Favorite part of attachment parenting - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What aspect of attachment parenting do you enjoy the most?
cosleeping 34 33.01%
breastfeeding 49 47.57%
homebirth/midwife 5 4.85%
babywearing 5 4.85%
other 10 9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What aspect of attachment parenting do you enjoy the most?
#2 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 06:59 PM

i don't really do any of the things listed, but

i do believe and practice "gentle parenting".

Not Spanking and being kind and giving to my baby.

i love being his best friend and mom. i enjoy spoiling the heck out of him!

having him be really attached to me and very much a mommy's boy. i think that is wonderful. i think he is so deeply attached because all the time i spend spoiling him with constant attention and love. i enjoy the effects of spoiling. :-)

i don't use a carrier, but i wanted to, i just didn't like the way the looked. so i basically just carried him around 24/7, until now, that he is growing up, and likes to be "free". i hardly ever put him down, and my mom said, "you'll spoil him" and i said "good".

:-)

#3 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 06:59 PM

I can't vote... love them all and can't choose.
#4 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 08:23 PM

I voted breastfeeding but I also love the other ones just as much.

maybe you can edit the poll to be able to choose more than one.

i love the way my baby looks at me while i'm feeding him. i love how he slowly drifts off to sleep while looking at me. i love how i get to have a respite from my hectic days, just sitting in the glider or lying in the bed feeding him. i love how he laps up my nipples, and the sounds he makes when he's really hungry, like an animal, just about pounce on me. i love how he curls himself up when he sees me about to feed him and start this slow laugh and giggle.
#5 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 09:16 PM

Breastfeeding absolutely!!!

momofthreecuties
#6 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 09:22 PM

Breastfeeding for me too! Absolutely. I love co-sleeping and baby wearing too, but they have a few drawbacks every now and then (i.e., DD gets heavy in her sling, we once in a while wouldn't mind having the bed to ourselves). But breastfeeding....
I had no idea anything could be so utterly perfect.
I am positively in love with the nursing relationship my daughter and I share.
#7 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 09:45 PM

I love it all! I really love it from beginning (breastfeeding, baby wearing) to homeschooling and being a hands on parent. I just think it's such a fun way to parent!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 10:14 PM

I voted homebirth/midwife, but could just have easily voted breastfeeding. Until dd turns 2, having a homebirth is the "oddest" thing my friends think I've done. Once dd turns 2 and we're still nursing, that will probably take over!
#9 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 10:46 PM

I voted breastfeeding, because it seems to be the 'cornerstone' of our AP style. The homebirth is over, he prefers to sleep in his co-sleeper for half the night now, and he doesn't like to be in the sling anymore, unless he's really tired. Our breastfeeding relationship continues to evolve, it is such a huge part of how I parent.

But, homebirth led to co-sleeping and breastfeeding, which led to baby-wearing... The various aspects of AP are so entangled in one another, at least in my way of parenting, I could never do just one.
#10 of 29 Old 06-04-2002, 11:45 PM

Well I picked co-sleeping because we are still doing it probably 50% of the time and he is almost 6 yo! I loved BF too! I was so sad when he weaned at 20 mo.!

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#11 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 12:14 AM

That's a tough one because I could have voted for breastfeeding just as easily (I voted family bed). I chose family bed because my daughter is now 5 and I can foresee breastfeeding ending sooner than co-sleeping. But I cherish both just as I cherished baby-wearing while it lasted. Unfortunately I didn't do homebirth because at the time I didn't know better and gave the dr complete control.
#12 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 10:35 AM

I would have to say co-sleeping is my favorite part. I am unable to bf, I had a wonderful midwife but a hospital birth, and I don't put Skylar in a sling all that much. I do, however, love waking up with a warm snuggly baby up against me. Also, I love the fact that because I'm almost always with him that he comes to me for comfort and when he's tired. We have this secret language between the two of us that nobody will ever be able to understand

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#13 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 02:35 PM

I put breastfeeding, but I love them all.
#14 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 03:41 PM

all of the above
#15 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 05:43 PM

I put breastfeeding, but if I could I would have put co-sleeping/breastfeeding, as it is the snuggliness of the two combined I like the best.
#16 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 06:18 PM

I voted breastfeeding (as my signature shows)

But, I adore cosleeping and babywearing and the whole thing (#3 will be the first homebirth.)

