Do you make "special" dinners for your people? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have some dietary restrictions but I don't wannnna! be a short order cook, so one meal fits everyone, for the most part. I do special meals for special occasions like birthdays and such and I really like that. I let my meal creativity flow and worry less about the cost.

What about you? Special meals?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Do you mean making different meals for each family member to eat at the same meal?  As in, dh & I are having chicken and ds wants egg rolls?

If so, yup, I don't have a problem with it.  But, there are just the 3 of us, so it isn't a big deal (ds is almost 15).

Ds pretty much likes everything we eat.  It wasn't always that way and I had no aversion to fixing something "special/different" for him, if we were eating a dish he didn't like or wasn't in the mood for.  It wasn't a "battle" in my mind.  Just a difference in tastes!

Dh loves fish (especially trout and salmon) and the idea of eating fish makes me physically ill.  So, I fix him fish (always on our outdoor grill), while ds and I eat something else.  No sweat.

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

If I'm making something I know one or more kids will hate out of purely selfish desire on my part, I'll fry them up an egg or something. But ordinarily, no. The picky ones would be demanding something different Every. Single. Meal.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Once they're old enough, they can cook for themselves. My partner and I fix separate meals when we don't want the same thing. We usually fix separate breakfast and lunches. Sometimes we'll do something nice and one of us will fix two separate things for the other- but that's not the norm.

I wouldn't expect a toddler to be able to- but a 10 year old can certainly make a sandwich and most teenagers can use the stove and sharp knives.

#5 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Not typically and when DD was younger almost never. We mostly like the same foods and DD is okay with trying the occassional new thing. DD is ten and has tried many foods so she really does know her likes and dislikes so I have no problem making something different on the rare occasion she and I have different cravings.
#6 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Not usually. DH is vegetarian so sometimes there is a non-vegetarian component to a meal if I feel like having some meat. DD1 is going through a bit of a picky stage (she's three) so she doesn't always eat every component of a meal but there is usually something she will have. If she doesn't want any of the meal she can have plain yoghurt. This is just dinner. Breakfast and lunch we often have different things.

It is important to me that we all eat pretty much the same dinner most of the time. Both for logistical and financial reasons but also for the communality of sharing the same meal. I know that isn't important for everyone and I'm not making a judgment on that but it is something I value for us.
triscuit likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 7 Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

I am a short order cook, and it's really no big deal.  The analogy is a poor one, really, because it's not "I'd like hash browns and bacon/ I'd like a hamburger and fries/ I'd like grilled cheese and a salad/ I'd like a stir fry".  I've been know to say "Nope, can't do that tonight".  But here's how I make things easy:

I tend to make parts to put together as people wish.  So, casseroles are out.  Last night I made spicy hamburger, quinoa, and cabbage fried up in the spicy hamburger grease.  My oldest just had the hamburger, though she will often have quinoa too.  My youngest wanted chicken from last night, so I heated that in some chicken broth.  DH and I piled the whole lot together with some hot sauce.

My dd2, 7yo, just eats whatever, but dd1 likes a lot of the same foods, so I will often start with her if I'm not sure what I want to make.  "Do you want hash browns or mashed potatoes or quinoa with dinner?"  What she answers I'll make sure to have that be part of the meal.  So, one night the veggie was beets.  DD1 chose hash browns.  You cannot believe how delicious beets are with hash browns (with blue cheese sprinkles.  Mmmmm....)

Other times I'm more organized with meal planning and just make sure everyone has something they like, even if it means pulling out the vanilla yogurt for dd2.  Cereal is a totally acceptable option.  So is toast.  Carrot "fairy wands".  Apple slices.  There is almost always room on the stove for a hard boiled egg or broccoli.

This all started because of allergies.  I was adamant before about not making different meals, but was forced to reconsider, and it hasn't been that bad, in part because of how I organize the meals, and always have easy options for those that would otherwise opt out.  The cheese stays on the table as a condiment.  I make myself wheat toast when I make a batch of cornbread for the family I can't eat (yes, I have allergies that make me the one looking for something different.)

tracyamber likes this.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page