caught my child playing doctor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi...I walked in on my son playing doctor with the neighbors son. My son is 4 1/2 and the neighbors boy is 5 1/2. When the boy and his sister left I talked to my son about privates and what is appropriate and inappropriate. I didn't want him to feel embarrassed but I wanted him to know that this isn't always appropriate. He indicated that this only happened twice and that it started with just hands on on the underwear and then moved into actually touching of the privates. I know that this type of "play" is normal and common among his age group. The only thing that is concerning is my son told me that the 8 year old sister has touch his privates but only on top of the underwear and she told him to keep it a secret. (He didn't touch her). This bothers me.

After talking to my son alone...my husband thinks that this was all done with innocence and not malice and we should treat it this way until we are given reason to believe otherwise. He said that we should address this situation with the kids telling them this type of play is not allowed in our house and that we don't want to see or hear about it again. And that if they are curious about their bodies they should talk to an adult.

I don't know if I should inform the parents or just treat it like my husband says. My son isn't showing any behaviors that I would be concerned about. Am I making this out to be something other then childrens curiosity?

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated~

j

User Tag List