Do you wear shoes inside? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you wear shoes? Always or never or somewhere in between?

Do you have rules about shoes for your kids?

Do your kids ever play outside barefoot?

I just picked up shoes and sandals that had been dropped around my house. I guess the best thing about having a no-shoes rule if I had one is that the shoes would all be near the entry.
#2 of 47 Old 08-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We all take off shoes right inside the front door and store them all in a basket there. I will occasionally where shoes in the house if i run back in to grab something on my way out. DH is half Japanese, so this is partly a cultural thing in our family. We always wear shoes outside because we have dogs and don't clean up after them as often as we should. :)
cynthia mosher and msbusybee like this.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#3 of 47 Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Do you wear shoes? Always or never or somewhere in between?  We usually wear shoes outside but never in the house.  Even prior to having children, my husband and I never wore shoes in the house.

Do you have rules about shoes for your kids?  Yes, their shoes are kept on a rack in the garage next to the door.  They can also keep one pair in the laundry room - which is right inside the door.

Do your kids ever play outside barefoot?  Yes, and if their feet are dirty they wash them off or put on socks when they come into the house.  When they were little and in and out barefoot (and in and out of the sand box) I kept buckets of soapy water on the deck so they could wash their feet before coming in.

I just picked up shoes and sandals that had been dropped around my house. I guess the best thing about having a no-shoes rule if I had one is that the shoes would all be near the entry.

eta:  I do not ask guests to remove their shoes.  But most people we know take their shoes off at their houses so it is rare that someone keeps their shoes on.  My husband would like to ask guests to remove their shoes, but I think it is rude to ask...he thinks they are rude to wear their shoes inside.  Sometimes people ask if they need to take off their shoes...I some times hesitate to answer because I am surprised they ask but I say 'no' because I figure if they are asking, they do not want to take them off.  (Once a friend told me he hated taking his shoes off at people's houses because his feet always stink,,,I remember that and figure maybe they have stinky feet!)

#4 of 47 Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

We don't wear shoes in the house usually, sometimes if we forgot something we will run and grab it with our shoes on.  I grew up not wearing shoes inside and that is how my child grew up but there isn't really a spoken rule.  Growing up without having to wear shoes has made both me and dd happy to not have shoes on.

We keep shoes outside at my mom's house because she has a covered porch and we keep them inside by the door at our home because we don't.  There was no rule making about this though either, my mother was unhappy with shoe smells in the house wanted to try having the shoes outside and we always have just kept shoes in one area so nothing needed to be said when we moved to our own place.

We do go barefoot sometimes when we are outside.  I don't have a rule about this either but I do sometimes suggest shoes to my dd if it looks unsafe for bare feet and she typically heeds my suggestion.

I do sometimes have to pick up shoes and put them on the rack, but I typically have my dd come and put the shoes on the rack herself.  I saw a suggestion along these lines on a post a while back and I find that it typically only takes a couple of times doing this for her to get back in the habit of cleaning up after herself without a reminder.

cynthia mosher likes this.
#5 of 47 Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 AM

I think it is cultural. I was raised in Georgia, and we ALWAYS had shoes on in the house. In fact, my dad would shout at us if we didn't, claiming we were tracking mud around. Made no sense imo, seemed to me shoes tracked more mud. Anyway, I had one indian friend who had no shoes in the house, everyone else did. I moved to NYC where some did, some didn't. I now live in Denmark, and no one here wears shoes in the house; they are left at the door. Also in our house. 

I don't have rules about it. If someone comes over and leaves their shoes on I let them be. I also let my kids run around both inside and outside barefoot. My DD loves being barefoot outside. The only thing I do not like is sock on but no shoes outside, just ruins the socks too fast.

#6 of 47 Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 AM

I think it is cultural. I was raised in Georgia, and we ALWAYS had shoes on in the house. This is interesting... Growing up in the midwest, everyone seemed to wear shoes inside. When my parents come to visit, they leave their shoes on until they go to bed. Everyone else removes them at the door.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

#7 of 47 Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We don't have a hard and fast rule about it, but in general we wear shoes outside, and no shoes inside. We have a shoe basket near the door where we all kick our shoes off as we walk in, but if we're carrying stuff or something it's no big deal to us to walk through the house with our shoes on and then take them off.

