What type of bc do you use??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't use anything...other than good ol condoms. What do you use? ill not use the IUD or any type of pill...so that seriously decreases my choices.

I was just wondering what type you use and if you like it or not!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 05:18 PM

Just condoms.

I don't like the fact that the pill and IUD's prevent an already fertilized egg from attaching. That bothers me a lot and unless they come up with something else that doesn't do that, we will only use condoms. Of course we weren't using anything when our daughter was conceived, we were just counting days, and we figured whatever happens happens.

I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say.

aprilbaby and Katie (a very wonderful surprise)
#3 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yup...we were counting days too and doing mucus levels....unfortunately we have NO self-control!! So, now we have Tracy...but our self-control is much better now that we have a reminder

#4 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 07:25 PM

We just use condoms.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#5 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 07:39 PM

NFP

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#6 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 07:59 PM

VASECTOMY!~
Do I like it? Heck yeah! Hubby had it done on a Friday morning, went back to work Monday. No musss, no fuss, no preparation, no worries. I highly recommend it
#7 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 08:31 PM

condoms. I tried five kinds of pills and they all gave me a breakdown.
#8 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 08:45 PM

Right now we don't use anything as we are TTC, after the baby is born I'm not sure what we'll do - probably just condoms until we're ready to TTC again.

Quote:
Originally posted by aprilbaby

I don't like the fact that the pill and IUD's prevent an already fertilized egg from attaching. That bothers me a lot and unless they come up with something else that doesn't do that, we will only use condoms.
I knew and IUD did this, but the Pill does too??? I thought the Pill prevented ovulation? Do you have more information?
#9 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 09:13 PM

There is another thread about this in the toddler forum.
#10 of 39 Old 09-25-2002, 09:21 PM

Since I registered on this site at work, I haven;t been able to post from my home computer, so I decided to see if registering with a different name would help, and it worked. At work, I am april baby, at home I am momof1baby.

I wanted to answer your question about the pill. I copied this off a website. Here it is:

There are two types of oral contraceptives: combination pills (containing estrogen and progestin) and progestin-only pills. Estrogen and progestin are hormones made in the ovaries.

Both pills are intended to prevent pregnancy, but they work in different ways:
Combination pills prevent a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs. (ovulation)
Progestin pills can also prevent ovulation, but they usually work by thickening cervical mucus. This prevents sperm from joining with an egg.

Combination pills also thicken cervical mucus, and both types of pill may also prevent fertilized eggs from implanting in the uterus (womb).

HTH!
aprilbaby
#11 of 39 Old 09-26-2002, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aprilbaby

I don't like the fact that the pill and IUD's prevent an already fertilized egg from attaching.
Actually, this is not true.
Mirena, a new IUD, contains progesterone and it actually prevents conception, not just implantation.
An internet search could turn up more info if you're interested.
I have ethical issues with BC also and plan on using Mirena after the baby is born.
#12 of 39 Old 09-26-2002, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just wanted to make sure you all are aware that condoms used alone (without a separate spermicide, and without abstaining when you're fertile) are only 86% effective. That means that if 100 couples use them for a year, 14 will get pregnant. So if you definitely do not want to conceive right now, it's best to use something else too.

I had a cervical cap for 9 years and loved it. Unlike a diaphragm, you can insert it way in advance and leave it in for a couple of days while having as much sex as you want, without adding spermicide. It's smaller than a diaphragm so less noticeable and less likely to cause urinary tract infections, and it stays in place better even if you get creative. It's hormone-free. Here's some more information.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#13 of 39 Old 09-26-2002, 09:16 PM

We use FAM (Fertility Awareness Method). Charting/timing was deeply important for us to conceive... and for the flip side, having learned all about fertility awareness has rendered us an extremely convenient, aparatus free, hormone free method of BC.

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#14 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Posted by Envirobecca:
"Just wanted to make sure you all are aware that condoms used alone (without a separate spermicide, and without abstaining when you're fertile) are only 86% effective. That means that if 100 couples use them for a year, 14 will get pregnant. So if you definitely do not want to conceive right now, it's best to use something else too."

We use condoms with spermicide. Does that count as "using something else"

#15 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 01:14 AM

Nothing right now since I just had a baby. We have been talking about what to use later. I can't use a lot of types of bc because I can't take horomones and I am allergic to latex. We have tried sheepskin condoms in the past, but dh couldn't stand the way they smell. I have heard that there are condoms made of polyurithane(sp?). Has anyone tried them and know how well they work?
#16 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With the FAM, don't you usually use it in tandem with a barrier method? I'm just thinking that the times I most want to have sex are when I am fertile, so I'd have to use a condom during that period anyway. Or I guess you could just make sure the semen goes somewhere else.
#17 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The .Planned Parenthood Website says, "There is currently no evidence, however, that condoms lubricated with nonoxynol-9 (N-9) are more effective at preventing pregnancy than other lubricated condoms." A doctor told me that the amount of spermicide on condoms is not enough to make much difference; it's best to use 100mg of N-9 in a gel, foam, capsule/suppository, or film, all of which are available in drugstores.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#18 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 02:23 PM

This has become a real pain in the neck for us. For years I was on the pill, and it worked really well. But now that I'm breastfeeding and approaching 35 years of age, I'm not comfortable with it anymore.

I asked my OB about an IUD, but since I did not experience labour (c-section) she said my cervix will be very tight and it will not be easy to put it in or remove it. And since I want another child in a couple of years she said it isn't worth the effort and possible discomfort. I wasn't too comfortable with the idea of something foreign in my baby-house either, so I was easily dissuaded.

