public diaper changing issue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2004, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD and I went into a toy store yesterday. Not a typical mainstream toy store. Not exactly Waldorf stuff, but not Fisher-Price either, KWIM? It's in a cute storefront in a cute, old, cobble-stoned section of the small city near us.

I had decided I would let DD pick out one inexpensive toy. (She is 2.) While we were walking around, she pooped. (I, uh, smelled it.) I hate changing her in public bathrooms, so I usually do it in the car. But the car was parked pretty far away.

So I asked the clerk, "Excuse me, but do you have a public bathroom?" (It was a very small store, and I hadn't noticed a bathroom, so I thought they might not have one for the public.)

She was 20-something and seemed really sweet. She said, "Yes, right in the back," and pointed me in the right direction.

For some stupid reason, I quietly said, "Oh good, because I need to change her diaper."

She replied in a sarcastically sweet voice, "Oh, just take it with you."

At first I didn't know what she meant by that, so I just smiled and headed for the bathroom. There was no changing table, but the floor was very clean. So I lay down my traveling changing pad on the floor, put DD on it, and changed her. It dawned on me that the clerk had meant to take the dirty diaper with me rather than put it in their trash can.

I felt, well, indignant. Like, what, this poopy diaper, which I will make into a tight package to minimize odor, is too disgusting for your trash? Do you not change the trash very often?

I was tempted to just throw the diaper into the trash anyway, as my diaper bag is quite small. But I thought, no, I'll do as I was told, but I won't buy a damn thing from this store. So that's what I did. We left immediately.

Then I thought, am I being silly? Is it a big deal? If I were using cloth diapers out in public, I'd have to take it with me.

But the point is, most people in our society use disposable diapers. And I think it's ridiculous and ironic for a toy store to not only not provide a changing table but to tell parents to take the dirty diaper with them.

I thought about calling and talking to the manager about this to ask if it was store policy or something. And to tell her she is crazy to expect parents to not be able to change diapers in her store. But I wanted other opinions first.

WWYD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 04:52 PM

(my non-professional opinion)

If this was Toys r Us or a similar large, chain store with a large bathroom with a changing table, etc., I wouldn’t see the big deal with throwing it in the trash. When I babysat outside the home, I always took little bags with me to put poppy diapers in and took it with me. Maybe that was crazy?

This sounds like a non-chain, neighborhood, privately owned store. If that is the case, what you get as far as amenities, and convinces will be a toss-up. A very small bathroom with a poppy diaper will just stink up the place. You are actually supposed to put the poop down the toilet, but I don’t know anyone who does that. I would if I CD though.

Its not a law that they have to provide you with a changing table, but mabe a suggestion to the manager about it would be good though. I for one am not physicially comfortable with changing diapers on the floor (bad back).
Old 11-09-2004, 04:54 PM

I always dump the poo in the toilet, whether I using cloth or sposie, so it shouldn't matter. However, I do this it's really lame that a toy store doesn't have a changing table and I think it was kind of lame of the girl to tell you to take it with you. I would call the store manager and at least complain that there's no changing table...that's ridiculous.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysmomjess
I always dump the poo in the toilet, whether I using cloth or sposie, so it shouldn't matter. However, I do this it's really lame that a toy store doesn't have a changing table and I think it was kind of lame of the girl to tell you to take it with you. I would call the store manager and at least complain that there's no changing table...that's ridiculous.
I stand corrected! Good for you for dumping poo in the toilet!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasher
Its not a law that they have to provide you with a changing table, but mabe a suggestion to the manager about it would be good though. I for one am not physicially comfortable with changing diapers on the floor (bad back).
carlasher, I know it's not a LAW. I don't expect a LAW about it.

But from a social and business standpoint: I thought the cashier's remark was rude, and I thought the lack of changing table was inconvenient for the customers. Most of the customers are parents. Many bring their babies with them. If you want to make money in your business, you have to cater to your customers.

I don't expect all stores to have changing tables. But a toy store? Yes, I do expect them to have one, and I expect them to not tell me to take my poopy diaper out with me. That's the kind of comment I'd expect in a snooty restaurant where kids shouldn't be in the first place.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus
carlasher, I know it's not a LAW. I don't expect a LAW about it.

But from a social and business standpoint: I thought the cashier's remark was rude, and I thought the lack of changing table was inconvenient for the customers. Most of the customers are parents. Many bring their babies with them. If you want to make money in your business, you have to cater to your customers.

