Do you let your child go UP the slide?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have this conversation every so often here at Mothering, and it's always interesting to hear everyone else's perspective. We have some new moms here and I'd love to hear their input on this.

My rule is generally yes UNLESS:

• It's really busy
  • There are comparatively little kids playing on the slides who could get hurt
  • You can't see the top of the slide from the bottom

Otherwise, I'm fine with them using the slide in creative ways. In fact, I like to see them be creative and think outside the box at the playground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Same here. I also try and be considerate if it's extra muddy. I don't want their mud messing up some other kids clothing.

I'm all for them building whatever skills they need to build. I do think I started out as a "slides are meant for going down" reaction - then thought to myself why.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM

My kids are allowed to go up slides as long as:

*The slide is empty.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

As long as there aren't kids wanting to go down it, I am fine with that.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Yes, with all the same conditions PPs have mentioned. I also started out thinking it was against playground etiquette, but gross motor skills don't tend to be my son's strongest point, but he's drawn to going up slides, and it works muscle groups he doesn't explore much otherwise.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Yes, with similar conditions mentioned upthread. I don't want to monitor too closely what and how they play, so the whole "down only on slides" thing is over the top to me.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM

Yeah, I'm totally with the PPs on this as well.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Yes, as long as no-one is trying to come down.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I usually say no when we are at public playgrounds if there are other kids there.  I have 2 little ones to follow around, so I have a hard time just telling dds not to go up if someone is trying to use it, since I will often not be right there to make sure they remember to check to make sure it is actually open and that no-one is wanting to use it.  We do have a playset at our house with a twisty slide, so the kids are welcome to go up that all they want, but I really don't let them go up at public parks when other kids are there.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I usually say no to be consistent. *eek* am I a tough cookie or what...lol

Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Yup, as long as there's no one trying to come down.  Down-sliders get the right of way, hehe.  My almost 11 month old spent at least 20 minutes gleefully trying to climb the short slide at the park the other day (we were the only ones there).  He'd get his hands up to the top, and think he was home free and put his (slippery) knees down, only to slip back down on his belly giggling.  So cute!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM

It really depends. If the park is crowded i generally say no. If there are lots of little ones around, i discourage it only so the littles don't follow their lead and possibly get hurt. If going up the slide is something that can safely be done (not lots of kids wanting to come down, etc) then sure why not. 

On the other hand i do not allow climbing on the outside of the play structures (like climbing up the OUTSIDE of a tube slides.) 

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 AM

The times I've been at playgrounds recently, there have been parents ineffectually trying to keep their kids from going up the slide. I don't think it's a good idea when there are other kids there, but realistically they're going to try to do it anyway. If everyone there is around the same size (in these recent experiences everyone was in the 2-5 age range) I don't think anybody will probably get much hurt, and if someone gets bonked that functions as a lesson in "Don't climb the slide if someone is trying to go down"... which I do tell her but she doesn't necessarily always listen. IDK, I don't like stalking her every move at the playground. 

Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

The times I've been at playgrounds recently, there have been parents ineffectually trying to keep their kids from going up the slide. I don't think it's a good idea when there are other kids there, but realistically they're going to try to do it anyway. If everyone there is around the same size (in these recent experiences everyone was in the 2-5 age range) I don't think anybody will probably get much hurt, and if someone gets bonked that functions as a lesson in "Don't climb the slide if someone is trying to go down"... which I do tell her but she doesn't necessarily always listen. IDK, I don't like stalking her every move at the playground. 

I'm a pretty permissive parent...but if my kids dont listen to me at the playground we leave.  I can see this being more difficult with a young toddler who might not really get "please dont go up the slide" but then a child of that age is probably mostly hovering around the bottom of the slide rather than actually going all the way up anyway, but if a child is that young you're probably going to "stalk her every move" anyway (or at least follow her around/stay close by)...id think? The kids that seem to want to go UP the slide around here seem to be more in the 5+ range. 

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

It really depends. If the park is crowded i generally say no. If there are lots of little ones around, i discourage it only so the littles don't follow their lead and possibly get hurt. If going up the slide is something that can safely be done (not lots of kids wanting to come down, etc) then sure why not. 

On the other hand i do not allow climbing on the outside of the play structures (like climbing up the OUTSIDE of a tube slides.) 

With my kids, and the Pre-K kids I've taught, climbing up the slide is perfectly acceptable if there's no one waiting. They aren't allowed to climb inside tube or up curved slides because they can't see if someone's coming. But, climbing up the outside of a tube slide is fine with me (with my own kids, not in a school situation.)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

right of way to kids going down, thats it.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
It was fine with me till ds broke his wrist doing it. Now going up the slide is a really really big no no for our family!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 09-06-2013, 03:40 PM

yes... BUT if the park is busy then no. if we are at the park alone or with just our friends (we homeschool so there are time when it is just our group of friends at a park all day long) and that is the game (so everyone knows what is going on) than yes.

