Do your kids ever eat Happy Meals? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

No. My kids hate McDonald's more than DH or I do. I think they got that from some online resources. We never go there, but aren't really vocal about it. We just prefer somewhere like Subway if we're doing the road trip fast food. We don't do that in town since we have a lot of other options for take-out that we like better. I don't like McDonald's or any of the fast food burger joints, personally, so I don't feed the kids that either. There are plenty of non-healthy options I do like that I will feed them. We have an Evo's in town (organic/natural fast food burger joint) and we do go there quite a bit. If I felt sick/bad and needed DH to pick something up on the way home he'd probably either get a pizza from a local joint or pick something up from our local natural foods co-op. They have a lot of prepared meals and a cafe. We eat out a lot more than we should, but McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Hardee's, Jack In The Box, etc just aren't our thing. We do Taco Bell and Subway on the road. My dd1 loves any kind of Mexican or Mexican-like food. 

DH is great about fixing the kids something to eat. It's usually nothing fancy. He makes a good grilled cheese sandwich, though, and opens a mean box of Annie's Mac-n-Cheese. I usually have some kind of fast freezer snacks available like mini chicken tacos or mini pizzas that the kids like, so if I were completely laid out and couldn't even operate the toaster oven to heat up something, he steps in and does it, or the kids do themselves. (They're plenty old enough to do more of that on their own than they do.) Sometimes he does it even if I'm just blah and could get myself up to do it, but am just having an off day. He's a great dad and has been in charge a lot while I've dealt with aging parents. I also do a Friday night volunteer shift at our local co-op and he and the girls rustle up something for themselves or go out, etc every week.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I need to get a toaster oven. Or a DH. LOL.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Beanma wrote:

Quote:
 DH is great about fixing the kids something to eat. It's usually nothing fancy. He makes a good grilled cheese sandwich, though, and opens a mean box of Annie's Mac-n-Cheese.

Those are my dad's two specialties! :love  Well, it was Kraft mac-n-cheese.  Now that I think about it, it seems like he made lunch every Saturday when I was little.  I don't even remember if my mom was usually around to eat with us.  She was a SAHM with serious back problems, and I think that was her time off.

I'm actually old enough to remember when Happy Meals were introduced....  My family didn't eat out very often, but McDonald's was literally the only restaurant on the turnpike going to/from my grandparents.  I remember the day when I realized that their orange drink, which I had previously enjoyed, was in fact dreadful--I was around 10, and I guess my tastes had just changed.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

I need to get a toaster oven. Or a DH. LOL.

I tell you, we use that toaster oven every day. We don't have a toaster. It's definitely the one kitchen appliance that gets the most use aside from the stove. We use it far more than the regular oven or the microwave. 

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Maybe that will be the gift "Santa" brings me. I had one years ago, but but didn't bring it when I moved up here. DD likes to make grilled cheese sandwiches in the toaster, bot a toaster oven would be so convenient.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a McDonald's right by us that is pretty much right on the way home from anywhere. I honestly eat there way more often than the kids do (it's too tempting if I'm running errands and realize I haven't eaten), but I do stop there if we've been out and things are getting stressful and I want something to turn everybody's mood around. (And if DH isn't with us, because he ONLY likes the McRib.) I'd guess two or three times a year. That said, my kids have never gotten Happy Meals (at least not from me), because I'm not spending twice as much to get a fancy bag (which is just going in the trash anyway!) and a cheap plastic toy that will be lost or broken by the end of the day. I get the $1 McDouble sandwich and a $1 order of french fries for each of them, and let them drink water at home. (We drink water over other drinks as much as possible.)

Also, occasionally I take a couple of kids and go further down the road to the McDonald's with a Play Place, but when I do that they hardly even touch their food, so I just buy something for myself and a big thing of fries.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I tell you, we use that toaster oven every day. We don't have a toaster. It's definitely the one kitchen appliance that gets the most use aside from the stove. We use it far more than the regular oven or the microwave. 

Same here!  Ours is a DeLonghi & is also a dehydrator.  I never use the dehydrator because we use the oven multiple times a day (including right now!).

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:07 PM

We sometimes get fast food (usually no more than once a month) but I have NEVER bought them a fast food kids meal that includes a toy. It's a sickening marketing ploy that I refuse to take part in. I especially try to avoid McDonalds because they are the worst offenders of any fast food chain when it comes to marketing to children. Apparently it has paid off, because when my 7 year old recently had her first happy meal on an outing with a friend, she told me that she didn't really care for the food. YES! My advice to health conscious parents would be: get the hamburger and fries if you're out and about and need a quick meal, but skip the soda and ALWAYS skip the toy! Alternate option: keep the toy to give them at a later time (maybe after eating some vegetables) so they're not associating rewards with junk food.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 PM

The new Happy Meals have miniature American Girl dolls (Isabelle) in them. DD is going to be excited.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 PM

I just went through the drive thru myself (McD's vanilla shakes... My pregnancy craving of choice!) but I don't think I would ever make it a habit with my kids (none yet - prego FTM).

Personally, as a child, I ate McDonalds every weekend when my father would take me out. And I was an extremely overweight child to begin with. This personal experience makes me wary of fast food and children. As a treat? Sure! But never all the time like I was raised.

Me belly.gif& DBF jammin.gif (2/14/2010) expecting our first  stork-girl.gif (7/22/2014 - Harlow Josephine) loving parents of one furbabycat.gif
Future cloth-diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding mamacita. saynovax.gif 

Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

There's a few mcd's playgrounds around that, when it's raining, are the only place you can take an energetic toddler to play. We eat way more happy meals than we'd like.

We're also pretty sure that my dad has been feeding our 13 mo McD's fries and nuggets and such even after we've repeatedly told him not to- given the temper tantrum kiddo threw yesterday because he wanted the fries. banghead.gif

Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

When my dd was little I'd occasionally take her to play at McDonald's playgrounds, but only after eating a substantial meal so she'd be full. If she wanted one of the toys, I'd buy the meal, throw it away and give her the toy. When she was really curious I'd let her have a Happy Meal, but now that she's older she won't go near one with a ten foot pole because the food is so lousy. 

Old 05-23-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

If she wanted one of the toys, I'd buy the meal, throw it away and give her the toy.

You can just buy the toy. I didn't know that until a friend told me recently. Sometimes we drive through and just get a cookie and a toy or something.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Tags
Parents , Parenting , Food
User Tag List