I don't expect all stores to have changing tables. But a toy store? Yes, I do expect them to have one, and I expect them to not tell me to take my poopy diaper out with me. That's the kind of comment I'd expect in a snooty restaurant where kids shouldn't be in the first place.
That is why I said the mananger should be notified of this. Maybe he/she is totally clueless and no one has never complained before. I probably wouldnt be pissed at the cashier (but I didnt here her tone either), but pissed at the fact I have to break my back on the floor.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected! Good for you for dumping poo in the toilet!
Habit...we do it at home with sposies (as well as cloth) or the diaper pail stinks too much after just a few days. And we don't use enough sposies at home to chnage the liner more than once a week. Ugh.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:16 PM

Even when I used sposies, I always carried a plastic bag with me to take dirties home, whether I was visiting friends or a public place. We have a diaper genie at home to contain the odors, and typically public places don't have that. I guess I wouldn't be taken aback by what she said at all - it's something I kind of expect people to do, and I'm surprised when they don't.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:23 PM

I'm not shocked in a small private store that they didn't have a changing table, actually I'm pretty shocked that they had a bathroom you could use! A lot of small stores don't even provide public-use bathrooms. I do think the "take it with you" comment was a bit odd though....

But honestly I'd probably be so happy that a small store like that had a bathroom that I can change the baby that I wouldn't even think twice. Then again I use cloth though so I'd be taking it with my regardless.

I see your point about it being a toy store and therefore it would be nice if they had some sort of changing station though - I think calling the owner and just making the recommendation would be a nice idea.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
If you want to make money in your business, you have to cater to your customers.
As a customer, I shouldn't have to smell poop when I go into a store. And it doesn't matter how tightly the diaper is wrapped up...it smells! When I used sposies at home, I never kept them in the house. They went straight into the outside trash. Even those diaper genies didn't help with odors. (And I didn't dump the poop in the toilet! If I was going to do that, I would just use cloth! Which I do now...)

Even the pee diapers reek.

It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to just take the diaper with you and find a dumpster outside.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:18 PM

Maybe you could call the manager and suggest that they provide small plastic bags for people to put the dipes in before they throw they away. A simple sign in the bathroom could ask people to use them. They sell them in most baby depts. near the diapers. They are great for transporting cloth dipes in.

We have the same prob at church. If someone throws away a poopie diper in the trash it gets foul. It sucks because our mother's lounge is attached to the women's bathroom, and the smell tends to linger. Those plastic bags are a lifesaver!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:33 PM

Personally, I wouldn't have taken it with me. It's a bathroom. Are adults not allowed to take a crap in there?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Adults aren't allowed to crap in the trash can.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysmomjess
ditto. i use cloth so poop always goes in the toilet, but back when i used spodies poop went in the toilet too.

agree that no changing table in a toy store is stupid. that would bug me more.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:31 PM

I guess I'm a little confused, if it was a small family owned resturant with no changing table would they have asked you to take the poopy dipaer with you? probably not, were they not going to change the trash at all. I CD but it still seems strange.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
As a customer, I shouldn't have to smell poop when I go into a store. And it doesn't matter how tightly the diaper is wrapped up...it smells! When I used sposies at home, I never kept them in the house. They went straight into the outside trash. Even those diaper genies didn't help with odors. (And I didn't dump the poop in the toilet! If I was going to do that, I would just use cloth! Which I do now...)

Even the pee diapers reek.

It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to just take the diaper with you and find a dumpster outside.
Greaseball, this is one time I completely agree with you. I always take Jordan's diapers with me, neatly wrapped in a baggie, and dispose of them outside. Dirty diapers reek, and there is no reason to stink up a public restroom for the rest of the patrons.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca
I guess I'm a little confused, if it was a small family owned resturant with no changing table would they have asked you to take the poopy dipaer with you? probably not, were they not going to change the trash at all. I CD but it still seems strange.
Hopefully, if it were a small family owned restaurant, a parent would not leave a dirty diaper in the trash thereby bombing out the restroom for the rest of the customers.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 PM

I agree that the clerk could have used better customer service skills when talking to you....... but I wouldn't leave a diaper there, anyway.
Although I haven't had to use disposables in public for quite some time (3 years ago), I always took my dirty diapers home with me...... unless I was somewhere that actually provided a specific diaper pail. (My local mall has this in their family bathroom.) Even when we visited friends or family overnight, I took a big bag of dirty diapers home with us (well sealed!!). I don't like it when people who visit our house leave the dirty diapers in our trash, so I wouldn't want to do it to someone else........ even in public.

