Will you have your child’s IQ tested? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There seem to be a lot of parents who know what their children’s IQs are these days. When do they test for this in school? Do the parent’s have to request it?

I don’t plan on ever having my son’s IQ tested… I don’t care what it is. If he wants to be tested at some point that is his choice but I will not encourage it.

I don’t know… I just feel like is would be a burden on a kid to have a high IQ, or low… Kids with high IQ’s will have unfair expectations places upon them and kids with low IQs will be forever labeled as not being too bright.

Is there any benefit at all in knowing your child’s IQ? I don’t think so. I know some would argue that it IS important to know so your child can get their needs met in whatever special needs program that would benefit them, but I think ALL children should have the special educational opportunities based on their individual needs, not what some number on a piece of paper says.

Anyway, I’m not really looking for a heated debate here… Just a peaceful discussion on whether or not you will have your child tested. Why or why not.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 10:48 AM

Only if it's needed to qualify for a specific program and I think the child can handle it. I personally thought the testing I went through was fun. But it was a week of tests (not all day, but still, a week) and I've read other people say that they felt really stressed out by the testing and the reason behind it. If I think that's how my girls will feel then I'd opt out.

Kids know who's smart and who's not without it. The IQ number is just for the parents and other adults.
#3 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 11:05 AM

no.

we unschool, and I see no need for any sort of potentially harmful labelling of my children.
#4 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
no.

we unschool, and I see no need for any sort of potentially harmful labelling of my children.
In that case do you feel that IQ testing could possibly be a positive thing for children in public school? (That question is for everyone…)

I think my opinion comes easily because my DS will also be unschooled and will learn what he wants at his pace, so whether his IQ is high, low, or average he will have the same learning opportunities. Knowing his IQ would have no benefits.

Though I am still unsure if IQ testing is a good thing for any children.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 11:54 AM

I don't plan to have my kids IQ tested.

I did have mine tested as a child, to qualify me for the gifted program in elementary school.

An IQ is just a number, I don't see how it would be at all helpful for *most* kids, whether they are homeschooled, unschooled or public schooled. There are certain circumstances in which I think it might be helpful (for example, for help in determining what kind of special programs or services a child needs), but most kids don't need it.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 11:58 AM

We had one of our children tested because we were needing it for some leverage. We knew he was 'bright' and needed 'more' but the school needed 'something'.

Hsing is the way to go, and i am sorry i didn't hs from the beginning. Allthough we really did like the little Quaker school we were at. As far as schools go, it was respectful.

Anyway. I wouldn't bother if you don't 'need' the numbers for something.
#7 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 12:00 PM

no.

i went to some public and some private schools. my mom found out my i.q. (153) when i was very young and spent the rest of my educational career putting intense pressure to get straight A's on me.

i never got the A's. groundings, spankings, removal of privileges, forced withdrawal from extracurricular activities, screaming fits, begging, bribes, and threats never got the A's that were supposed to be easy for me to achieve because of my i.q. my grades sunk lower with every passing year and i nearly flunked out of high school. i HATED school. my truancy record was legendary- i was voted "class ferris bueller" (our yearbook's way of saying "person who skips an insane amount of classes") and was not there to accept the award because i was truant on the day of the assembly.

my fear of academic failure and my extreme hatred of grade-based education have kept me out of college. i refused to even take the SATs because i was afraid that even with my big ol' i.q., i would fail them, or worse, pass them with flying colors and face several more years of unrealistic expectations being placed on me because of a number.

the expectations placed on a child based on i.q. are terrible. if anyone tries to come near my daughter with an i.q. test booklet, they're going to walk away with it jammed up their .

if you haven't heard the song "my i.q." by ani difranco, i highly recommend it.
#8 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion
There seem to be a lot of parents who know what their children’s IQs are these days. When do they test for this in school? Do the parent’s have to request it?
the most accurate i.q. tests are the ones that are individually administered - and these are given by the school typically in the course of an evaluation to qualify for special services (learning disabilites, gifted & talented program, etc.)

there are group administered "ability" tests that give you an approximation of your child's i.q. that some districts/states give to all students every few years.
#9 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Lynsage- your mother abused you. Knowing the numbers of one particular test doesn't give anyone the right to abuse a child. If someone would do that to a child over an arbitrary set of numbers, they might find another way to harm their child even without having that particular info. I know the 'IQ' of one of my children, but I have never harmed him because of it.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Btw, I think the song you mentioned is very powerful.
#10 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom
Lynsage- your mother abused you. Knowing the numbers of one particular test doesn't give anyone the right to abuse a child. If someone would do that to a child over an arbitrary set of numbers, they might find another way to harm their child even without having that particular info. I know the 'IQ' of one of my children, but I have never harmed him because of it.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Btw, I think the song you mentioned is very powerful.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I did not mean my post to imply that other parents would do the same things based on I.Q. scores. I am simply sharing my experience.
#11 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Not unless I had a very compelling reason. For example, maybe if she had some sort of brain injury and we were assessing damage or something.....

