Children Making Bets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

My girls are doing this today.  They are betting on the emergence of a toy dragon from it's earthen block.  50 cents a piece.  They are 7 and 8.5yo.

I think this is innocent and sweet, but it made me realize, that I have no clue what guidelines there should be?  Have you ever had kids making bets, play gambling games, etc?  How have you dealt with the fallout of winning or losing?

Maybe I'm overthinking this.  It is one instance, not a string of escalating events.  But I grew up in Las Vegas, so the negative impact of gambling is very clear to me.  That was not the experience in my immediate family, so really I see both sides of the coin (har har).  Anyhow, it's not an issue that I automatically take lightly, is what I'm saying.

So, Experience?  Guidelines?

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

The girls have already discovered two guidelines *for* betting-- no "backsies", and don't bet more than you are willing to lose.

But by "guidelines" I don't just mean guidelines *for* playing, but guidelines from parents similar to what we'd make for roughhousing... including when to stop "the game" or completely disallow it.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 3 Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I will never forget when my oldest was about...hmmm....maybe four? or five?....he had this little collection of very small plastic pokemon figures that he loved. He met a similar age girl at the park and they decided to race and he offered her up one of his toys if she won. I dont think it occurred to him that she might win and he might lose a toy. Had i overheard the conversation i would have intervened and said (in a child friendly/positive way) that no, we do not promise to give away our toys at the park, that the winner of the race can just enjoy knowing they won or something like that. 

But he lost, and she wanted her toy. She wanted the super unique special horse-like one that just about killed him to part with. He offered her one of the others to no avail. It was a very awkward spot for me to be in because i didnt feel like i could just walk away and say "sorry girlie you're not getting it" but at the same time i really felt for my son. The girl's mother just stood there waiting for my son to hand over his toy. If i had been in her situation (and i have been at times) i would have said to my child "honey, we really shouldnt be taking toys from people at the park, i know it was a bet but he's so sad about losing his pokemon. Maybe we can find you something cool in the crank machine at X store/at the dollar store/etc" and hustled my kid away and distracted him with something fun elsewhere. What if it had not been a dollar toy but a ten dollar toy? Would the mother have been ok letting her child take it? 

So i tend to have a policy of no we dont make bets for toys (esp) or for money, and we dont randomly give our toys away. Esp if the child is at an age where they dont really understand the permanency of losing the bet. 

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page