Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes I would.
#182 of 184 Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I would too.

I used to live with a friend who has an HIV+ daughter. This friend also has other HIV- children of her own plus numerous foster children in her care. Honestly, we never really worried about transmitting HIV to any of the other children- the risk is just so miniscule. After all, toddlers aren't likely to be sharing needles or having sex. The main concern was protecting the child with HIV from picking up illnesses from other kids.

That being said, I don't think anyone here is speaking out of hatred. Definately fear and maybe a poor choice of wording, but certainly not hatred.
#183 of 184 Old 02-17-2005, 12:27 PM

Too funny. As somebody that said "of course" I didn't expect to called PC. I mean that was my honest answer

I have to agree with other posters that I was not talking about seeking out HIV+ playmates but if the kids or I befriend a family with an HIV+ child that it would not be a factor in deciding whether or not to spend time with the family. If that makes me PC so be it....

I do think it would be weird to start seeking out kids with any specific characteristics....it reminds me of an old episode of "Mad About You" where Helen Hunt asks Paul Reisder "Do you think we have enough black friends?" and he asks "For what?"

Peace & Much Love,
BJ
Barney & Ben
#184 of 184 Old 02-17-2005, 03:19 PM

Yes I will let them play together,I will also provide care for foster children who are HIV positive.If everyone learns universal precautions and teaches their children univ.prec.,
then we can let our kids enjoy each other.Because not everyone with HIV is open about it Hmmmm...wonder why. We had a friend w/HIV pos child.This was years ago before the current treatments were available.Being friends with this child was a priveledge. We just educated ourselves on how we could be good friends with him while still taking any necessary precautions. Many so called friends suddenly kept their distance from that family,not even allowing them to ride in their car.Oh my goodness,I thought awareness had increased since then.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page