T.V. taking over - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Since the birth of DS2, now almost 3 months old, my 2 year old's screen time has gone from almost nil to out of control. I think I'm dealing with PPD (finally seeing a therapist later this week), and I guess I'm using the tv as a way to distract us all. I feel a huge amount of guilt over his screen time, but I just have no idea how to rein it in. I feel like the more he watches, the harder it us for him to amuse himself in other ways, and I don't have any clue as to what to do with him, especially with a baby in arms most of the time.

Has anyone else gone through this? Can we get back from here? How do we do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
 Has anyone else gone through this? Can we get back from here? How do we do it?

It's easy.  Unplug the TV & disconnect your cable connection.  Get rid of the TV if it is too much of a temptation (you could ask a friend or family member to keep it for you, if you don't want gone permanently).  TV is not required to live!

You can keep the TV and use it only for DVD usage.  Keep the DVDs out of the little one's reach and view and YOU control what he/she can or cannot watch.

We have never had TV reception, by choice (married 17 years).  Our 15 year old son has turned out just fine, and is an avid reader (a big part of that, we believe, has to do with NOT having TV).  We have several TVs AND great self-control.  We can access news through the internet and enjoy Netflix/Amazon for films.  None of us miss the huge amount of crap that is on television.

#3 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

many of us have gone through this. its nothing to worry about.

the first priority is you. take care of yourself. FIRST. 

forget the guilt (i know easy said than done). its a killer emotion for all of us. the first priority is YOU. once you feel more grounded (for lack of a better term) you will find ways.

and then you can attack the tv issue. 

i have done it with my addicted dd. you just have to put more effort in to break the bad habit.

tv is nothing but a bad habit. you help their withdrawal symptoms. and soon the habit is broken and then its back to ocassional watching. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 4 Old 01-09-2014, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

many of us have gone through this. its nothing to worry about.

the first priority is you. take care of yourself. FIRST. 

forget the guilt (i know easy said than done). its a killer emotion for all of us. the first priority is YOU. once you feel more grounded (for lack of a better term) you will find ways.

and then you can attack the tv issue. 

i have done it with my addicted dd. you just have to put more effort in to break the bad habit.

tv is nothing but a bad habit. you help their withdrawal symptoms. and soon the habit is broken and then its back to ocassional watching. 

Thank you for this, meemee! I needed to hear that. I am trying to let go of the guilt, and remind myself that this is only a phase for all of us.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page