When your child is too quiet - what's the biggest mess you've found? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids are pretty good but when I can't hear them, I worry. I've found some messes, including a completely unrolled roll of wax paper, a whole roll of toilet paper in a toilet. I caught her before she completely unrolled a roll of aluminum foil. Unrolling stuff was a theme with one of mine.

What have you discovered when you've gone to find out why they're so quiet?
#2 of 44 Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

DS got the screen door to the porch halfway off its hinges when he was one and a half. 

#3 of 44 Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Just a few weeks ago, DS (1) pulled a mostly-full package of tortillas off the table and shredded it to bits. Not bad for such a small fry! And that was after he pulled a paper towel roll off the desk, unrolled several squares, and shredded them only about 15 minutes earlier. (And I was catnapping on the couch RIGHT NEXT TO HIM during this! It all happened literally within 6 feet of my head!)

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#4 of 44 Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My now-3yo put DHs hair fudge all over the cat when she was about 20mo. I can't remember what I was doing but she wasn't out of sight for very long.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 44 Old 09-19-2013, 07:11 PM

We are priming and repainting the house right now.  My 5 year old managed to sneak upstairs and by the time I noticed, he had managed to prime half the floor in one room, and leave footprints across the rest of the upstairs floor. 

I should have known better than to go to the bathroom.

mamazee likes this.
#6 of 44 Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The dish soap slip n' slide on the hardwood floor and the 10lb bag of flour that they used to turn their room into a snow globe come to mind.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#7 of 44 Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my oldest two first came to live with us, they got up early one morning and decided to make pancakes all on their own. They were 2 and 3, and the entire kitchen (and both of them) were completely covered in wet pancake mix! Luckily they did not know how to turn on the stove!

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#8 of 44 Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My sons, about 3 and 5 at the time, broke the blinds in their room in our rented house and eventually took it off the window. It is now in pieces in their closet until either we move out or we face the landlord and ask him what he wants us to do about it. (He was already hesitant to rent to a family with children last year, so thankfully he's been very good to us.)

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#9 of 44 Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Mine is a singleton and pretty mellow, so nothing really bad. Once when he was 3, he found a box of my tampons and popped them all out of their wrappers and applicators. It was hard to keep a straight face. 

When he was around 4, he used to also go into the bathroom and putter around in there. When I'd ask, "What are you doing?" he'd say, "I'm not making a potion, that's for sure." 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#10 of 44 Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thank you for making me laugh, captain optimism!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#11 of 44 Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Hair cuts... "She couldn't hear with all that hair over her ears."

#12 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 07:05 AM

Haircut, here, too. When my DDs were about 4 & 2, I took a break from making thanksgiving dinner and walked in to a suspiciously quiet room in time to see DD1 frantically stuffing play scissors and handfuls of hair under a pillow... then I looked at DD2. She looked like a child who'd grown up in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust, living with rats. Hair cut all around her head, in some places almost to the scalp. It was dramatic.
mamazee likes this.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#13 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
, Both involve me nursing a newborn. Ds1 was halfway in my line of sight...what I could NOT see was the permanent marker he was using to color the cabinet! Thankfully, it came off with a magic eraser!

DD & DS 2 rubbed Eucerin cream all over the bottom of the bunkbed...under the bed!

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#14 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Another time, the.kids drew Patrick the Starfish on their bedroom wall in crayon! magic eraser left a permanent star outline that time.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#15 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM

Dd was maybe a year and a half.  I vaguely noticed she was napping longer than usual, and was enjoying it thoroughly. I finally went to check her out and found she'd grabbed the tube of Desitin and had smeared the white goo all over her face, her shirt, her cuddle pillow and the headboard. I laughed so hard. And managed to get a picture.

mamazee likes this.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#16 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

A whole canister of dry oatmeal on the living room carpet. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#17 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 03:47 PM

A whole box of cherry tomatoes squished and spread around the kitchen while I took a catnap. Another time, sewing pins, fabric, and my notions scattered all over the back bedroom.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#18 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM

When I was pregnant with DS, both the dds unwrapped a few rolls of toilet paper all over the floor..... not so bad, except they made confetti out of it.  I had been resting on the bed, right next to them.  I should have known they were up to no good.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#19 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 05:41 PM

Not really a mess, but a heart attack for me.  I left my 3yo DS to watch TV for a few minutes while I put his baby brother down for a nap.  Within a few minutes, I heard stomping outside the second story bedroom window and a little head bobbing by.  Then he said through the window "Look mommy, I climbed the scaffolding all by myself"  AHHHHH!  That was great incentive for DH to finish that side of the house super fast.

mamazee and Springshowers like this.
#20 of 44 Old 09-21-2013, 07:40 PM

dumped out corn chips stomped to bits on the living room floor was the Best mess, the peanut butter spread all over his legs after giving him a sandwich in his rear-facing car seat while I nursed the baby before going to the Indoor playground- which totally Looked like poop, is the runner up, but the Totally worst one was actual poop! Diaper removed, s#%*t spread all over the living room columns and leather couch!

I lost my cool, called off our plans (the ones I was busy getting ready for when he made the mess) and made him sit in timeout the whole time I cleaned it up. The next morning he went over to the scene of the crime and said, "What happened to this messy picture?" all innocent and sincere, and I couldn't help but laugh!

