Mothering Forum banner

Send kids away for a week for "Grandma Camp? (or cousin camp)

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  puffingirl 
#1 ·
Would you ever let your mother in law (or mom) host a "grandma camp" or "cousin camp"? Would you let your kids go?

What is the best advice you could give to a grandma who wants to do this? (And mind you she is the mother in law to the moms)

If you have no idea what a Grandma camp is, this basically explains it

How to Host a Fun Grandma Camp or Cousin Camp for Grandchildren

#2 ·
Absolutely, I would be down with that. My kids are 7 and 5, and DS gets super bored in the summer child care program (which DD will be aging into this next summer). I usually work (this summer I had surgery instead), so pulling them out isn't really an option. I have really good memories of visiting my own grandparents, and going to "child safety" classes at their local rec center (they taught us how to look both ways before crossing the street), and playing with my cousins.

And then I remember being sent off to spend a week with my mom's dad one summer, and it being really awkward and weird. He didn't talk much, and his plans involved touring Amish country with teenagers. At one point, we went to Hershey Park, but couldn't go on any rides. It was not well thought out.

I think grandparent or cousin camp has to be taken on a case by case basis, but the article has sound suggestions, and I think a week with loving grandparents could be a great vacation for everybody. Basically, assuming that you have a decent relationship with the grandparents involved, the plans pass muster as sensible and likely to be fun, and your kids know them and are comfortable with them, I think it's great.

#6 ·
This. I don't think I'd trust any of my kid's grandparents with that until the kids were old enough to understand and set firm boundaries and find a way back home if necessary.

#7 ·
I like the idea in theory. In practice not so much, just because the grandparents involved (my mom & inlaws) aren't trustworthy. Except my dad who wouldn't do it anyway, two days with my kids is his limit. We have some adopted grandparents and great-aunts who could probably handle it though. The other thing is that my kids have no cousins, I'm an only and DH's sister is childless, so there would be no cousin fun time.

On the other hand, I have wonderful memories of playing with my many cousins while visiting grandparents. When I was a tween/teen I traveled solo to visit a favorite aunt (several hundred miles away) for a week or two each summer and it was great. I think it really depends on the family dynamic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.