What about baby swings for newborns? any suggestions...also A&D ointment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,

Curious what your thoughts are on baby swings and which ones do you recommend? Also is it healthy to use A&D with every diaper change to prevent diaper rash?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
One of my kids loved the swing. The other one hated it. I think it can be a useful tool (especially if there will be only one adult home with baby some of the time). Sometimes its nice to have somewhere to put the baby down, and give your arms a rest. I think any swing that meets safety standards would be fine.

A&D ointment- Again, can be a useful tool, if they have occasional diaper rash. I'd talk to the baby's dr. about severe diaper rash, as it could be thrush, allergies, or another medical problem.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#3 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

colicky baby. swing was a lifesaver.

but i only got it when i found i needed it. we used it regularly till she was about 5 months. 

cant help you with the diaper cream. i am not sure if i used the cream regularly or not. perhaps if i saw redness. she went thru phases when she had really bad rash. i'd put on the cream then and also let her go bare bottom. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Swings are great for certain babies. Others hate it.

I've fostered, and cared for, lots of babies. I've never routinely used diaper cream. Only when needed. Triple Paste is my favorite.
#5 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
We were loaned a swing with our first baby. We used it a handful of times but we all, her included, usually preferred to wear her. We didn't have one at all with our second and didn't miss it.

I don't know what A&D cream is but I prefer not to use any cream with every nappy change. It's all chemicals of some sort, KWIM? I use cream if they start to look a little bit red. With DD1 we used pawpaw cream but it irritated DD2's skin so we use sudocrem (zinc cream) for her.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Our baby wasn't big on the swing. It was one of the places he'd sometimes sleep, though.

We use diaper cream after poo. Use it more if you need it.

#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2014, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My DD loved the swing, DS not so much.  It's really useful for naps when they're teeny tiny.  The motion really helps ... we have a Fisher Price three-position swing that we love.

My mother swore by A&D.  We used Boudreaux's Butt Paste with DD and only a bit of coconut oil here and there for DS.  I only use it when they look red or rashy,

DD 2/08
#8 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My son liked the swing.  I think it's a fine thing to have but hardly a necessity, and it's important not to overuse it.  My main use for it was when his dad was not home and I needed to do laundry, which in our house means going into the basement for about 20 minutes and reaching above your head to put things on/off the clothesline--it was difficult to do while babywearing, and there was no good place to set him down in the basement.  In the swing, he was stimulated enough that he didn't get upset about being alone.

A&D or the similar Balmex (better for cloth diapers because it doesn't contain fish oil, which can leave a lingering odor) was great to protect his skin when he had a rash.  We did not use it for prevention.  We felt it was more natural (and cheaper and easier!) to let his skin protect itself as much as possible, than to get him used to being coated with stuff all the time.  Our main strategy for preventing rash was to change him ASAP once we realized he was wet/dirty.  We also found that plain water on a washcloth was much more effective at completely removing poop than those slimy disposable wipes.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page