Springshowers likes this.
#21 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 AM

The October that my youngest was 3, I had green nail polish in the bathroom, for a witch costume.  He was quiet.  We found him, having painted stripes of green nail polish - about his eye-level - all around the bathroom walls and door.  Also, stripes of traditional berry-red polish...which made it festive for Christmas, by which time we still had not repainted.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#22 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 06:27 AM

lol - i have one regarding actual poop as well!  My DD1 was always quiet in her crib after waking up - she would lay in there and talk to her stuffed animals for close to an hour sometimes (shes now in college - this back in the good old days of comfort items in cribs!)  one morning i walked in to find she had used the contents of her diaper to paint her crib!  - ugh, up and down all the bars - smeared across many stuffed animals - who met their untimely demise that day!    She was about 18 months old.  - i didnt use a crib with subsequent children....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#23 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
When my DD was about 18 months she unraveled a yarn skein and tangled herself in it while I was on the phone, she was so happy and cute that I supervised as she continued. When she was five she and her friend uses my makeup to look beautiful, it was a big mess and they were beautiful clowns.

As a side note, goo be gone takes crayon off surfaces with almost no scrubbing.
#24 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Many years ago our first house was on the market. So, we had to have the house spotless and ready for showing at any time. Our two older girls were 4 and 2 years old. We had an other couple over who also had a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. The kids were playing upstairs, our girls had just gotten bunkbeds and the kids were enjoying climbing around.

They were fairly quiet and my dh and I were enjoying socializing with an other couple our age. I went upstairs to check on the kids and..... it was snowing! Someone had taken an entire container of cornstarch baby powder and it was sifting down, covering every surface in the room. I just stood there for a minute not believing what I was seeing. Then the phone rang and my husband said the realtor had called and was going to show the house in 15 minutes! I started to cry.

My 4 year old and her 4 year old accomplice told me, "The babies did it."  The babies were sitting on the floor and the two 4 year olds were on the top bunk of the bed, and the container of cornstarch baby powder was lying on the floor right under the top bunk, however. At that point I just needed to get it cleaned up. The other mom came up and we vacuumed and cleaned and dusted while the men kept the children busy. We got it powder free enough for the realtor to show the house. There was still baby powder in every crevice of our upstairs and it's most likely still there.

A few days later, I found my 4 year old sitting in a corner crying. I asked her what was wrong.

She said, " 'Member when Richard and I said the babies threw all that baby powder all over our room?"

"Yes, I do. It was quite a mess, wasn't it?"

"Yeah.....the babies didn't do it....(sob) Richard and I did!" she then broke down in tears and I held her and told her I was very glad she had been honest with me. I was 99% sure that the babies weren't to blame in the first place, but I was glad she finally came clean. :Hug

VocalMinority likes this.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#25 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM

One of my aunts had her first 4 children in a little over 3 years. She had been changing a diaper (they were all in diapers at one time at one point) and came in the living room to answer the door. Her oldest had gotten into a huge box of those gigantic sanitary napkins (y'know those napkins they used to give women after childbirth, the big cardboard box with the nurse on the front? My aunt was always post partum and evidently bought these napkins in bulk!) Her oldest son had taken the napkins like they were blocks and had built  roads and buildings and made a whole "Rag City" in the living room, and a delivery man walked in the door just as she saw the bizarre art project.

mamazee and Springshowers like this.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#26 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 01:03 PM

I had a pile of clean laundry on the living room floor waiting to fold. I found the laundry out the window in the freshly mowed grass and piles of fresh mowed grass covered my entire living room. Oh, and the window screen had already been broken earlier.
mamazee likes this.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#27 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaz-b View Post

Not really a mess, but a heart attack for me.  I left my 3yo DS to watch TV for a few minutes while I put his baby brother down for a nap.  Within a few minutes, I heard stomping outside the second story bedroom window and a little head bobbing by.  Then he said through the window "Look mommy, I climbed the scaffolding all by myself"  AHHHHH!  That was great incentive for DH to finish that side of the house super fast.

Wow! I would have had a heart attack too! ACK!!
#28 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i have a few but i'll only tell the ones that were memorable to me

- 18 months old. climbed the bathtub and got the whole giant jar of eucerin all over teh tub and on most of her body except the back. gosh she was so cute i only smiled. thick layer on the bathtub, inch thick on her. took me HOURS to clean up but dd had the softest skin ever for while. also same age. we had guests for dinner and were entertaining them. dd toddled over to the bathroom. suddenly i reaslised she'd been gone for awhile. guest went over to the bathroom and i went to teh bedroom. suddenly i heard laughter from the bathroom. dd had take out my whole new packet of heavy pads and pasted them all over. 

2 years old. in a tupperwear she'd poured shampoo, liquid soap, my liquid make up, toothpaste and was making a 'soup'.

3 years old. HAIRCUT. poked my head and had a heart attack. on the potty with its lid down were the kitchen scissors and a bunch of hair. dd had cut bangs. she did such a perfect job that i couldnt help but stand in awe. mommy i really really really wanted to cut hair but you wouldnt let me cut your hair for you. she started giving me a trim from about 8 and she did a good job keeping it straight. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#29 of 44 Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

3 years old. HAIRCUT. poked my head and had a heart attack. on the potty with its lid down were the kitchen scissors and a bunch of hair. dd had cut bangs. she did such a perfect job that i couldnt help but stand in awe. mommy i really really really wanted to cut hair but you wouldnt let me cut your hair for you. she started giving me a trim from about 8 and she did a good job keeping it straight. 

How cool!

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#30 of 44 Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM

DD was all up in my make up bag!!! was up to no good!

Tags
Child , Toddler , Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page