Does anyone else not mind if their young child watches TV? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nevermind!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#92 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rainbowmama, am I allowed to post in this thread or not? No kids yet. Hedging towards no TV, but I'm still considering my philosophy/practice.
#93 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 12:24 PM

You know, it really irritates me that this thread title clearly states :

DOES ANYONE ELSE NOT MIND IF THEIR YOUNG CHILD WATCHES TV ?

And yet we have now got a whole pro/con arguement going on. I respect the fact that there are people who choose not to own or use a television. Because that is your right as an adult and your choice for your family.

I would NEVER go to a thread devoted to those who chose NOT to watch tv and begin telling them about how much we liked tv so they should start watching it..yet I see that in reverse here.

Please give those of us who allow our children to watch tv some credit for thinking this through. I know about the research, I know about the books, I KNOW about all the thoguhts and theories and discussions regarding it.

However, it is MY choice in MY family home that we have a tv, and that it is ok with me for my kids to watch it. Why is that so hard for people to resepct?

So why is it that greaseball cannot open this thread fr htose of us who Do allow our kids to see tv with out those who do not coming and turning it into a debate of sorts?

Perhaps I take it too personally, but after a bit it all sounds very arrogant to me. You choose not to, good for you. I am glad it works for you. I allow certain things into my house. Please respect that. Thats really all those of us who aloow tv in our homes ask from those of you who do not..Please resepct that it is our informed family choice. Let it be at that. If you want to go and create a new thread about the risks of watching tv, or why you choose not to have own or allow your kids not to watch it..then go right ahead. Actually, I think you know that THOSE threads are in the majority here. I would htink that alone would please you?

I just wish that those of us who do allow TV could have ONE thread that was just left be with all the arguments about how awful it is and how we are damaging our kids and we will be raising these ADHD kids who will have no creativity or imagination or ability to freely think things through because we allowed them to watch Sesame street when they were 3 years old.

Please just let us have ONE thread with out this? Please?
#94 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelemiller
It just bothers me that so many of the arguments against TV are pseudo-scientific, yet pretend to be hard science. As a social scientist myself, I am very bothered by irresponsible "statistics" and catchy phrases that misrepresent the realities of the studies, populations, limitations, etc. "TV Causes ADHD!" "TV Made My Child A Murderer!" sheesh.

Edited to add: i mean arguments in the media, not arguments on here.
Hey Michelle,

My husband is a social scientist too (professor of sociology). I'm an academic as well, I study art history and media. I'm actually researching the effects of TV watching right now. You are so right about the pseudo-science and how so much is mis-represented in the media.

Mary Beth
#95 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KS
Back to Harry Potter....

I really love the HP books.

There is a whole generation of kids growing up watching these movies who are too young to read the books! I know many kids who are 5 and 6 who have seen the movies.
Hi Linda,

I actually read the books to my kids at that age Maybe they didn't get all of it but they loved hearing it.

The audio versions are supposed to be excellent. That's another way to expose kids who can't or won't read.

Books vs. Movies is another subject though. I refuse to watch the new "Vanity Fair" because I have read the book (I'm rereading it now) and I've heard from reviewers that the director changed a lot of things. I may watch it someday but I know it'll drive me nuts and I'll be silently fuming "That's not what happened!" LOL
#96 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 PM

mamawanabe- sorry if I came across rude it was not intended for anyone in particular, that is why I erased my post!

anyway I was just trying to say this isn't a debate thread but I realized I came off snarky.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#97 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
mamawanabe- sorry if I came across rude it was not intended for anyone in particular, that is why I erased my post!

anyway I was just trying to say this isn't a debate thread but I realized I came off snarky.
S'ok , I'm just being fussy. I actually may need to take a MDC break cause I seem to be getting too frustrated in threads. I go through periods when I love this place and when I am super annoyed by this place. Its a cycle and prob has little to do with posters and more to do with my own ambivalence about the stange (degraded/glorified) place of "mothering" and "mother" in our culture as well as my own unholy focus/planning on the kind of "mother" I want to be.
#98 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBethMoore
Hey Michelle,

My husband is a social scientist too (professor of sociology). I'm an academic as well, I study art history and media. I'm actually researching the effects of TV watching right now. You are so right about the pseudo-science and how so much is mis-represented in the media.

Mary Beth
I would be so interested in hearing what you have found so far (as an "on-the-fence" person myself).
#99 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 04:05 PM

I let my children watch TV. I do limit the time and teh shows. They don't see any"prime timeTV" at all.
#100 of 103 Old 11-12-2004, 04:14 PM

One of my son's fave movies when he was 8 ish was Jurassic Park. It never bothered him. I asked him if the scenes of the dinos in attack mode were scary, and he said not at all. He knew they were robotic or computer special fx (totally up his alley at the time) and that it was all make believe. Worked for me

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#101 of 103 Old 11-13-2004, 10:47 PM

Back to the original question.....

My kids have watched some TV pretty much every week of their lives, though not every day. There were times when they watched WAY too much tv (such as when we moved). They are now 6 and 8 and they have great imaginations, entertain themselves well, are well behaved, and don't have ADD. They love their weekly trip to the library and they love their new Shrek 2 DVD.

Watching some TV has not hurt my kids in any observable way. They have learned a ton from Zooboomafu (sp?) and Liberty Kids. Currently, their favorite show is Zoom.

I think that GD has far more to do with a child's behavoir than tv/no tv.

When they were tots I was pretty selective about what they were allowed to watch and we still avoid shows with commercials aimed at kids.
#102 of 103 Old 11-14-2004, 08:49 AM

Chill out Bec! I don't know you and haven't judged you in any way. There is no debate going on ... I like the box myself and let my kids watch blues clues. What's the "Ugh.." for? No big deal. Live and let live. (And you were screaming!!)

With love from starlite.
#103 of 103 Old 11-14-2004, 10:44 PM

We have a no restrictions TV household. The TV isn't on that much, the kids have way more fun playing than they do watching TV. I never deny them the choice to watch it if they choose to. Somedays the TV doesn't go on, other days it is a big TV day...don't we all have days that all we want to do is curl up on the couch and do nothing?

For the record I lived 4 years with no TV (kids too), so this is after seeing both sides of the fence for extended times.

If it somehows turns into some weird addiction problem, we will deal with it as it comes. But right now there is absolutely no TV abuse going on.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page