shoes for your kids?

Do your kids ever play outside barefoot?

I tend to not wear shoes if I don't have to, especially not in the house, though I've taken to wearing slippers in the winter (over 40--what can you do?) but I don't have a particular rule.  We tend to take shoes off at the door because we have chickens and the weirdest soil that makes mud at the slightest drop of rain.  Everyone is very polite about asking about taking shoes off, but I tell them we do it only because we  are gardeners and our shoes track in too much and they are welcome to leave them on.  But it seems that it's become a habit in our region to take shoes off at the door.  Every house I visit, there is a pile of shoes in the entry.

Shoe rules for kids-- mind the chicken poo. :p  Some areas of our property have been trashed in the past, and I want them to wear shoes when exploring (with all the trailing blackberries, I wouldn't go barefoot even!)  But all the lawns and roads are clean.  I also insist on wearing shoes when visiting urban beaches and wading, though in our area, all the *ocean* beaches are away from urban areas, and half of those you wouldn't want to walk on barefoot anyway with all the muscles and barnacles.

Mainly, I worry about glass (and also sharp metal on our property), but the comment upthread about the fungus in Mexico.... *shudder*..... 

My kids wear their shoes more than I do outdoors.  We've had to spread gravel so the rain won't turn our pathways into a mudpit, and those are growing over with grass.  I hope to be able to walk barefoot comfortably all around the yard and up and down the road next year.  I used to spend time each spring toughening up my feet, building up our "Hobbit Feet" is what I call it.  I tell the girls that it's nice to not feel so handicapped without shoes, but I know that dd1 especially is likely to want to wear hers more often out of personal preference.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

TBH I barely wear shoes outside when I can get away with it. If I'm in a coffee shop or something I normally take off my shoes. I do usually have "good" shoes too, that fit me well. Don't mind summer and sandals so much but proper shoes? Hate them.

I'm not extreme about it. If I have guests over I don't expect them to take off their shoes. Our downstairs is tiles and floorboards and concrete, so that is fine anyway. Our upstairs is carpet but its easy enough to clean. I'd rather people feel welcome and I can totally see why not everyone would want to take off their shoes! My floors aren't always super-clean.

I just hate wearing shoes. I've found that if you are just wearing socks, dark socks, people often don't notice, or at least are generally too polite to point it out if they do.

My daughters will tend to go barefoot, and live in crocs where they can. My son tends to find one pair of manky comfortable trainers and live in them.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM

I almost always wear shoes outside, except at the beach or for a quick walk to the mailbox. I never wear shoes inside my house or any house I can get away with it. I take my shoes off at work under the desk at times (only if my feet aren't stinky!) I prefer to be barefoot or just in socks when it is cold, but outside I do like shoes to protect my feet, but I prefer sandals unless I'm going to be running or be in tall grass/woods.

Right now the rules for my DD1 (DD2 & DS1 are too young for shoes) are shoes on when you are outside and at daycare, off inside and she can pick her shoes, but I have veto power. She also knows which shoes are ok for daycare (they don't allow open toe shoes). Occasionally she is allowed outside with no shoes, but she knows not to ask that it is only if me or Dad are ok with it.

We do have a shoe container next to the front door and everyone takes off shoes when they come in. DD1 also tends to take her socks off there too which is fine, but I'm trying to teach her to carry them to a laundry basket too with little success so far smile.gif If we had more room, I would have a shoe cubby too, the container is nice for wet shoes to dry, but I think we're going to need a cubby, especially once the twins start wearing shoes.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Tags
Parents
User Tag List