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM

No, not even at home. I have 4 kids so there is always someone waiting to go down, and at parks even more so. Also because I have 4 of different sizes. My 115 lb 11 year old could do serious damage to a toddler and never mean to.

When others do go up at public parks I just explain to my kids if they ask that other families have different rules. inevitably, someone else gets hurt on the slide whiile we are at the park. We're homeschoolers who spend two days a week at rotating parks all over the area.

I do let my kids play creatively with equipment, including climbing on the outside so long as their climbing does not endanger others. They spend a lot of their park time climbing trees, as well, which is fine with me so long as no little ones are under the tree. We have tons of fun!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 PM

My son started going up the slide at ten months. He would climb up ropes and ladders and everyone would freak out! It was crazy. I had to give up trying to shadow him and just trust he wouldn't attempt anything unless he was confident he could do it. He's proven himself to be very agile!!

I will tell him to get out of the way if other kids are trying to go down the slide. They have the right of way as PPs have said LOL.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

I'm a pretty permissive parent...but if my kids dont listen to me at the playground we leave.  I can see this being more difficult with a young toddler who might not really get "please dont go up the slide" but then a child of that age is probably mostly hovering around the bottom of the slide rather than actually going all the way up anyway, but if a child is that young you're probably going to "stalk her every move" anyway (or at least follow her around/stay close by)...id think? The kids that seem to want to go UP the slide around here seem to be more in the 5+ range. 

I was at the play area at the mall recently. Almost everyone there was in the 2-5 age range. Nobody was older. Every single kid was trying to go up the slide. It was a real big thing. I remind my daughter to watch for kids going down the slide, but typically in that space I do not need to watch her like a hawk because she is cautious, doesn't do anything that could get her hurt, there aren't kids who are way bigger than her, and she can't get out of the play area without me seeing. The other place we have this discussion is in the church nursery where it is 4 and under only. There we just remind them to watch for kids going down the slide. The slide there is one of those tiny indoor ones. 

If there had been bigger kids going down the slide, and there hadn't been 5 other toddlers trying to go up it, my daughter probably wouldn't have even been interested. I would keep more of an eye on her if those situations arose. 

Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 AM

Absolutely, but only on the straight, open slides when no one is trying to come down. We haven't had any issues at all and for 2.5 year old DD it's good, unusual exercise.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Definitely! Being able to play creatively on the equipment is probably the main reason my oldest, who is now 13, was still playing pretty actively on playgrounds until she was about 11. Now she spends more time walking the dog around the track or climbing trees (she did that before, too).

I think it can be pretty darned challenging for low income parents to find interesting ways for their older kids to stay engaged with the outdoors as they outgrow the "standard" uses for the equipment on many playgrounds. In our case, we started relaxing our hyper-vigilance a couple of years ago and gradually felt more and more okay about letting dd1 roam the neighborhood on her own or with our big lab.

Some parents never reach a point of feeling okay with letting their kids strike off on their own like that -- and if the older kids are just expected to sit on the sidelines once activities like climbing the ladder and sliding down the slide are no longer thrilling for them, or sit in front of a screen at home, how healthy is that?

In all my years at playgrounds, I can't recall any cases of a child being hurt because he was sliding down when someone else started climbing up. It actually seems more likely that a toddler could get hurt while climbing up if an older child suddenly came sliding down, while the risk to the child sliding down seems relatively low. And yet my own girls climbed up all the time as toddlers without ever being hurt by anyone sliding down. Kids really are pretty smart about managing those kinds of interactions.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post

Definitely! Being able to play creatively on the equipment is probably the main reason my oldest, who is now 13, was still playing pretty actively on playgrounds until she was about 11. Now she spends more time walking the dog around the track or climbing trees (she did that before, too).

I think it can be pretty darned challenging for low income parents to find interesting ways for their older kids to stay engaged with the outdoors as they outgrow the "standard" uses for the equipment on many playgrounds. In our case, we started relaxing our hyper-vigilance a couple of years ago and gradually felt more and more okay about letting dd1 roam the neighborhood on her own or with our big lab.

Some parents never reach a point of feeling okay with letting their kids strike off on their own like that -- and if the older kids are just expected to sit on the sidelines once activities like climbing the ladder and sliding down the slide are no longer thrilling for them, or sit in front of a screen at home, how healthy is that?

In all my years at playgrounds, I can't recall any cases of a child being hurt because he was sliding down when someone else started climbing up. It actually seems more likely that a toddler could get hurt while climbing up if an older child suddenly came sliding down, while the risk to the child sliding down seems relatively low. And yet my own girls climbed up all the time as toddlers without ever being hurt by anyone sliding down. Kids really are pretty smart about managing those kinds of interactions.

