Mommas with biracial/interracial children - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 07-09-2005, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any children's picture books that feature mixed families?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#92 of 106 Old 08-02-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Does anyone know of any children's picture books that feature mixed families?
Not sure, but btw bell hooks just came out with a beautiful new book called "Skin Again."
#93 of 106 Old 08-02-2005, 11:06 AM

Hey everyone! I belong here too! Three of my four kiddos are biracial...I am a white American and stbxh is East African. There are not a lot of biracial kids where we live, but I really haven't encountered any negativity...but they are still very young, so we will see as they grow.
As far as the hair products, I found a line of products called "Just For Me" that works well with my kiddos. I use the detangling spray and the conditioner on them.
Blessings.
#94 of 106 Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 PM

My girlfriend locked my dd's hair and taught me how to maintain it. It really suits her and it seems to go over well with everyone.
#95 of 106 Old 08-03-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

My hubby and I are trying to figure out the rest of our lives!! ha ha
Anyhoo, how do you all feel about where you are living, in regards to the mix of cultures. We are really thinking about moving. Would you recommend your hometown to a black/white interracial family?
#96 of 106 Old 08-04-2005, 10:14 AM

catherine_hogans, yes I would recommend my town for an interracial family. It is a college town with 25,000 students. It brings a lot of diversity to an otherwise homogeneous area. I think any town with a large university would probably present a similar relaxed and accepting environment.
#97 of 106 Old 08-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Banned

Hi!

I'm Hope, white, hubby's black, and little Amelia is 13 months old, breastfed, co-sleeps, and is cloth diapered. Can't find too many minds like me either =)
#98 of 106 Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 PM

I wanted to connect with other moms of biracial kids so I started a meetup group for moms of biracial kids in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. If you are a mom of a biracial or transracially adopted kid in the area and would like to join visit our website at www.multiculturalmoms.com.

Lou
#99 of 106 Old 08-29-2006, 08:12 PM

For those of you asking, I do have a group for moms that have biracial kids. If you would like to join I would love to have ya join. A few of you have asked for the website, here it is. Free, private locked group, safe and for women only.
http://groups.msn.com/Biracialkidsandmommies
#100 of 106 Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddesshope
Hi!

I'm Hope, white, hubby's black, and little Amelia is 13 months old, breastfed, co-sleeps, and is cloth diapered. Can't find too many minds like me either =)
You just found one!! My dd (cauc/AA/a little NA, but who's keeping track..) is 21 months now and fully potty-trained; I am convinced it is largely due to the fact that I had her in cloth, and became fully aware of her "pee pee" schedule ... It is amazing how many people laughed at me for using cloth. The same people don't believe she is already resposible for her bodily functions! Like I am somehow making it all up :

Well I just joined, and I need to put in my $.02 about the hair issue... I agree that trying to make any COC's hair fit into caucasian societal norms sends completely the wrong message... That said, I will share how I keep my dd's hair in control (i.e. tangle free, so I can run my fingers thru it when we are watching Sesame Street, and able for me to pull it into a ponytail to get it out of her face):

When washing, I use Suave detangling kids stuff (nothin' special) and rinse it, then use the same kind of conditioner (it came in a value pack - what can I say?? I let the conditioner set for a while, then I use a wide toothed comb (ALWAYS USE A WIDE TOOTHED COMB) to go thru it gently while it is wet. This helps the conditioner rinse out easier, and it seems to stay "combed out" after the bath well. After baths, I use a leave-in conditioner (we're going with Garnier Fructis right now b/c it's what I use, and it smells so YUMMY!!!)
So there you go... I don't want to ramble too much, this being my first post and all.... Let me know if this helps
#101 of 106 Old 09-13-2006, 04:36 PM

I'm glad to see this thread come back to life :-) I'm a white woman, married to a black man, expecting our first child. It's good to know there are others here that I can hopefully learn from.
#102 of 106 Old 09-14-2006, 03:02 PM

I'm also glad to see this thread revived, I'm a light skinned latina and my SO is a dark skinned latino, often mistaken for AA, and we're expecting our first in March. My mother has a little bit of an issue with this but both the SO and I are happy.

I definitely look forward to sharing your experiences
#103 of 106 Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 AM

Seems like this thread tried to revive, but died after all.. is there a separate space for all the moms here? Still raising DD (now 39 months, and the smartest child I know)
I think people question whether she is mine sometimes... We have a son now also, who is 4 months, and he is lighter in the skin (more like me), so no one has asked me "where I got him from" YES, I DO NOT MAKE THIS UP... and we have since moved to Tennessee, where race is, I guess, a big deal. I was born and raised in AZ, and race has never been an issue to me.. Until now. I think most people out here would be SO surprised to learn how much of a NON-issue it is to me.. DH "reminds" me sometimes of others' perceptions, because I am so clueless.

Here I go rambling again.. but what I really want to know is, ARE YOU GONNA GO MY WAY??? (Jaime is doing her Lenny Kravitz impression)

OK, OK, I couldn't resist... seriously, would someone join this post again? or tell me where everyone went??? OK cool

Jaime
#104 of 106 Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 AM

Just dropping by to say hello. I have one biracial daughter (bk/wt). I am black and my husband is white. We live in the south.
#105 of 106 Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Hello, not sure if you are aware but we do now have a multicultural forum, that you might want to check out.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#106 of 106 Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Hi everyone my mom is German and my dad is African American. Everyone thinks I am Latina because of my LOng naturallly curly hair. My husband is Columbian and Jamaican. All Three of our kids look extremely different!!! LOLOL My oldest looks Belizian, carmel color skin and kinky hair my middle daughter looks mixed (Black/White) with Green eyes and Red hair and fair skin and last but not lest, my youngest...she looks Dominican brown skin with silky black curly curly hair(not kinky). People always ask if my kids have the same dad and I get so furious. They are beautiful and very intelligent.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page