windows and saftey - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-03-2002, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread is inspired by my friends 2 year old who fell out of the attic window the other day. He was fine except for his face was scraped by the shingles when they pulled him back in. Fortunately his parents were standing on either side of him when he fell.

My first response was that we must put bars on our attic wiindows (although I doubt our children could fit out them without some real effort) and then i thought the bed room windows were even more dangerous as they sit near the floor and are large. DDs are not really into common sense, are extremely accident prone and of course will do things just because I have warned them not to. This makes our windows particularly dangerous. My dh said barrs were a bad idea because they would be trapped in the case of a fire.

Does anyone have any good ideas, products to keep windows safe. We are concerned abour our second and third floor windows especially. I am thinking someone has to make a hinged product that would allow them to drop down when you needed out.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#2 of 6 Old 06-04-2002, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lilyka,

I have Guardian Angel II gates. I got them online through the Right Start. They come in a variety of sizes and pop out when needed. The phone number on them is 1 800 445 2370.

~Laura
#3 of 6 Old 06-05-2002, 11:08 AM

We only open our windows from the top, which should be safe enough now for a one year old (almost ), but we might need to revise that plan when ds ever gets big enough to open the window for himself.

Thanks for the gate tip, Laura

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#4 of 6 Old 06-05-2002, 12:02 PM

My dh has recently been saying he wants to get guards for our windows, but I just looked at rightstart.com and the Guardian Angel ones are $60 each! We would need six of them. Any more affordable options out there?
#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2002, 01:42 PM

In my window there are hole with pins ( on the top window frame) so the window only opens a few inches. I'm pretty sure you could buy something similar that would screw into the frame of the window in a hardware store.
When we put the air conditioners in the window my husband cuts a piece of wood exactly the right size so he has to bang it in a bit ( we do this so no-one can push the window open from the outside ) to make a nice tight fit. It wouldnt look all that pretty I suppose but you could do this width instead of length way to the height you want the window to be able to open?.?
Sounds like a cheaper way out.
#6 of 6 Old 06-05-2002, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our house is 100 years old and so are the windows. Opening from the top which would be the ultimate solution both for saftey and visual appeal would require replacing the windows at $250 a pop. We have 16 windows on the top 2 floors and you really cant replace just one. Also we don't have air conditioning (we hardly even have fans) and it gets quite hot here (90*s) so the windows need to be opened as much as possible. We put box fans in the girls room which worked great to both cool and block untill she stuck her fingers in it. Now she hates the thing and takes it out of her window and shoves it under her bed.

thinks for the tips though. Even if we could only afford to do the window bars in her bed room and the attic windows it would help. Hey at the price of the bars and a ceiling fan we could just as well buy a window AC and solve the whole problem. Hmmm. . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page