Playgroup Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2002, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We attend a mommy and me playgroup every wednesday. They have moms night out on Saturday evenings. I have never been to one, and just wondered if any of you have done this? How old are your kiddies if you do go? And if you don't go, why? And how old are you kiddos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2002, 02:17 PM

We have been attending a playgroup of about 10-12 moms and babes weekly since DS was born. When the babes were around a year old (they're 18 months now), we started a Mom's night out once a month. I LOVE it...we all love the chance to connect without a babe attached to us....it has made our group much more intimate. Don't know how I'd do it without the support of that "playgroup".

Once a week sounds like a lot. I don't think I could handle that much of a committment...but once a month works out perfect for us. We're still trying to figure out the logistics...whether it's better to go out to dinner, then get home and put kiddos to bed, or to go out after they're asleep (seems to work the best). If you're comfortable leaving your little one (how old?)...give it a shot. It's amazing what a little adult conversation will do for you!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:27 PM

I go to Moms Night Out once a month with my Moms Club - I LOVE it! We usually have dinner from about 7-9pm. It is only two hours and I KNOW that my dh is more then capable of handling the kids while I'm gone (even the baby!) espically sine bith his parents are usually there when I get home LOL! Heck , last month I came home at 9:30 and both kids were asleep in bed!!! (of course the baby woke up 15 minutes later)

Grace

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Old 07-30-2002, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Maybe it is only once a month(the moms night out). I have never gone so I an't remember when it is.

Kailey is 17 months old, and I guess part of me doesn't want to go(I am such a dork around groups of people) and the other part feels guilty about wanting to go. I think it would be fun to get involved with other adults -baby, but would anyone even like me? Sometimes I am so out there. I have a dry sense of humore and my interests are not at all what others seem to be. I'm such a scaredy pants :

I know Mark takes super care of Kailey when I go to the store or when I get my alone time on the weekends, ,so that isn't a concern at all. Just my nerves I guess.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:14 PM

It is always hard to just throw yourself at the mercy of a new group of people - but you'll never know how it will turn out until you try. I know that I do not necessarly 'love' all the people that I go to Moms Night Out with - but I do love getting out. It makes me more sane LOL!

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Old 07-30-2002, 09:23 PM

As the resident wierdo mom in my playgroups, I can say-go for it! Since you already know these ladies, it shouldn't be so much of a stretch. As the kids get older, and the groups fizzle out, you will maybe know the moms of your kids friends better, and heck, even find a few of your own. Even though I don't agree with all of them and their opinions, I still find the comraderie nice.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:48 PM

we quit going because i didn't get along with the mothers.

i am putting him in another one in late august.

i hope the mothers are more mature.

sad, when a group of adults can't get along, even for the sake of their kids.

ps. he was about 9 months when we quit attending.

he will be 13months when we start our new playgroup/music-class.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:44 AM

The girls in my first childbirth class formed a playgroup - we've been getting together every 2-4 weeks since my 3 year old was 6 months. (I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years!)

There's only 5 of us, but there's 9 kids now, soon to be 10 (everyone has 2 except one girl and I'm about to have 3). We started out meeting at each other's homes, but since we added seconds and since the older kids turned 2, we've been meeting out at play areas and parks and places like Chuck E Cheese.

We've only ever gone out moms-only twice. I went the first time when we all only had 1 (and I think the kids were around 9 months?). The second time is scheduled for this month. My kids are currently 3 years and 1 1/2 so I'm fine w/leaving them w/dad. He'll probably try to con his mom into helping, we'll see...

I wish we did it a bit more often. I probably wouldn't hang out w/these moms other than b/c of our playgroup, but when I just wrote down we've known each other for 2 1/2 years, I couldn't believe it. I hardly know these ladies at all! They definitely aren't AP: only one other BFs, one of them uses daycare (she doesn't need it), one is a total flake and her kid is way obnoxious (I'll never have another playgroup in my house EVER b/c of the way he behaves (not his fault - HERS!)). BUT it's so nice just to have a playgroup, I'm a SAHM and don't have relatives w/small kids, so this is my kids only socialization other than random kids at parks and play areas.

I wish we could get out just us every 3 months or so. Like I said, I probably would never hang out w/them except outside of our playgroup, but it's nice to have moms to relate to on any level and I think if we got together more outside of playgroup, we'd know each other better and I might feel more like they were friends than "the playgroup moms."

Well, this is long, but all my 2 cents are...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

User Tag List