Birth Size and IQ - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2005, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just trying to be light, TiredX2, since this is obviously a dicey topic.

'High IQ's' are a curse and a gift. Knowing is not bad good and not knowing isn't bad. they are just arbitrary numbers and sometimes they upset people.

IME, very bright children have needs as great as any other child with a special need. Sometimes certain info can help you advocate better for a child. If a child is autistic, nobody gets upset if they are acessed and given the tools/people/therapies nec to thrive. Kids who are 'gifted' or 'bright' need certain things as well. Sometimes behavior issues are a factor for 'bright' kids and once a parent has certain info, they might rest better knowing they are on the right track.

YK, lots of times people say things to parents of bright children--(esp those who are in school settings) who are needing something 'extra''--that minimize the needs of their children. "So she's smart. It's just a number. it's not like she's Einstein". But nobody would ever say, 'Big deal, he's got CP, he can where a brace. iI's not like he's in a whelchair". It's tricky. I don't tend to speak about my child's abilities (well not tooo much). I like to tell little anecdotes about all my kids and have always downplayed certain things. When my 4 yr old was reading the menu to another 4 yr old friend, the mother laughed and said she didn't know he could read. I never told her, but he'd been reading for a while.

I guess I am saying that for some of us, we don't start threads about this, but do participate in them, perhaps egotistically : without meaning to be so, when they do come up.

I dunno. Tricky subject, for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List