What is great about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

A post in another forum about it sometimes feels like friends, co-workers, and acquaintances are quick to share and discuss their horror stories or negative thing about children/pregnancy/birth inspired me to start this thread. What is wonderful, for you, about having children? From pregnancy to birth to parenting, I want to hear what some of your favorites are.

One of my most favorite things about having a child is exploring the world through my DD's perspective. When she was first born, I read that babies can't see very far so I had this new perspective about what it would be like if I couldn't see far and because of that I started babywearing! Now that my DD is older, I love discussing things with her. Yesterday she asked me "Why are some things heavier than others? Like the book is heavier than the tissue box?" It's so cool!

lauren and tracyamber like this.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#2 of 10 Old 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

One of my favorite things is the way they teach me about myself, as long as I remain open. I can see my challenges through their eyes in a way that I can't with my partner. So it teaches me to be more patient, compassionate, loving and tolerant (at least on my good days) because of my awareness of modeling and teaching.

I loved the early years, when everything was full of wonder. The nursing relationship made everything o.k., at least for a little while. The childhood and even early teen years, now seem very sweet to me, since at least two of my children are on the other side of that; much more independent and self sufficient. I miss when we were 'buddies' and they appreciated their parents more fully. It's very different now. I still have one in that stage and I am very grateful for it.

I wouldn't trade any of it! No horror stories here!!

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#3 of 10 Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I didn't enjoy pregnancy or birth at all but parenting is a wonderful journey that has made me a calmer and typically more thoughtful person. I love seeing my DD grow as a uniquely wonderful person and being a part of her exploration of life. Parenting has also helped me understand my mom better as I struggle with similar issues and the lack of easy solutions, this has brought us closer together. The ability to love unconditionally is the best thing about being a parent IMO.
#4 of 10 Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Children are gifts from God. Mine have forced me to rearrange my priorities, be less selfish, and be a better example. I love their innocence.

Pregnancy definitely helped me feel closer to God, sharing in His work of creation. It was my biggest reason ever to eat healthy, and was what encouraged me to start eating organic food, stop using the microwave and nonstick cookware, and even start using a crock pot. After my first pregnancy and birth I was no longer scared of birth, or at least not nearly as much as with my first.

Childbirth was scary, but with a good doctor for my third and fourth pregnancies and births, and the support of my husband, it was something I looked forward to. And even if only for one day (per child), I had a reason to think I was strong!

As for parenting, it's definitely the most difficult job I've ever had, and that helps me pray every day and realize my own inadequacy. Even when my children pester me, they make me realize the power of persistence.

Thanks for asking. It was good to think about all this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#5 of 10 Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Well, the great thing about pregnancy was being excited about the baby. I spent a lot of time laughing at the baby turning over inside. The great thing about childbirth was that at the end, I had a baby! 

The great thing about parenting is I do it with my son. Sometimes he makes me laugh with just plain delight, and sometimes from his jokes, and sometimes from his sweet way of talking. He's really smart and he presents another view of the world. We can share some interests and jokes, and we understand each other, but he's a separate person with his own mind and way of doing things. My only regret is that he's an only child. I wish I could love a lot of people in the way I love him. 

I think the two things that make parenting hard are our fears about the future, and having to drive the children in a car. I still sometimes have fears about the future, but we're driving a lot less. We walk places or go on the bike or on public transportation, and it's a great opportunity to be together. 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#6 of 10 Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Bringing a baby into the world is participating in a miracle. Parenting the  child is watching the miracle grow, the growth of a person, and the growth of love in a family. Whats not to like?

#7 of 10 Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel more deeply connected to life in a way that's hard to explain. Parenting has made me slow down and appreciate each moment, and ignore things that just don't matter that I used to think were important. I'm much more spiritual now, as a result and apt to consider the long term effects of all my choices. Aside from all the personal growth, kids are just amazing...
#8 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Being a parent has made me aware of how weak and full of anger and helplessness I can be; I never knew I had such a capacity for rage (the joy, I was not surprised by); it has made me humble;  and giving these "hostages to fortune" has made more aware how contingent and precarious life is. These were gifts I was not expecting when we decided to become parents.

#9 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

Being a parent has made me aware of how weak and full of anger and helplessness I can be; I never knew I had such a capacity for rage (the joy, I was not surprised by); it has made me humble;  and giving these "hostages to fortune" has made more aware how contingent and precarious life is. These were gifts I was not expecting when we decided to become parents.

Thank you. You've expressed very well what I've experienced.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#10 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Being a parent has been a humbling and wonderful experience for me too. It's amazing to see how much control you have over a tiny person who's totally dependent on you for all his / her needs, and at the same time how powerless you are in "making" them do anything they don't want (like eating a bite of food, or sleeping just for 10 more minutes)

Catholic Mama likes this.

Ds 9 and dd 5

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page