I usually ask the kids to put on shoes when they go in the yard to play, but not always. Not during water play, and sometimes I go out barefoot to garden. And if we have people over for a barbecue and there'll be a lot of in-and-out, everyone just leaves their shoes on. I don't ask guests to do anything with their shoes one way or the other -- I just want them to be comfortable.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 47 Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

In the house, we don't wear shoes except if someone is on the way out or has been outside and needs a quick trip back inside for some reason eg. to grab a forgotten item or use the bathroom. Even in those circumstances, I usually take my shoes off and prefer if everyone else did too.

Do you have rules about shoes for your kids? I don't think of them as rules. It's our custom to remove our shoes at the door. It's a habit, lifestyle, whatever you want to call it.
I should mention that I've always believed that children, especially when learning to walk, should be barefoot as much as possible in order to strengthen the feet and ankles and develop balance and proprioception and important sensory feedback mechanisms and promote a healthy ambulatory kinetic chain. My kids didn't own hard-soled shoes until they were walking. I think we bought the first pair for preschool. That's aside from the fact that it's much more comfortable to be barefoot. 

Do your kids ever play outside barefoot? Yes. 

Having said all that, I have a fondness/weakness for pretty shoes, so I could never live a barefoot lifestyle.  

#9 of 47 Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM

After bringing baby home for the first time we considered the amount if "stuff" brought in on shoes and began taking them off at the door. When baby started crawling, we asked everyone to take their shoes off upon entering. My thought on it was, if you wouldn't lick the bottom of your shoe then you shouldn't wear it in a home with a mobile baby. She crawls on the floor and then sticks her hands in her mouth (not to mention whatever she finds in the floor that may have come off a shoe). Yuck! Outside dirt doesn't bother me as much as the chemicals that may have been picked up in a parking lot, a sprayed lawn, industrial building, a shopping center or the nasties that may be on shoes from a public bathroom.

That being said, we run around outside barefoot all the time and slip on socks when we come in or wash feet. I like the soapy water at the door idea!

For those of you who are no shoes in the house, how do you request guests remove their shoes when they come in? I still feel awkward asking. We have a basket of shoes at the door so i get really jazzed when i see people get the hint and take their shoes off without being asked.
#10 of 47 Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilymomma2 View Post

For those of you who are no shoes in the house, how do you request guests remove their shoes when they come in? I still feel awkward asking. We have a basket of shoes at the door so i get really jazzed when i see people get the hint and take their shoes off without being asked.

I don't ask. 99% take them off because it is customary.  The 1% who don't often have good reasons eg. they wear supportive orthopaedic shoes. But I don't have babies crawling on my floor. I also have a dog who tracks in mud and dust and sheds A LOT, so my floors aren't exactly dinner-plate clean to begin with.  

If you feel strongly but are uncomfortable asking, you could place a small sign at the door requesting shoes to be removed, near a basket of various-sized slippers for people to borrow if they prefer to have some kind of foot covering on even when they are inside.

#11 of 47 Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 AM

We don't wear shoes in the house. And if you want to come in my house, you have to remove yours. I have booties for workers, and when I lived in Japan I had slippers for people to wear, but I think americans would be weirded out by wearing communal slippers so I don't have them now.

I want to order some disposable slippers, like the thin kind you get in some hotels. I should get on that.

I let my kids go barefoot around the house outside sometimes, we don't have pets or use pesticides. But I usually make them wash their feet before coming in.

I have a shoe cabinet by the door, and a tray as well. I even converted the closet by the door into a seating area, so you can sit to remove or put your shoes on.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#12 of 47 Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Take them off or clean them if they're filthy, otherwise shoes inside, barefoot outside, doesn't matter to me. No shoes on the couches and beds. We've had a few guests ask if they should remove shoes, I say if you like you can but there's no rules.