Hm. Well i am both low income and have older kids.

I dont think "climbing up the slide" is the worst thing in the world so i hate to beat the point home...but to me its more about respect for the group rather than risk of injury (the risk of injury would be to the one climbing up most likely, not the one going down)...its like if everyone is running around a track in one direction, sure i suppose its your "right" to run the opposite way even if that means people have to look out for you, dodge you, worry about running into you etc. But its a little rude. If the park is not crowded or all the children agree they are playing the "climb up the slide" game, fine cool whatever. But i'm picturing one park we frequent where there is often lots of kids of various ages. When its busy....if my daughter (who is 11) is climbing UP one of the slides, and someone climbs up to the top from the ladder....what does my daughter do when she gets to the top and now there is a kid and maybe a line of kids behind her waiting to go down? Push past them to go down the ladder? Turn around and slide down? Does the kid at the top wait til my daughter climbs up to the top or should my daughter jump down if she's halfway up? What if its a little one (toddler age) who is hanging out on the slide trying to climb up (but sliding down)...should this be ok or should the parent remove him? Again, if no one is actually using the slide then its not a big deal at all, have at it. 

Sure...kids have a way of working this stuff out and none of it is serious business. I dont hover over my kids shouting at them "no climbing up!" or anything like that. However i do notice that not every kid seems as aware of "playground etiquette" as some others. I sometimes encourage my kids to NOT engage in an activity simply to be a good role model to the other kids (so it might be ok for my 11yr old to do something but if that means a gaggle of younger kids will follow her lead i might discourage her from doing that) 

I didnt allow my oldest to climb on the outside of tube slides and yet somehow it didnt manage to stunt his desire to explore the city on his own, or go off to college at 16 far from home or spend the summer living in an apt on his own with a couple of friends. :wink

Another park we sometimes visit actually has a "slide" that has three sections, two of which are textured and seem to be designed for climbing UP in addition to sliding down (bump bump bump) which is a cool idea. 

Old 09-07-2013, 02:37 PM

I fine with children going up the slide, as long as they are being considerate of others on top and below. We teach our kids to always shout warnings "lookout below, I'm coming down " and check for little ones at the bottom. The one big exception for me would be the stand-alone slides from the olden days of my youth. Since there's no platform to hold multiple kids safely, and it's high enough to hurt if one fell, those need to be used by only one person at a time. Big kids go only on big kid slides if little ones are actively using the little slides. We always remind our kids to look out for our friends and playmates so we can all have fun and be safe.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM

Yes, as long as no one is coming down.  His Physical Therapist encourages this as a way to build foot and leg muscle strength.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

Old 09-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha View Post

No, not even at home. I have 4 kids so there is always someone waiting to go down, and at parks even more so. Also because I have 4 of different sizes. My 115 lb 11 year old could do serious damage to a toddler and never mean to.

When others do go up at public parks I just explain to my kids if they ask that other families have different rules. inevitably, someone else gets hurt on the slide whiile we are at the park. We're homeschoolers who spend two days a week at rotating parks all over the area.

I do let my kids play creatively with equipment, including climbing on the outside so long as their climbing does not endanger others. They spend a lot of their park time climbing trees, as well, which is fine with me so long as no little ones are under the tree. We have tons of fun!

I think we are the only "no's" lol

I think I also have the elementary teacher thought. Someone always ended up hurt  or someone didn't see someone climbing up or going down so I always just simply say no for my son.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:12 PM

I work at a preschool. I only let children go up the slide if there are no other children nearby. If other children are waiting to go down, I make the "upper bound kid" go the correct way.

I have seen some bruises on children who were run into forcefully because a down sliding child collided with them.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:50 PM

Yes, you can go up the slide.  The playground is to be played on. I believe that slides, like stairs, go both up and down.  There is no "right way" to use it.  The same way you have to be considerate of others when you are doing anything you should be considerate when using the slide.  Is there possible danger?  Yes.  There is danger when kids walk past swings but I don't say "you can't swing because someone could walk in front of you and you could kick them"  I find the less I regulate the easier it is for kids to work it on their own.  They make room for smaller kids to slide down, they help little kids walk up, they wait until there is space for them and then they run pell mell up the slide and swing over the bar and slide down.  And this is in a large city park that is often crowded and full of multiaged children

Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 PM

If there are no other kids playing on it and his feet won't make a wet, dirty mess, yes.  Out of consideration for others, if there are other kids playing on it or if it's wet or snowy, I don't let him go up it - if you trail dirt and wet up the slide, then anyone sliding down gets unnecessarily wet.  I don't worry too much about stifling his creative play.  There are plenty of other things to play with/on. 

Tags
Parenting , Parents , Child , Toddler , Toddlers
User Tag List