OK now that the mod's are probably after me, what do you tell your children about body parts, sex, babies, birth?
~ body parts are all named what they really are called: penises = penises, vulvas are vulvas, and i just introduced the idea of a vagina, which he didn't really understand (i was trying to explain how the baby comes out during birth).
he's seen photos of women giving birth, and my SO and myself are always walking around naked so nudity isn't really an issue ~ all the parts are just there to see, nothing taboo.
we've talked about how babies are made, but not the actual intercourse aspect, since he hasn't seemed too concerned about it yet ~ but he knows that a sperm from a man and an egg from a woman combine and grow into a baby. i have this book called Beginning Life that goes through an entire pregnancy from conception to just past birth ~ it's awesome. i love it to pieces and michael adores seeing all the baby-in-womb pictures.
we haven't really discussed sex yet. when he was about 2, he walked in on his daddy and me while we were having "special mommy-daddy-time."
we were mostly covered up by the blankets but had to explain why we reacted so strongly when he walked in, and that sometimes grownups have special time together... he seemed to accept the explanation and went back to bed.
if it happened now i know i'd probably have to be more specific... so we've been much more careful. :LOL
as for poopies and pee-pees ~ there are our terms. i tried adopting "grunts" and "making water" but for some reason he just preferred poopies and pee-pees.
we're now working on the concept of what's private and what's ok to talk about with others...
* it's ok to tell us you have to go potty
* it's NOT ok to ask people how big their poopies are.
* it's ok to play with your penis ~ in private, in the bath, or in your room
* it's NOT ok to play with your penis around other people, or try to play with other people's penises, or to ask people about their penises, or talk to people about their penises.
* it's ok to observe / admire / play with your OWN nipples, in private...
* it's NOT ok to follow mommy around and try to pinch her nipples.
* it's ok to talk about mommy's breastpump and mama cloth at home, with mommy and daddy ~
* it's NOT ok to pull strangers aside at the store and tell them about mommy's breastpump and mama cloth!
and so on. it seems like there's always a new boundary to define.How old are they?
he'll be 4 in a month.