#13 of 47 Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We generally don't. Here people just take them off for the most part. I think it's because of the winters snow, sludge, mess that is made. I am in Minnesota, so it may also be a culture thing. D.S. and I go barefoot frequently, especially when we are running late, lol. I don't ask people to take off their shoes or boots, most people just do. But like Ollyoxenfree we have dogs that shed so the floors are perfect anyway.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#14 of 47 Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

We never wear "outdoor" shoes inside. Shoes wore outdoors come off right inside the door. Inside we wear slippers or socks or go barefoot. Because the basement can be cold, we have one set of sturdier-than-slipper shoes at the top of the basement stairs that we wear only in the basement.

Quote:

Do your kids ever play outside barefoot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

Yes, and if their feet are dirty they wash them off or put on socks when they come into the house.  When they were little and in and out barefoot (and in and out of the sand box) I kept buckets of soapy water on the deck so they could wash their feet before coming in.

We do this as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilymomma2 View Post

We have a sign on the door saying that we're a shoe-free house and asking anyone who enters to please remove their shoes. Everyone who has come in during the last 10 years has taken off their shoes! Inside, we do have a basket with clean, fluffy socks in case people would like socks to wear (either because they weren't wearing socks or because they'd like an extra pair); in the winter, lots of guests appreciate this! After a guest leaves, we throw the socks in the laundry and then they are ready and waiting for another guest. 

We stillheart.gif love stillheart.gif being shoe-free inside and are thrilled that it seems that more and more houses of those we know are becoming shoe-free inside!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#15 of 47 Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM

I really like the sign ideas! Way to go Mamas! We have a pooch too that runs outside on occasion but we arent so much worried about 'dirt' as the other stuff that gets tracked around on shoes. We don't put chemicals on our lawn either. I do love the sign idea and the basket of fluffy socks!
#16 of 47 Old 08-17-2013, 04:15 PM

I really like the socks idea too. You know, I'm kind of a nut. I'd probably make my dog wear booties outside...
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#17 of 47 Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

You know, I'm kind of a nut. I'd probably make my dog wear booties outside...

Our dogs are trained to stand on a rug when they come back inside so we can wipe their feet.  My husband and I always wiped their feet prior to having children, but we have become lax since the kids were born.  

When one of our dogs became blind with old age, I wish I c/h put him in little rain boots...he would get caught in the landscaping and get really dirty feet. 

#18 of 47 Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No shoes inside. Shoes outside.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#19 of 47 Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

No shoes inside......after living in Costa we transformed. It's pretty rainy here in Oregon. We do have indoor shoes which sometimes DH walks outside and realizes he has the wrong shoes on *sigh*

#20 of 47 Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM

I would LOVE to have a shoe-free house, but DH won't agree to it. However, I don't think I would ever require my guests to remove their shoes. And while most of the time I don't think I'd have a problem respecting someone else's shoe-free home, I really feel it's a comfort thing. If I'm not comfortable for whatever reason, I don't want to feel like I'm breaking a rule, and I certainly wouldn't want my guests to feel uncomfortable in my home.

#21 of 47 Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
I would LOVE to have a shoe-free house, but DH won't agree to it. However, I don't think I would ever require my guests to remove their shoes. And while most of the time I don't think I'd have a problem respecting someone else's shoe-free home, I really feel it's a comfort thing. If I'm not comfortable for whatever reason, I don't want to feel like I'm breaking a rule, and I certainly wouldn't want my guests to feel uncomfortable in my home.

This pretty much. I don't like to wear shoes in my own space including outside. Going into someone else's house and being forced to take my shoes off makes me exceedingly uncomfortable.

In our home we have a shoe shelf right by the front door. The kids aren't consistent in wearing or not wearing shoes inside. Dh would prefer that they did. I don't really care too much as long as they aren't tracking mud through it.

