I have a pool and was a lifeguard for a few years, so I'd like to share some tips for water saftey:
1) 2 hands and 2 eyes on the baby at all times
If they can't swim, hold onto them
I've seen parents holding onto their kids on a hip while talking to someone and the childs head under water...pay attention people!
2) toys in the pool - if you aren't using them, take them out!
Floating toys, balls, noodles, chairs...anything that you use in the pool..if you aren't using it, take it out of the pool. One 3 yo drowned because no one saw that he was under a floating object and therefore no one could see that he needed help until it was too late.
3) time out - let kids rest every hour, even if they are good swimmers...
15 minutes out of the pool is good...yes, they can keep their feet in...
4) watch for blue lips...and make them get out!
again, 15 minutes out of the pool, wrapped up, in the sun, something to eat.
5) NO DIVING in less than 6 feet
if you need explaining for this one, you shouldn't be supervising kids in the pool
6) NO RUNNING!!!
if I had a dollar for everytime I said this one! kids can slip and fall into the water, hitting the ground and side of the pool on the way in. Not good
7) Don't trust floaties to do the trick
or inner-tubes or even those bathing suits that have the built in floats...if your children can't swim, refer to safety tip #1
you'll have more fun if you stay safe...enjoy!!!