As a WOH mom with a dh whose a stay-at-home dad, I personally found breastfeeding & cosleeping absolute necessities and complete joys!!

I didn't know I was practicing attachment parenting until my first was about 4 weeks old and I bought The Baby Book by Dr. Sears!
Until that point, dh & I called it 'caveman parenting'. I mean, really, would a cave momma let her baby cry by itself in the cave two rocks over!!!!
#17 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 06:49 PM

Breastfeeding. That milky mouth smiling up at me -my heart is melting just thinking about it. It's been 2 yrs since my youngest weaned, but I often think about it. It's the thing I miss most about my kid's baby/todderhood.
#18 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 10:52 PM

I voted other but really I need an all of the above choice.
#19 of 29 Old 06-05-2002, 11:01 PM

For me, it was babywearing. That was such an amazing experience, always having her near me.
#20 of 29 Old 06-06-2002, 04:05 PM

I voted homebirth/midwife ... even tho I had an emergency c-section, I labored until the pushing stage at home. I think that the midwives are the ones who really get the mother/baby relationship off to a good start ... I just wish more people would realize that, and involve them even if they chose to have a hospital birth or various interventions.
#21 of 29 Old 06-06-2002, 09:15 PM

I posted babywearing, but that's because I don't really like co-sleeping (I'll do it, I just don't love it) and I couldn't breastfeed. I loved having a newborn in a sling, and I love wearing my 2YO. I try to convert mamas to slings everywhere I go.

But my favorite aspect of AP is the relationship I have with my children. The openess, the love, the trust they have in me and the world...all things that I believe are a result of AP.

Kimberly
#22 of 29 Old 06-07-2002, 01:00 AM

I voted cosleeping because I just love waking up next to my boys. We almost always start the morning by reading books together. They are now 4 and 6 and still cuddle with mama and papa.

Although...if they were still breastfeeding I may have voted for that!
#23 of 29 Old 06-07-2002, 10:05 AM

Oh, so hard to choose just one! I voted for "other" because what I really love about AP is the end result of the breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and babywearing... being attached.

When there are difficulties -- teething pain, cat scratch, bumps from learning to walk -- I am happy to know that I can comfort DS with hugs and breastfeeding and that he knows that he can always come to me and to his dad for comfort.

I like co-sleeping and I was delighted to find that DH prefers having the baby sleep with us too. It does a lot for family unity.
#24 of 29 Old 06-07-2002, 11:38 AM

I love the closeness I feel with my family (Dh and Dd) and I love that I am doing what feels natural, right and gentle.

I like trusting myself and knowing that my family trusts me to make appropriate and safe choices for us all.

Mmmhmm!

Jess
#25 of 29 Old 06-08-2002, 10:50 AM

Ditto on the all of the above category.
#26 of 29 Old 06-08-2002, 11:05 AM

Because we are still BFing and we love it. Co-sleeping is a source of conflict with DH and I and babywearing is hard now with my 25 lb guy. No homebirth for us, though!

Jenn & Ben 15 mos

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#27 of 29 Old 06-13-2002, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also voted breastfeeding, not because I enjoy it so much as because I think it is extremely important and has been the thing that has really made the most difference in our relationship. Although cosleeping is probably a close second, but I coslept to make the breastfeeding relationship work out well. I still love lying next to my daughter to sleep, but I like getting up and going to my own bed too.

And I loved babywearing! It was just so cozy and I loved the close feeling of being able to kiss her head as I walked down the store aisles. I used and still use occasionally, a Maya Wrap and a NoJo, and they both still work!

I didn't try homebirthing last time, but I'm definitely wanting to try it this next time around!
#28 of 29 Old 06-14-2002, 02:16 PM

I love breastfeeding and babywearing too and everything else about AP, but there is nothing like waking up next to that little warm little biscuit and giving her kisses last thing before I go to bed and 1st thing in the morning. At first, we did it just for convenience sake, then we couldn't figure out why everyone doesn't do it, but, then again, I have to shake my head at most mainstream stuff.
#29 of 29 Old 06-14-2002, 02:58 PM

I voted breastfeeding, but co-sleeping really goes hand-in-hand with that. I can't imagine not doing either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page