she talks all the time!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd is four and she talks all the time! It drives me mad having to respond every few seconds (and if I don't respond she repeats the same sentence until I do) sometimes I manage to tell her firmly that I'm busy now and she's not to talk to me but she starts crying "I love talking! I want to talk!" and I feel pretty mean!!
It's a temperamental difference, I like silence, and to hear my own thoughts. It really is exhausting for me to vocalise all the time! She's talking all the time as i write this....
anyone feel the same?!
#2 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 10:14 AM

I have a 4.5 yo niece who sounds just like yours!
She is just like her mother.
I am just like you, I need silence too!
#3 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wikidawitch - particularly before coffee, eh?
#4 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 02:22 PM

Sarenka, sorry to be laughing but I can so relate. And mine's only 2-I can imagine what she will be like at your daughter's age!

It's hard to argue with her when she says she loves talking, isn't it?
#5 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 02:44 PM

My kids are the same way! My son's preschool teacher told me a great thing. When all the kids are sitting in circle if one child is talking and another one interrupts she tells him/her "Please hold your thought and I will talk to you about it in a minute" It works...I've started using it at home and they don't question it. At first they would say "is it a minute yet" every two seconds but now they will just wait until I say "ok what is your thought" They are 5 and 4.
Sometimes I feel bad for asking them to stay quiet for a few minutes, especially when baby is sleeping, but that is the only quiet time we get in the house!
I'm hoping the incessant rambling phase will be over soon, it is quite trying.
#6 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 05:16 PM

My four year old ds also talks all the time too, at a very loud volume usually. It does often drive me crazy. I wish that he would just talk to himself sometimes, but he usually has to be talking to me. We are also going through the "whys" again. He will ask me "why" to questions that there are no way I would know the answer to. Not complex questions, just simple questions that I couldn't possibly know such as "Will Alex be home when we get home?" Me --"I don't know." Him -- "Just tell me, yes or no?" Me -- "I can't tell you, I simply don't know." Him -- "Why?" and it goes on and on and on.

I need earplugs...
#7 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 05:26 PM

LOL! My five-year-old daughter is exactly the same way! Once I asked her in exasperation, "do you ever get tired of talking?" She pondered for a moment, then answered, seriously, "no," before continuing on with whatever she had been talking about!

At-home mom to a teenager, an infant, and three in between!
#8 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and there I was expecting some serious advice on mindfulness or something - I am greatly relieved to find that we're all laughing in despair
Beverly, I've had the same conversation with dd, word for word and pause for pause!
Mom2three, i'll try it but I can imagine the response already.
me "hold your thought...."
dd "why?"
etc etc etc
#9 of 12 Old 07-10-2002, 09:48 PM

My son never stops talking. He is 3. He's talking away right now in the bathtub in the next room all by himself. I've actually tried to introduce him to some imaginary friends just to give him someone to talk to. My friend's daughter, also 3 told him, "Ben, you just can't help yourself, you just talk talk talk and never stop long enough to be quite." I am also quite the talker, and so is his dad. Our house is very noisy. I've noticed that he will repeat the sentence over and over in the same tone and same cadence until we respond. He is often happy with us saying something like "I hear you saying that---". He also takes our faces by the chin and says "Talk to me for a little while will ya?" I think once a talker, always a talker!

He's my kid!!!
#10 of 12 Old 07-11-2002, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

That's great!
Who's is mine??! :
#11 of 12 Old 07-24-2002, 03:07 AM

I can also totally relate. My 4.5yo dd not only talks, but sings all day. And it's that thing where she only knows one or two lines, and sings them over and over ad nauseam.

I was just reading a mindfulness post, and I wanted to respond (but didn't) that if I was mindful of my child all day, I'd have a headache after an hour. And that's not even mentioning my 2yo ds who loves to tell me things, but isn't always very clear, so it takes some brain strain to satisfy him that I know what he's talking about.

I think they're just sorting stuff out in their heads, and it just comes out their mouths!
#12 of 12 Old 07-24-2002, 05:29 PM

I can relate.... 3x over. My daughters are almost 7, 5.5 and 4. There are times all 3 are right in my face - like 3 or 4 inches from it - and ALL talking at once. What scares me though is I can keep up with it most of the time & can carry on 3 conversations at once.

This drives me crazy though. They literally talk day and night. All 3 talk in their sleep - they all sleep in the same room & actually have CONVERSATIONS in their sleep. There is no escape!

I'm told that it will lessen as they grow up.... I'm holding onto that hope!!!!!!!!

I'm editting this to add.....

I have really been working on it with the girls to not all talk at once & take turns... it's working so at least that bit of insanity is lessening.

I've also been working with all 3, but mostly my 4 year old, to just say things ONCE! They tend to repeat themselves a minimum of 3 times while talking to me!

Okay, I'm done... again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page