Older child stuttering - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have noticed in the last couple months, my oldest son, who is almost 9, repeats words a lot when he talks & says "um" a lot. When is this something that needs help? His sister has noticed & commented & I don't want it to become an issue in school...

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 3 Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think speech therapy is easy to get in schools at this age so you might ask about an evaluation for this. I think it can be a problem in adulthood depending on your career and if your stutter prevents a word from forming it does put some people off which is hard. I am currently blessed with a wonderful supervisor who doesn't mind my stutter and this and relaxation techniques have helped a lot.
#3 of 3 Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read an article today that brought it to mind. The more I watch him, the more I notice it is only when he is excited, good or bad. (think rushing to report sibling issues before the other one tells) and sometimes repeats while thinking & trying to get every detail of new info correct, like talking about something new he learned in school. That makes me think maybe it its a normal developmental blip or stress with new school & move? Hate to make a big deal of it if that's it. but hate to ignore a real issue until it is a big embarrassing problem for him...

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page