JMHO.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:12 PM

I think it's common courtesy not to leave a stinky diaper in a small boutique type place. I wouldn't think I had the right to do so although I might be a little annoyed at someone reminding me not to leave one there. The smaller type stores aren't usually very busy so they don't have lots of employees to clean up after customers. I never leave dirty diapers in our favorite toy store that we go to. I just don't feel right doing it. I usually use cloth diapers though so maybe I just got in the habit of not leaving diapers places.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
Adults aren't allowed to crap in the trash can.
True. Though I'm not sure it's ever gotten to the point of whether or not it was "allowed" came into question. :LOL

However, I assume it's the smell that is the issue. Not the actual shit.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM

I think the idea of a note in the bathroom would be much better than being told by the employee. I also think that your child's diaper is your responsibility...if it's going to smell it will make the store smell. They have a responsibilty to their other customers too. I hate walking into a bathroom where someone has left a dirty diaper. I'm disappointed to hear that a toy store didn't have a changing table!! This is a major pet peeve of mine. You'd think any store that sold children's merchandise would for sure have a changing table. IME there are only two stores who get high marks for baby friendliness. Nordstrom always has a separate family room for nursing or diaper changing. Ikea has a small room for that as well. You should be able to walk into any Gymboree, Baby Gap or whatever and know you'll be able to comfortably take care of your child. A cozy chair somewhere in the store for feeding your baby is nice too!

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 PM

I'm sorry...how do we know that the cause of stinky public restrooms is poopy diapers?

Personally, I never go thru the trash to find out, I just assume someone who doesn't use diapers took a dump.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 PM

Just reading this thread made me have to poop.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka Falls
I'm sorry...how do we know that the cause of stinky public restrooms is poopy diapers?

Personally, I never go thru the trash to find out, I just assume someone who doesn't use diapers took a dump.
I always go through the trash to find out :LOL Usually if there is a stench it's coming from the trash can right next to the changing table (where I happen to be changing my baby). And...I think baby/toddler poop smells different than adult poop. I can't believe I just said that... I've thought waaaay too much about this...

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 PM

:LOL Okaaaaayyyyy.....

I'm seriously grossed out by the thought of adults rifling thru the public restroom trashcans. :LOL

and lunchbox...tmi
Old 11-09-2004, 10:09 PM

I think that what I would've done is put the poop in the toilet (as I always always did whenever I used disposables) and then take the diaper with me and throw it out in a public trashcan somewhere after leaving the store.

In my opinion, it's entirely reasonable for the store to not want your shitty diaper in their tiny bathroom. It was nice of you to let them use it in the first place...but what kind of dill hole would refuse you? I dont know. But I've been refused in a store when my 3 year old was about to pee her pants and it made me leave in a huff. That was also a kids store.

It was definitely strange of the woman to tell you to take it with you. If it's a concern of hers, she really ought to put a sign up in her bathroom. American culture kind of frowns on face-to-face comands on how to handle one's excrement.

A diaper in the trash that hasnt been properly disposed of is NAST-AY. I don't blame her one bit for being particular about it. But this is something we all go through as new moms. Learning how to deal with dipes in public. I remember that I was quite suprised at first to learn that people expected me to bring bags and cart my disposables home with me!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:45 PM

well, it's no crime to ask. a little strange, i'd go with the note myself...

I have to stop myself from going off on a rant about human feces in the landfill rather than sewage system...I just keep thinking about the live polio viruses & all stains of disease that could be contained & isolated rather than buried in our water supply. I can understand why the small business would not want to deal with that. I DISLIKE it a lot when people leave me a big bag of their kids poop in my trash. Yuk. I don't ask em to come over again real soon.

I'm a bit against sposies anyway, I always carried my babes diapers in a nylon waterproof camp sack...never any problems.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:47 PM

Quote:
There was no changing table, but the floor was very clean. So I lay down my traveling changing pad on the floor, put DD on it, and changed her. It dawned on me that the clerk had meant to take the dirty diaper with me rather than put it in their trash can.
Chalk another vote up to "reasonable request." Honestly, it kinda ticks me off when people super double-triple wrap their diapers in plastic before throwing them away--- just what we need: more garbage In a small store, they could have limited garbage capacities, it could be an issue of only certain people being authorized to deal with "biohazards" or anything. I thought it was a pretty common request though

Old 11-09-2004, 10:57 PM

Quote:
You are actually supposed to put the poop down the toilet, but I don’t know anyone who does that. I would if I CD though.
You are supposed to toss it no matter what--and I am shocked people do not...

My old ped office did not let you just toss sposies in the trash. They gave you a zip lock bag to put it in and into a special can. The smell is a factor.

If people tossed the poop like they were supposed to (or used CDs so they had to), then this would be a moot point.

Not everyone who uses sposies uses those bags things anyway (most people I know do not use sposies and the ones who do certainly do not buy those bags.). How would she know you are using one?????

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:59 PM

Greaseball!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

User Tag List