Where do you put newborn when you are home alone and have to shower...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,

So I'm wondering if I should invest in a swing bouncer....I'll be home alone mostly with my baby when she arrives. And I have a cosleeper, not a crib right now. So I'm wondering if a bouncer or swing would be ideal for when I have to put her down for a few minutes for a bathroom break.

Any ideas? Anyone selling or giving away anything like that? I love the 4moms rockaroo, I think it's called, but it's a real investment for me right now. So I would love your thoughts before buying this item.

Thanks!

#2 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Personally I love the little bouncy chairs for the bathroom. I usually keep one in each level bathroom and one where I hang out the most. 

I can't use the toilet myself with a sling although I know many who do. And I find the bouncers are small enough  that they fit in the bathroom nicely. Then you can play "peek a boo" with the with the shower curtain and they usually stay happy. 

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

and you can usually find them in excellent condition for cheap in second hand stores or on online thrifting sites :)

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#4 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Are bouncy chairs OK for newborns, I mean less than 1 month old?

#5 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any thingy you put your baby in needs to be used in a way that prevents the baby's chin tilting.down to their chest. Their airways are small and easily compressed. It's a concern.with car.seats, bouncers, slings, etc. It doesn't.mean.you can't use them, just be aware.
#6 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM

I think a bouncy chair would be fine for a quick sitting (bathroom break, etc) for a 1 month old. I wouldn't for hours at a time due to as stated in the post above me.
#7 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

uyjjjjjjjjjfrfrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#8 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The pack and play with one on those things kids can lay under to watch and reach for ( I forget what they are called but they are semicircles with small toys attached) . For just using the bathroom the bathmat. When dd was very little and my ex and I were together he held her for about half an hour every night after she nursed while I showered or bathed. It really helped them bond.
#9 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
#10 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 PM

When DD was a baby I had a pack n play I used sometimes for that purpose, it sort of fit in the bathroom. Mostly though I just held her, and I do the same now with DS. When DH is home he holds the baby while I bathe or whatever, but he's often at work. Another option is to wait until y our LO is sleeping and bathe/shower then, though that means missing out on a little sleep it can be totally worth it.
That's not to say you can't use a bouncy seat or whatever, but I never had one and didn't miss it.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#11 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 PM

The bouncy chair is great for the bathroom floor!  Use it all the time from birth until about 8 months (when she was really intent on getting out of it!)  

#12 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 PM

I did a mixture of

- DH hold her (if he was home)
- when she was asleep
- lay her on the bathroom floor
- put her in the sink (this only works if your sink is big enough, obviously) padded with a folded towel.

I think it was much the same with DD1, except for the sink.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 15 Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 AM

We had a bouncy seat that I kept in the bathroom just so I could stash the baby in it and shower. When the babies would outgrow the bouncy then it was a extra saucer that I kept in the master bedroom and would drag into the bathroom doorway again as a safe place to stash baby/toddler. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 15 Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM

I swear I never knew I could take such fast showers until I had kids :)

I would either wait until they were napping and take a really fast one with the door open or just wait until my ex was home. This meant I sometimes was getting my shower near midnight, but I figured it was better than nothing. If I had no other choice, I would put my baby in a bouncer right at the door and be really quick.

#15 of 15 Old 03-30-2014, 11:26 AM

Toddler hijack.  X2

I loved a cradle swing for showers and using the stove when mine were tiny, and as they got bigger an exersaucer was helpful.  I never used them for long, but for a few minutes they were really helpful in my experience.

If only they worked with my 2yo. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page