I was reading a great article on a blog last night about how none of us are perfect some moms do the carpool thing in pajamas and some look perfect so... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Moms of young ones with ironed clothes, makeup and perfect hair - how do you do it? It was one of these things that I was thinking about while reading. I don't go in pajama pants to carpool but I am not "done" I see moms who are, it made me wonder, how do you do it?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think they wake up an hour or two earlier than their little ones. A few friends of mine are like this. They get up, workout, shower and make breakfast. I am in awe. My kids have yet to learn how to sleep through me getting out of bed.
ian'smommaya and abiyhayil like this.
#3 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

In the movies they just wake up all ready..lol Just kidding but now that my little guy is two we brush our teeth together and while he is washing his face and playing a bit in the water, I am able to do those little things to be done.

#4 of 10 Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I rarely iron my clothes, once in a while, I usually choose fabrics that don't require ironing. I prefer to look "put together", it makes me feel more comfortable then then yoga pants and a ponytail. Nothing wrong with that look, it just isn't me. I have kids that range from 10 years down to barely 2. I wake up at 6am during the school year so that I can take 20 minutes to get ready. Shower and some makeup. I don't blow dry my hair but keep it long and straight so I can just wash and go but it still looks ok. I lay out my clothes the night before when I lay out all the kid clothes. I prefer dresses, skirts to jeans but that is just my preference. In the summer it is flipflops, in the winter I change to boots that are comfy to wear all day and still run after kids. Target and thrift stores are favorites of mine for easy, cheap pieces that I don't care if they get destroyed my small, grubby hands. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 10 Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 AM

Hats off to you ladies. I'm the roll out of bed,hope to brush my teeth while the two year old is hanging off me, hoping baby will sleep in a few more minutes type. If I get a shower in the morning, then that's a great day where I'm ahead of the game. I concentrate on being clean; not being put together. I imagine that will come later wink1.gif
#6 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 AM

I think it is priorities. Some moms like to look good, it makes them feel good. They might get up an hour earlier because they are A type people or because they want time to themselves or they want to look good.... I'm in the hippy I am dressed and my hair is brushed but that is absolutely it group. I'd rather sleep in than just about anything. My priorities are a good nights sleep, followed by relaxed morning routine with my kids. 

People also spend money on totally different things, and that is also good. I have friends that spend what I think is insane on make up, skin care and hair care products. I use no skin care (water and sometimes soap is it), generic shampoo, and my makeup is freebies I got from friends, which is more than enough since I wear lipstick, blush, and nothing else, max once a week. However, the same friends think what I spend on food is insane. I am always going to the ethnic shops and buying all sorts of strange things, making fancy 3 and 4 course meals.... To each their own. The world would be so very boring if we all acted the same. 

grumpybear likes this.
#7 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Its not important to me. I will only be that way if i am getting paid or its a special occasion. Its really a matter of  priorities. My children, not my appearance, is my priority.

#8 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 AM

In fairness to the put together moms that I know, their children are also their priority.

But maybe unlike me, where I like to stay up and sleep into that extra half hour to hour in the morning, they get up earlier so they can have their time of solace.

#9 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Both my older sisters growing up were motivated to get up early to shower and curl their hair and apply makeup.  Then my middle sister started setting her alarm clock earlier and earlier to beat the eldest to the bathroom.  Eventually S1 gave up when S2 set her alarm for 4:30 in the morning so she could be ready for the bus at 7:05.  Not being old enough (or of the temperament) to be particularly motivated by appearance, I waited until everyone was done (though I didn't sleep much!  As soon as my mother was up at 5:30, S2 started blasting Led Zeppelin, Loverboy, Scorpions, Black Sabbath.....)   Being forced to wait, I learned that 1) I could get ready in a very short amount of time and 2) I really didn't care that much and 3) that I really, really love Black Dog best of all Led Zeppelin songs :p.  Then my hair started doing weird things at puberty and I was faced with the choice of spending an hour everyday working at it, or.... not really caring.  Well, I cared, but not that much!

Fast forward a few decades and not a lot has changed.  My middle sister is a powerhouse of sheer will still to this day.  She cares mightily about her appearance and her kids'.  She loves her sleep, but it is less of a priority than these other things.  She also finds little chunks of time for stuff when normal people will be taking a breath.  Eldest is somewhere in between, managing amazing feats with 4 kids, but still with less emphasis on appearance.  "Done Up" means make up and curled hair.  Clothes are just comfortable and no more.  Having kids has helped me budget my time better, but I am still that same person prioritizing my time-- and finding that some things just don't show up on my radar at all!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#10 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

In fairness to the put together moms that I know, their children are also their priority.

But maybe unlike me, where I like to stay up and sleep into that extra half hour to hour in the morning, they get up earlier so they can have their time of solace.

I get up earlier than them.  (most likely)  As i said, its not my priority.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page