#22 of 47 Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

we are a barefoot family. 

we dont wear shoes inside/or slippers or booties out of preference. on hot days, tile floors and hardwood floors feel so much nicer on bare feet. on carpet i prefer house slippers. dd always preferred barefoot still.

outdoors - wear shoes only when we have to. most of our lives we both prefer flip flops. and wear mostly flip flops even in rain and low temperatures. our feel sweat in shoes and still remain cold so what's the point of shoes. 

i wear shoes in the snow. when we go winter camping dd STILL wears flip flops to go outside teh tent, but wears hiking boots when we go further. 

my biggest concern when dd started school was how was she going to keep her shoes on. she did fine. but the first 5 years of her life she ONLY wore shoes when she absolutely had to. otherwise she was barefoot walking everywhere. 

ALSO we are a flip flop family. coz we have wide feet with narrow heels. and when you dont have a bunch of money and cant afford good shoes (those rare shoes that actually fits) flip flops will have to do. 

wonder if we are so wide with splayed toes because we both went so much barefoot when children. 

if we have slip ons we take them off whenever we are sitting down. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#23 of 47 Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM

No shoes inside, but usually slippers.

We have a shoe case and a shoe shelf at the entrance to our flat.

Rules about shoes? No putting shoes on an eating surface.

Going outside barefoot - going to the apartment's swimming pool - OK - but elsewhere, they have to wear shoes. We live in a big city and it's not very safe or hygienic to go around barefoot.

#24 of 47 Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

I kinda think of it as respecting house culture. If there is no smoking in the house then guests have to step outside to do it. If there are no shoes worn in the house then I would expect that too. I have never felt uncomfortable taking my shoes off. Also, if someone comes over and they did not know we have a no shoe policy, I have a basket of cool fuzzy socks and such and it makes it kinda fun anyway.

How are you by the way? How is your son doing with the potty training? I hope I am not hijacking this thread I just wanted to say hi.

#25 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 AM

Being shoe free inside is a lead exposure reduction strategy . . .
#26 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM

We have no consistent policy. I often slip in and out of shoes several times throughout the day. I don't really like being barefoot on wood/tile, but enjoy it on carpet, and we have a mixture in the house. I do take them off at the door if I'm coming in from the rain or something like that. DH is most often barefoot or in socks, but I don't think that's out of any real policy. He also strips off his pants the majority of time when he comes in and hangs out in boxers, so I think he's just a less-is-more comfort kinda guy.

I don't think I've actually ever been asked to remove my shoes in someone else's home, but the thought of it bothers me. My sister's house is generally shoe-free, but they never asked other people to take off theirs. I feel like you should be somewhat aware of the general house policy and try to follow it if you're comfortable with it, but if I've kept my shoes on, it's probably for a good reason (stinky feet, ingrown toenail, etc). I'd feel a little weird about borrowing socks, even if they were freely offered.

Mom to Ava - 10/8/13 love.gif 
#27 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM

What about hotel rooms? Shoes off or on? I tend to think that hotels aren't particularly clean, so I prefer to leave them on at hotels even though we don't wear shoes inside our house. I was recently admonished by a relative in Japan who pulled me back out of my own hotel room and insisted that I remove my shoes first. I know its a cultural thing in Japan, but I didn't realize it extended to hotels...

#28 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
In Canada (maybe because of winter) I think shoe free inside is just normal for everyone.
#29 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 AM

DH is Japanese. I'm Vietnamese. (Both of us were born and raised in CA.) We have a strict no-shoes policy in the house because we're both allergic to many things and cannot bring any of that into the house. On top of that, it's a housekeeping rule for us: less to clean up. The policy is only reminded to guests or DH's family (they're American-born Japanese) as they tend to wear shoes in their homes. We are not shy about telling our guests. Also, we're on the extreme side of practicing and even wipe our dog's feet after she comes back from going to the bathroom outside.

On the flip-side, we ask any homes we visit if they would like to have our shoes removed. We practice what the host(s) prefer. smile.gif

#30 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post

In Canada (maybe because of winter) I think shoe free inside is just normal for everyone.

I'm in a rather snowy climate as well and most homes here are shoes off.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06

Tags
Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page