Hotwheels/Matchbox cars in the tub - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-12-2013, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there any reason why a kid shouldn't take these little metal cars into the bathtub?

My 2.5 year old DD has a particular one she loves to take into the bathtub. My husband doesn't want her to because he says 1) they are not bath toys and 2) they aren't made like they use be. (?)

I guess his second point is in response to me saying "But my little brother used to take his in all the time..."

It seems like such a weird thing to fight about, but it really bugs me. And it is DD's favorite toy to take to the bath.

#2 of 7 Old 09-12-2013, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Generally, if taking a toy in the bath doesn't present a danger, I'm okay with it.
#3 of 7 Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
DS has taken cars into the tub for years. They do scratch, though.
#4 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Is your husband very specific as to how things should be used in general, or is this one thing in particular?  It may be that he was not allowed to take toys like these into the tub when he was a kid?  My boys use lots of toys in the bathtub and whether something is a bath toy depends on whether it's too big to go down the drain and it can't be electronic, rather than what the packaging says.  I'm not sure what your dh means by "they're not made like they used to be" - my boys inherited lots of cars from my dh from when he was a kid and they have lots of pieces that come off that I wouldn't allow in the bathtub...I think if a car is newer and not coming apart, it should be ok.  And I've never had one scratch the tub, so that must depend on the tub material.  

#5 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've found Hotwheels to hold up far better than toys made for the bath. The rubber toys get all moldy and gross in a month but cars don't even seem to rust, even the cheapo grocery store ones.
#6 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM

I can confirm that neither contain iron. wink1.gif
#7 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 AM

No reason I can think of, except for possible damage to the toy itself, or the possibility of the small bits and pieces coming off and blocking the drain.

But, they don't float well, and they are not very good for pouring, so they are not the first toys I would think to put into the tub w/ my kids. 

Tags
Parents , Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page