Spermicides do not work well with our sex life since...well, let's face it - they don't taste very nice and they make your tongue numb....okay, now I'm blushing but hey - one must consider these things! So a diaphragm or other such device is not something I'd want to use. I am curious about the cervical cap though. My OB didn't mention that and I'd assumed that one still needed spermicide...I'll check out that link when I get a chance.

So...all this leaves us with the only other option - condoms. I hate them and so does DH. But I absolutely do NOT want to get pregnant for at least a year. I need to recover fully from my csection and lose some darned weight!!!

Oh, and the OB also said that b/c I'm so soon postpartum, bfing, and not had a period yet, NFP won't really work for me b/c my temps and cervical mucous will be all over the map for a while until my periods become regular again. She said I could probably rest easy for about 4 months postpartum, but that if it were her, she wouldn't rely on bfing to hold off ovulation much longer than that.

You'd think somebody could come up with something a bit better in this day and age for breastfeeding moms. Ah well, it's not like we are having that much sex these days anyways, lol!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#19 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 04:43 PM

Piglet68, if you check back in on this thread, check out Sheila Kippleys "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing" I used this approach and didn't get a postpartum period for 16 months, and was immediately able to start charting again. It really reduced the amount of time we felt we needed to use condoms.
Now we are back to FAM full time (to answer the original question!)
#20 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 04:46 PM

Well we had been abstaining for the most part since ds was born last October. I was on Depo because I'm not willing to the chance that I might get in the mood and what some, then end up pregnant again. I've been well over a year without a period and I'm loving it. So I decided that I will continue down this path and go with the homones (none of the non-hormonals will stop your period) Currently, I'm on the patch. This is my first week but things seem to be going well. Once I got passed the fact that I was worried about it coming off every time I moved, I mostly forgot about it. Hopefully, this won't cause the same problems I had while on the pill so I don't have to deal with the imcompetence that runs rampent at my dr's office every three for a depo shot
#21 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 08:42 PM

Amywillo,

Indeed, while using FAM, a barrier method should be used during your fertile period (first day of fertile cervical fluid and two and a half days past your peak day or confirmed ovulation --just in case). Because DS still awakens at night, I stopped trying to temp, just wasn't helpful at all. I chart fluid so the we use the peak day rule instead.

Because DH and I do not want anymore children we are rather vigilant about abstaining during my fertile days... I mean from uh, intercourse... there are well, other things...

Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#22 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 09:44 PM

I had a major IUD nightmare. Sometime when I can stomache it, I'll tell ya all about it, but it ended with my oB-GYN recommending that we go to the hospital to remove it.

My cervix is too short for a cervical cap, which would be my first choice.

We used to use NFP, which is how I got my infamous name, 2 miscarriages, and a sweet, beautiful, little boy.

DH wants a vasectomy, but I'm not entirely sure I'm through having children, nor am I sure about the long-term affects of vasectomy. I've heard rumors.

So right now we use a diaphragm. Well, it does the job.
:

I am definately hoping for something new.....
#23 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Madame Ovary
DH wants a vasectomy, but I'm not entirely sure I'm through having children, nor am I sure about the long-term affects of vasectomy. I've heard rumors.
What rumours? Would you care to share? I'm curious!
#24 of 39 Old 09-27-2002, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard everything from a higher risk of prostate cancer to arthritis.

I just went to a search engine and looked up vasectomy

#25 of 39 Old 03-31-2003, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I used the diaphram during the reproductive and married part of my life. I loved using it. When I put it in, it was part of my ritual for getting ready to make love. (washing and primping and perfuming!)

BTW, My DH never had a vasectomy, we had four children together, and he is dying of prostate cancer.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#26 of 39 Old 03-31-2003, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by EnviroBecca
Just wanted to make sure you all are aware that condoms used alone (without a separate spermicide, and without abstaining when you're fertile) are only 86% effective. That means that if 100 couples use them for a year, 14 will get pregnant. So if you definitely do not want to conceive right now, it's best to use something else too.
I posted this a LONG time ago.....what I think is funny is that envirobecca posted this but dh and I didn't listen. 1 month after I initially asked this question dh and I conceived our second baby...using condoms!! Unfortunately we lost her in November......

#27 of 39 Old 03-31-2003, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
After two children, my partner at work used the IUD. Then,...she found herself pregnant with twins!

She lost one twin, and delivered the other twin two weeks late.

Then her DH got snipped! and that was that!

He does not have prostate cancer (that he knows of), but he is getting a hip replaced in a few months (arthritis?). He is fifty-seven.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#28 of 39 Old 03-31-2003, 12:56 PM

We have always used NFP,but I do have a diaphram. When we are finished having kidlets dh is also getting snipped.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#29 of 39 Old 03-31-2003, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lucina3
I knew and IUD did this, but the Pill does too??? I thought the Pill prevented ovulation? Do you have more information?
the iud does not prevent a fertilized eggs from implantation. well, it would, if there was one, but it prevents fertilization, too.

what i mean is, how it works is that the iud causes a small irritation in the uterus. the irritation your body sees as an infection and sends white blood cells there to fight it. the white blood cells, which fight off foriegn things in your body, also kill sperm. so, the sperm dies at the sight of the iud, or at the cervix, long b4 it reaches the egg to fertilizes.

they used to think that the iud worked by preventing implatation of a fertilized egg, but newer research shows thats not true. HTH for anyone needing a change in BC.
i uses to have a great article written by a doctor but it is since unavaiable otherwise id post it.
#30 of 39 Old 03-31-2003, 03:14 PM

Tubal. I have been pregnant with an IUD in place. I got pregnant on the pill. I got pregnant using condoms. I got pregnant just hoping for the best. I got pregnant using combo, condoms and film. The condom broke, but we had the film. Still, I thought better not to chance it, so I took EC. Still got pregnant. So, Madame Ovary, they call me Conception Queen. I have always wished there was a fertility bank.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page