Do you do the tooth fairy with your kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know there are families here at Mothering who don't do Santa Claus for various reasons. I'm wondering about the tooth fairy? We do it, but it is a pain to try to sneak the tooth out of under the pillow and the money in. How do you handle the tooth fairy if you do it? If you don't, why not, and do you do anything else special for lost teeth?
#2 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 AM

We did! I loooved the toothfairy! The toothfairy gave him a two dollar bill for teeth, although really most of them got lost long before the toothfairy could get to them.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Subscribing. I'm really trying to find a good blend of not lying / fibbing with the kids but allowing them some magic in their childhood. My childhood was pretty crappy with fighting, divorce among other really unpleasant stuff but I did have the magic of Christmas, etc and for me that was pretty important.

My kids luckily have a pretty pleasant childhood and in all honestly they create enough magic on their own but no ones lost a tooth yet and I'd like to see how others do this.

#4 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 PM

I started the whole thing by saying "I was told that if I put my tooth under my pillow the toothfairy would take it and leave money."

Then I started the idea that they should write a note to the toothfairy and tape it to the door outside, so she'd know to stop.

I've expanded on the universe without really meaning to.  I did have one write "what do you do with all the teeth you collect". The response on that note was "sorry, that's a trade secret."

I'm not opposed to a bit of magic in childhood.

mamazee and KistheMum like this.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#5 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM

I love the note idea! That is so cute!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#6 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

We capture the Tooth Fairy on video.  She looks an awful lot like Daddy.  Sometimes she looks like the cat, or a favorite toy.  The girls get a giggle guessing who the Tooth Fairy will be (or the Birthday Fairy, for that matter, who also leaves an extra allowance under the pillow) and they race to the camera in the morning to discover what happened.  They get a kick out of seeing themselves asleep, too.  It lets us have the fun of the Tooth Fairy without the sneakiness.  They get an extra allowance under their pillow.

Lost teeth get treated the same-- we've never lost one, I suppose they could leave a note for Daddy--I mean, ahem, the Tooth Fairy.  Pulled teeth are worth $10 (that is what we negotiated.  I offered $5, a tearful, needle-terrorized dd1 insisted on $10.  I would have given her $20, I hate teeth pulling so much!)

AEB902 and Catwmandu like this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#7 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks SweetSilver. I like that and my hubby would too. A LOT. A way to play and incorporate silliness into it.

#8 of 13 Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM

my children are now grown, but I always preceded our conversations about santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy, leprechauns, etc.  by mentioning that " it's fun to pretend"  that santa (or tooth fairy, etc.) will come.   my children knew all of it was pretend, but had no problem playing along and I've never felt that they were denied the excitement and anticipation in any way.   children are excellent at pretend and imaginary games, so this works well.

Oread likes this.
#9 of 13 Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 PM

We haven't lost a tooth yet but we've already discussed that the tooth fairy is like Santa (and God and the Easter Bunny) some people believe and some don't. When she is talking to a friend and getting caught up in the excitement I can tell she wants to believe. But at heart she's a realist (and scaredy cat) and if on December 25th she thought a stranger would come in after we are asleep that would just mean no sleep for anyone!
#10 of 13 Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 PM

My daughter heard about the Tooth Fairy from other people and she asked me if the fairy was real. I just asked her what she thought. She asked on several occasions and her responses varied from I think so, to it might be just for pretend, to yes! So I prepared to go along with it, got a couple of dollar bills stashed away for when the time came. When it did, she wouldn't give them to the fairy- not even with the promise of money. Then she ended up losing them herself. There is a new wiggly tooth preparing to move out- wonder what will happen this time?
#11 of 13 Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 AM

I tried, but I am terribly forgetful. Poor kids would be so disappointed. It became our family joke that we got assigned a flaky fairy who might take up to a week to show. Once they were older and knew it was a game, they would just come to me and show me their lost tooth and I would go to my wallet and then pretend to flap little wings and hand them money. Its become our family joke.:rotflmao

However, I will probably try to do it right with our younger brood (I have a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old, and one OTW) because my kids get a kick out of the imaginative games and traditions of childhood and I thinks its fairly harmless and a fun end to sometimes painful process. And just for fun, I am adding this smilie to my post because it always reminded me of the tooth fairy anyway! 

dust.gif

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#12 of 13 Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 AM

I'm not to that point yet, but I plan on just telling my daughter it is pretend, like Santa and so forth. My parents told me that stuff wasn't real, but they still did the tooth fairy thing even though I knew it was them and that didn't take any fun out of it. Like one of the pp's said, kids are great at playing pretend and suspending disbelief. So I'd rather not lie, and don't think it's necessary for childhood "magic"

Catwmandu likes this.
#13 of 13 Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM

The tooth went into a small glass of water beside the bed for the tooth fairy to find.  We found "special" little glasses, such as juice glasses or shot glasses.  Easy to find during the night; dry out the glass and put in the money!  Imagination is a wonderful thing and I see no harm in encouraging them to use their imagination!'

I'm a grandma now, and back when we were kids we usually got a dime...a quarter was a jackpot!  My children usually found a half-dollar or so...I'm amazed to see a tooth go for so much now!

mamazee likes this.

Tags
Child , Parents , Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page