Birthday traditions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-13-2002, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone! I wasn't sure where to post this....

As my son approaches his first birthday, I'm trying to think of a ritual or tradition to start that I can do each year to honor his special day. Any ideas?

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 07-13-2002, 05:12 PM

My mom always let us pick the dinner menu on our birthday, which I plan to continue. However, I don't know how well that would work for a one-year-old. Happy birthday to him and enjoy!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#3 of 9 Old 07-13-2002, 06:52 PM

Hi VM!

Here is a similar thread
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=16517

I am starting to think about what I want to do for dd's bday. I think my first rule will be not to evr throw a party for her until she asks for it and can help plan what she wants. I want to review her birth story and photos from the past year. My mom bought a really cute growth chart and I think we'll hang that up for a couple of weeks around her birthday. I think we'll have a dinner and invite special adults in her life.
#4 of 9 Old 07-13-2002, 09:13 PM

- Mark the growth chart
- Take a special photo (in the same place each year, if possible, such as by the same tree)
- Get out his/her baby book and look at it together
- I recently went to one of those paint your own pottery places and made a birthday plate. I painted it very bright and cheerful, and my name, my husband's, and the names of my two children are painted around the rim. When it's my birthday, for example, it'll be my plate at dinner, with my name at the top, facing me.
#5 of 9 Old 07-14-2002, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas, mamas! I think I'll do the growth chart thing and the birthday plate sounds fun too!

p.s. see you tomorrow grumo!
#6 of 9 Old 07-14-2002, 03:47 AM

A couple of ideas...

write a letter to him about his year, keep the letters a secret and give them to him when he's an adult or becomes a parent

or

take a picture of him in one of his dad's shirts, and continue to photograph him in that same shirt every year (noticing how he begins to grow into the shirt)
fadeinto1 likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 07-16-2002, 02:21 PM

On DD's 1st Bday we planted a pear tree with her placenta under it. We will plant something every year on her birthday. We had a party with her playgroup friends, and she got to have some very sweet cake. We also just made the day extra child centered and celebratory, tied balloons and streamers to her high chair, etc.
#8 of 9 Old 07-16-2002, 02:26 PM

we got this heart shaped cement stepping stone kit thingy, and the idea is she'll put her footprint in it, and then we'll do a new one every year and have a pathway of her growing footprints. it was from a garden store, pretty cheap too. I'll lwet you know how it works!
#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2002, 07:04 PM

Where'd you get the thingy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page