• 1 Post By queenjane
  • 1 Post By superbeans

#1 of 9 Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
age appropriate

*sigh*

Went to a recital yesterday and there were some very talented kids. One in particular really threw me off....singing a piece that was very mature for her strong voice. While I understand that perhaps she chose this piece with the teacher as a way of demonstrating her abilities....it just didn't match her little body. She did perform very well but did not get as much applause as I thought because I am guessing that the majority of the audience was just as confused as I was. It is odd that the teacher approved this piece to sing since the teacher and I have been careful about age appropriate material for my own kids...

As it is, recitals are quite stressful for parents and obviously we all want out kids to perform successfully and feel good about themselves.....but sheeeesh...I'm at a loss over this one.

I wanted to add that the song was "Dark Side" by Kelly Clarkson...and it was sung by a 3rd or 4th grader.

That piece was loaded with some very heavy topics.

How would you feel about your daughter singing this at that age?

Last edited by pepin; 06-02-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add more info.
#2 of 9 Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I wouldn't have a problem with it.
#3 of 9 Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have no problem with children choosing their own songs at recitals. My dd chose a similar song for her recital and enjoyed singing it, which was the point of the recital.
#4 of 9 Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ok. I guess I am a bit old fashioned...and I don't mean like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or "Sound of Music" -- that being said, I still feel that this piece would have been more appropriate as a practice piece rather than a performance piece. The lyrics bothered me.
swede likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Had never heard of that song, so needed to google it.

Who are these kids taking singing lessons that are singing pop tunes? Whatever happened to choir and opera?

*old fashioned grumbling*
#6 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Eh, if the lyrics I googled are correct it wouldn't bother me. It wouldn't mean the same thing to a child. I get the weirdness, though, one of the girls at a recent talent show sang (and played on guitar very well) Folsom Prison Blues. That was disconcerting to hear coming out of a cute little kid to be sure! We were impressed by her talent -after we gave each other googleeyed looks- dd1 plays piano and sings and I know it's not easy for younger kids.

Last edited by stormborn; 06-06-2014 at 07:04 PM.
#7 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love that song. Every time I hear it i think of older child adoption (i'm an adoptive parent) and how this could be a plea from a child to a potential parent:

"Oh oh oh, there's a place that I know
It's not pretty there and few have ever gone
If I show it to you now
Will it make you run away?

Or will you stay
Even if it hurts
Even if I try to push you out
Will you return?
And remind me who I really am
Please remind me who I really am

Everybody's got a dark side
Do you love me?
Can you love mine?
Nobody's a picture perfect
But we're worth it
You know that we're worth it
Will you love me?
Even with my dark side?"

Who knows, maybe this particular song is quite meaningful to the little girl. Maybe she's a child who has gone through some rough stuff and wondered if she was still lovable. Maybe she's a child dealing with mental illness. Or maybe she just like the sound of it, or someone suggested it to her as a piece that would fit her voice.

Personally i dont find the song or the theme age inappropriate. I *do* sometimes take pause when i see younger kids singing songs that are too "flirty" or hovering on the edge of inappropriate sexual innuendo or something like that. I just dont see this song as falling into that catagory.
Linda on the move likes this.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#8 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
OP that is popular music. and kids love popular music. i've been blown away by 5 -6 year olds singing 'inapporopriate' songs. perhaps if i heard about it or read about it my thoughts would be different. but i've heard teeny tiny kids belt out popular songs by Rihana, Pink with such emotion and gusto (i dont think they get the words at all - its the beat they are reacting to) that i cant help but enjoy it.

i have a dd that also sings 'inappropriate' songs. she has had a very strong opinion in music and even at 9 would tell me where the expletives were taken out. most of the time she wasnt paying attention to the lyrics.

and yet i will say she has found songs that have shocked me. songs she says express her state of mind or feeling. i am grateful she found the 'words' to express herself, but many time the subject matter would make ME very sad.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A 3 year old in my daughter's preschool class told me when she grew up she wanted to be Lady Gaga. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I do prefer when my kids stick to somewhat appropriate songs... or if they are using a pop song at least they use the clean version of it. I remember when my son was in kindergarten the first time my husband and I went to a school dance show both of us looked at each other with dropped jaws when Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger started playing.
pepin likes this.

Mom through birth and foster care adoption to DS 9, DD 6, and DD 7 mos 
Check out my blog: No Bohns About It

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page