Votes: 1 1.8%
  • We are night owls! Fill in your answer

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other! Isn't there always and other in polls? Fill in your answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

Poll: What time do you get up?

1K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  snow-rose 
#1 ·
I get up at what I think is a fairly average time. But talking to others teachers and parents at D.S. school, I have realized it is fairly early.

Now to the good stuff, the poll!

#2 ·
Pre 7am is early? Maybe it depends on the stage of your life.

There was one wonderful year when I was a sahm and the kids' school didn't start till, like, 8:15am or something. That was divine. We'd sleep till 7:45, later sometimes. My impression was that most of my mom friends got up earlier.

Those days are gone! I don't need to be at work till 9:30, but I'm up by about 6:15. Get dh to the train station by 7am, go back home and get ds to school by 7:30.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

There was one wonderful year when I was a sahm and the kids' school didn't start till, like, 8:15am or something. That was divine. We'd sleep till 7:45, later sometimes.
Whoa, how did you swing that? My kids' school starts at 8:20, and even on days I don't shower before taking them to school, we need to be up by 7:20 to have enough time for them to use the bathroom, get dressed, have breakfast, brush hair and teeth, put shoes on, and get to school (leaving at 8:05). You're quick!!

#5 ·
Up between 4:30 and 5 am to leave the house at 6:30am. I have to get myself up and ready, get DD up at 5:30, DS up a 6, and play the whole re-waker, cheerleader, and/or drill seagent while putting lunchboxes/backpacks together. We have a 30 minute drive to HS for DD. Then another 15 minute drive to ES for DS.

....and yes, I really feel like that's too early....*YAWN*

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Whoa, how did you swing that? My kids' school starts at 8:20, and even on days I don't shower before taking them to school, we need to be up by 7:20 to have enough time for them to use the bathroom, get dressed, have breakfast, brush hair and teeth, put shoes on, and get to school (leaving at 8:05). You're quick!!
School was a 6 minute drive away and we were late a lot. Seriously. I should qualify my original statement by saying that that was only one school year, and it was a bad year in other regards. I was depressed a lot and didn't have my sh!t together.

I'm a night owl and I've always had a horrible time getting up. For a while that year it was nice to have the luxury to take it easy and be late in the morning. Predictably, getting a better sleep habit (go to bed earlier, get up earlier) helped me feel better.

#7 ·
Quote:

School was a 6 minute drive away and we were late a lot. Seriously.
Ha, this part of your post made me laugh out loud! I'm sorry it was a tough year though. I wouldn't say I'm a night owl by nature, but I like alone time so much that I end up staying up late just so I can be by myself. And then it's so hard to get up the next day, and I feel lousy for most of the day, which starts a pattern and just makes everything worse. I agree that an earlier bedtime is the key to feeling better, but it's so hard to give up those luxurious quiet alone hours at night!

#9 ·
Between 6 and 8, usually closer to 6. Kids tend to get up with the sun.

#10 ·
Until recently, I got up at 5am every morning. DH had an awesome schedule at work that let him go in before traffic and be home by around 3pm. (It was great because he was able to go to all of my prenatal appointments, and spend time with the kids in the afternoon!) So I would get up at 5 and make coffee for both of us, and then we'd spend time together while he got ready for work, and I'd walk him out and kiss him goodbye every morning.
smile.gif
Then, because I was already up, I just went ahead and woke the kids and got our day started. That also worked out well because, with starting homeschooling so early in the morning, we were often done by lunch.

Unfortunately that job ended a few days ago.
greensad.gif
Pretty sure that DH is about to be offered another job, but it will probably be a standard 9-5 schedule. Too bad.

#13 ·
I voted between 6 and 7 because that's when I get up, depending on time of year. I get up with the sun so earlier in the summer, later in the winter. My dh gets up at 5 am regardless of time of year or when the sun rises. Dylan gets up at 7 am, usually by his phone which is also his alarm clock. I also go to bed around 11 pm; dh is usually in bed by 9; Dylan goes to bed at 10:30.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Mine used to be picked up at 5:50am, and she woke up at about 5:30 (showered night before). I got up at 5. Took the dogs out, made her breakfast and the rest of her meals for the school day (yes, mealS)), got her up and out to the bus. Four years of that. And I miss it now that it's over.

#15 ·
DH and I get up at 4am. I go to work, and he gets the kids up/ready for school at about 6:45. We sleep in till 7 or 8 on weekends.

