My child is starting to stutter horribly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My 3.5 just started stuttering a week or 2 ago, and it had gotten so bad in the last few days, it's scaring me.  He'll try to say "I can't wait"...and it'll come out "I I I I I I" and he won't be able to finish the sentence.  He's started putting a hand on his mouth.  He's also had a big speech explosion when he turned 3, and he started speaking in complete sentences, but he substitutes letter sounds...like "monster" is "mopler"  and "funny" is "hunny" ... the speech is getting better, but it's still hard to understand him sometimes.  I made an appointment for an evaluation but they didn't have an opening until May.  I'm thinking I should just get him into a private speech pathologist as soon as possible.  I was reading risk factors on http://www.stutteringhelp.org/risk-factors and he's got a few of those red flags...like starting after 3.5 and some incorrect letter sounds.

How do I find a good speech pathologist?  I went from not worrying about his speech to being very worried in a matter of days, so haven't had time to do all the research yet.  Should I bother talking to his pediatrician, or not really?  Any other advice?  We have a new baby in the house (3 months old), so I'm sure there's all kinds of stress for my son.

#2 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would start with contacting your school district and asking about their Early Intervention program. We did speech through the school district for two of our boys and they were very accommodating (even though we homeschooled).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I would start with contacting your school district and asking about their Early Intervention program. We did speech through the school district for two of our boys and they were very accommodating (even though we homeschooled).

We homeschool as well, and the lady that scheduled the appt. told me that to actually receive services, my son would need to be enrolled in a pre-school.  That's why I'm wondering if I should just have him evaluated right now elsewhere since it doesn't sound like we can get therapy with them.  Just not sure how to evaluate different therapy places yet to make sure to get a good one.  

Did your kids also stutter?

#4 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would wait until may to do anything. Both of my boys went through a stuttering faze, and one went through it twice. It was bad enough that my father was worried, but we waited, NEVER made a big deal about it, and didn't try to speak for the stutterer. It cleared up on its own, and I understand that the majority of cases will. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#5 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

I would wait until may to do anything. Both of my boys went through a stuttering faze, and one went through it twice. It was bad enough that my father was worried, but we waited, NEVER made a big deal about it, and didn't try to speak for the stutterer. It cleared up on its own, and I understand that the majority of cases will. 

One thing that's freaking me out is that when his stuttering gets really bad, he'll put his hand over his mouth and start saying "babababababa"  - which isn't part of what he's trying to say...

Can you tell me how old your kids were when they started stuttering and did they have any other speech issues?  How long did the stuttering last?

#6 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not 100% sure when it happened, but my memory serves that both boys stuttered before 3, and again at an older time-- I'm thinking 5?  It lasted fairly long term-- months each time. One boy was more of a "repeat the first sound" kind of stutterer, and the other was a "repeat the first 3 words of a sentence repeatedly" kind of stutterer on his second time through the process. 

http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/stuttering-topic-overview

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/stutter.html

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/differential-diagnosis

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/if-you-think-your-child-stuttering

There's no harm in getting a referral from the school system and starting Early Intervention, if you feel that you are worried about it. I found through my reading that it ususally resolves, and read plenty of stuff about letting it alone. The links above may be helpful. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#7 of 9 Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Also: some studies have shown that lots of singing can help! Worth a try; can't hurt.

#8 of 9 Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

stuttering is a social reaction. 

i am not sure what you are doing with your son... but i wouldnt want to 'draw attention' to his stuttering. try to do things in a natural way. like Red Pajama said, never draw attention to it. 

everyone has different ways in which they dont stutter. one young man never stuttered when he spoke to the zoo animals. but his father noticed if he came close to his son while he was talking to the zoo animals he'd start stuttering. so his father stayed some distance away. 

may is not that far away. in the meantime i would look at whatever source you can find. even your pediatrician.

the thing is to be prepared this is a long haul. even if you started right away, it will take time. 

are there any universities near you that have a speech program? you might check there as they sometimes have excellent programs. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 9 Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Both my boys also stuttered for a bit around age 3.  Both my boys were early talkers, very articulate, but around age 3 1/2, my older son started stuttering.  He outgrew it around 4, 4 1/2.  I was so worried, had him in for testing, etc, but it turned out to be just a stage he was going through, his mind was working a million miles an hour and his mouth couldn't keep up.  My little one just turned 3 and also just started stuttering, sometimes quite persistently.  I made a note of it for the pediatrician, and he is also being watched for other issues, but I'm not too worried about it- he'll likely outgrow it in time.  If you're worried, get it checked out, but don't lose sleep over it- it's likely a stage that's common for children your son's age, and even iif it's not just a stage, your son will get help with it, it will be okay.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page