Calling parents by their first name - what do you think? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter usually calls me by my first name but if she's hurt/sad/ any negative feeling it's "MOM". I think this is because we hung out with so much of our extended family when she was younger and they of course didn't call me mom, but she's connected that nurturing feeling with "mom", so if she is just talking to me it's my name but if she is needing extra security or comfort it's "mom". I don't mind, but my husband doesn't like being called by his first name so much. :)

mamazee likes this.
#62 of 69 Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM

I dd, age 8, calls me Mom or Mommy. When first adopted she called me Ms. Heather and she called dh "that man" or "mr. first name". Now she calls him Dad or Daddy. She wanted to call my mom Cindy (that is not even close to her name). But now she calls her Gogo, which is Zulu for grandmother and she calls my dad GrandPop. She calls DH's mom Nene. My little dd, age 2, calls me Mama and calls dh Baba.

mamazee likes this.
#63 of 69 Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 AM

I wouldn't call my parents by their first name. Even when I introduce them to someone, I have a hard time saying their names out loud! It just is weird to me! 

Rowdie likes this.
#64 of 69 Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM

I don't call my folks by their first names. Mom and Dad have been pretty much it. They do the same for their parents. My LO will probably refer to us as mom/my and dad/dy or some variant once she gets old enough to speak.

I'm not crazy about "Mrs." for me. I prefer my first name--or Ms. if a title is really needed. I'm not keen on the emphasis of marital status for women ("Miss"/"Mrs." while men get a universal "Mr."). I got married in my thirties and "Miss" never sounded right for someone into her third decade.

#65 of 69 Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I've always told my children that I worked hard for the title of "mama" and they best call me by my fancy title! 

ditto

#66 of 69 Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DH and I usually use mommy/daddy to refer to each other in the third person (I have to tell my 2yo DAILY "Daddy is at work right now, sweetheart."), but we use the regular first person (I don't ask my children to "Give that to mommy", I say "give that to me"), and when we adults address each other in the children's presence, we use the regular second person stuff-- you, or first names. 

So my nearly-4yo calls DH by his first name, but both he and the nearly-3yo mostly call me "mommy", and that's just the way it is right now.  No big deal.

I don't believe in teaching children that adults are inherently worthy of more respect just because they're adults, and I worry that the Mr./Ms. thing communicates that.   We use the big five due to ease of pronunciation (mommy, daddy, grampa, gramma, baby), but otherwise use first names for everyone, from their uncles, to their friends, from their friends' parents, to their siblings.

#67 of 69 Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My children call us Mom and Dad, and when they try and use our first names we nip it in the bud; we feel it's a sign of respect. Same with grandparents. It's Grandma First Name and Grandpa First name. When I am referring to them when the children are around, that is the name I use.

When addressing neighbours or other adults when first introduced or when I am referring to them I call them Mr./Ms. last name unless told otherwise. Most of our neighbours are the same way unless we are close to them, a lot of kids in the neighbourhood call me Ms. and I like it also, it's a sign of respect. When I was growing up, you did not call adults by their given names, you called them Mr./Ms. which is what I am teaching my children.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#68 of 69 Old 09-28-2013, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdie View Post

I don't call my folks by their first names. Mom and Dad have been pretty much it. They do the same for their parents. My LO will probably refer to us as mom/my and dad/dy or some variant once she gets old enough to speak.

I'm not crazy about "Mrs." for me. I prefer my first name--or Ms. if a title is really needed. I'm not keen on the emphasis of marital status for women ("Miss"/"Mrs." while men get a universal "Mr."). I got married in my thirties and "Miss" never sounded right for someone into her third decade.
Yeah. I'm not married. Not a teenager either. Most kids don't know Ms. though. Lots of adults don't either.
#69 of 69 Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 AM

My son, at 3.5, feels it's important to not only know titles, but also names. Though for the most part dh and I are still mama and daddy ds knows, and occasionally uses, 'baffne' or 'timfee.' pat grandparents are grandma, grandpa, or japanese honorifics, interchangeably. we don't do 'miss' or 'mister' anyone; any male beyond his age class is 'uncle' and female 'auntie,' with or without first name, including daycare providers. this went for pretty much everyone aside from an old coworker I had who decided he was also an honorary grandpa or ojiisan because my father passed before ds was born.

Backroads likes this.

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif

Tags
Parents , Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page