#16 ·
I get my daughter up at 630(ish) for school (she's out the door to the bus stop by about 710) and then try to have my boys up by 730 for their 805 bus. None of the kids like to eat breakfast so its basically just a mad dash to get dressed. Thankfully *I* dont have to be dressed. Normally i would just go back to bed after they leave but i have a 2 yo foster daughter who usually wakes up by 730 so thats out. Sometimes i nap when she takes her nap but that usually makes me feel worse.

In the summer when we dont HAVE to be up i'd rather get up after 930 (or..like...11am lol)....but now the kids are on this god awful school schedule so they even wake up early on weekends. I like to stay up at night til 2am (or later...but try hard to be in bed before 2) and its the only time i ever get time w/o kids. Last year when the boys were in preK that didnt start til 1230 we'd often sleep way late. I never thought they'd acclimate to an early school schedule but they did. They are actually in bed by 8-830 most nights which is totally crazy to me.

#17 ·
Quote:

Pre 7am is early? Maybe it depends on the stage of your life.
yes, pre 7am is early. There is no stage of my life in which waking before 7am will be anything other than horrifically EARLY. My son's paternal grandmother used to think we were soooo lazy because by 9am she'd already gone out to breakfast and run several errands by the time she cam a knockin' meanwhile we were dead asleep. What she didnt seem to get was that while she was snug in her bed at midnight we might be out at Denny's or the grocery store or hanging out at home wide awake getting stuff done or just watching tv or whatever. Different strokes.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

yes, pre 7am is early. There is no stage of my life in which waking before 7am will be anything other than horrifically EARLY.
:twins

Thanks for the laugh.
Although i get up pre 7am, and have done since ds started kindgergarten, (for the last 3 years) i still think there is something unnatural about getting up before dawn-it just aint right. However, my body has adjusted because i (and kids) go to bed ridiculously early, and yes, it is ridiculous, perhaps less so for them than for me.

My parents seem to think its normal. but they are in their 70's.

#21 ·
I usually get up between 6 and 7am. This isn't my natural inclination, I am a night owl given the choice, but I sleep with DD2 and it is when she wakes. And on the days that DH works early shifts he needs to start getting ready for work then too.

If I've had a rough night I will give DD2 to DH and go back to bed but I can rarely sleep past 8am these days.

Pre-children I would happily sleep until 9 or 10am if I wasn't working an early shift.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I usually get up between 6 and 7am. This isn't my natural inclination, I am a night owl given the choice, but I sleep with DD2 and it is when she wakes. And on the days that DH works early shifts he needs to start getting ready for work then too.

If I've had a rough night I will give DD2 to DH and go back to bed but I can rarely sleep past 8am these days.

Pre-children I would happily sleep until 9 or 10am if I wasn't working an early shift.
I find this interesting. It shows that night owls are born , not made.

I would describe myself as a morning lark, because i love nothing better than the beautiful energy i get when i first wake, and there is something special about those first hours. HOWEVER, i still think its unnatural to wake pre dawn, and that is what between 6-7 is nowadays. Ie, i wake up considerably earlier than i used to, but even then, i would wake at 8 or 9, and still considered myself a morning person. I went out in the evenings though, and sometimes got home late. I also worked late shifts at one stage-i still preferred the morning then, but that was watching the sunrise after a nights work! Then i felt like absolute crap the following afternoon,only to regain my well being by about sunset-welcome night owl!

#23 ·
I read an article in the paper a while ago which discussed some research demonstrating the night or morning person is pre-determined and not a decision or lifestyle choice. Apparently it is much healthier if you can honour your natural bent although this is pretty hard in modern society.

I must admit I do enjoy being up early some mornings and they can be very productive for me on occasion but, more than a couple and I am exhausted. It was hell when I had to get up at 5:30am for a 7am shift start. It didn't matter what time I went to bed the night before. And most of the time I couldn't sleep when I went to bed early anyway. More than once in my career I did permanent nights to avoid early shifts and I have also occasionally done an evening-to-night double instead of doing an evening follows by a day shift. Crazy times. Good preparation for parenting though. I have yet to be as tired by my children as I was by permanent nights
lol.gif

#25 ·
If I get to sleep in until 7 I am beyond thrilled! We live on the border of Canada, so in the summer it gets light before 5 and in the winter it's still darkish at around 8. My kids wake up at around 5:30 - 6:00 every morning, regardless of the sun being out or not. Drives me nuts, because no matter how quiet they are, they wake the baby up - who, like me, is a natural night owl. :)

We don't have to be up that early. My son's school bus doesn't pick him up until after 8, and they don't take a long time getting ready for school. But they like to get up and play in their rooms or read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.