We intend to hs, and hope to avoid testing of all flavors.
#12 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~emmasmom
there are group administered "ability" tests that give you an approximation of your child's i.q. that some districts/states give to all students every few years.
DD has already done the specific pull out tests for "high ability" students and I assume DS will do the same. We actually homeschool, but wanted her identified just in case we make different choices in the future (for example, they have a creative one day a week pull-out of certain kids, etc...). We have no plans for a full IQ evaluation.

#13 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 01:07 PM

Well to add a slightly different angle... IQ tests can only measure a small aspect of intelligence, that which is mostly related to academic ability. There is also a body intelligence...like that which elite athletes have, the ability to know how to make their bodies perform. An emotional intelligence, being able to understand, communciate, and cope with affect. Social intelligence...etc.

Unfortunately in the current school system, programming is available only as long as the money is available and that is in limited supply. So testing is essential to prioritize those students who need it *most.* I'm not saying this is right, it's just how it is until it can be fixed (if that's possible).
#14 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 01:32 PM

Yes, if necessary to qualify for special programming.
#15 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 01:49 PM

I don't see a need for it unless, as others above mentioned, it was required for entrance to some sort of program.

I'm sort of mistrustful of IQ tests, anyway, especially with children. I do admit I'd be curious, though.

I don't know if my daughter's public school administers them. The gifted program, called the Omega program, at her school does not begin until third (or maybe fourth) grade anyway. Until then, kids who have been identified as gifted are just pulled out once or twice a week and given enrichment activities. No IQ testing has been done.
#16 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My personal experience with having been IQ tested (in first grade I think) was that it provided my parents with one component of knowing my capabilities. I've always been good at tests and though them fun, so I'm sure it didn't bother me any, I probably thought it was a blast though I don't remember it now.

The elementary school I was in through second grade had an awesome G/T program, which I was placed in in 2nd grade. Then we moved to TX and the district had one G/T teacher for 7 schools and it was a joke. My mom was always aggressive in making sure my needs were being met, and recognized that boredom was a challenge for me in school as surely as academics were for my younger sisters. She took me out of public and put me in a private school with a self-paced curriculum for middle school, which both helped me stay challenged academically and sheltered me from the cutthroat social environment of public middle school that so decimated the self-esteem of my friends and sisters. They had high expectations, but recognized that I had weaknesses as well as strengths. I skipped 8th grade, and my parents always made sure I was part of the decision making process for my education from middle school on. It was my choice to go back to public for high school, to go to an early-entrance college program, and to make lousy grades there and land myself back in my public hs for senior year. Then I joined the Navy because I didn't feel I was emotionally mature enough for college yet after my experience of it at 16,

Now, as a "non-traditional" college student, I am far more motivated by my own desire to learn than by my GPA. I've even run into at least one subject I didn't excel at. The only expectations I have to meet now are my own.

If I do ever have reason to test DD's IQ, I won't hold it over her head. It's only one aspect of a child's potential, and only part of the whole picture of intelligence and aptitude.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#17 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faythe
Only if it's needed to qualify for a specific program and I think the child can handle it.
Ditto. Except, I don't see when he'd ever need it to qualify for anything - I've never taken an IQ test and I've been in all kinds of AP & Honors and all that in highschool and college. So I don't expect it to ever come up, especially with homeschooling. But anyway, that would be the only possible time I'd consider it.

And to answer the other question, do I think it's useful in public schools, no because they usually give the test in elementary school, and I don't see how that's useful. Plus, I think it unfairly labels average kids to think they're not "smart enough." It's unfair because most people, obviously, are average, and they are capable of doing plenty of "smart stuff," like math or science.

Single mom of 2 boys
#18 of 18 Old 04-21-2005, 03:41 PM

I was tested for admittance into a program in public school. I remember being a little nervous, but I have always been a good test-taker (not very useful in the real world, but it served me well in academia).

I was admitted, but my parents never told me what my IQ number was. In fact, when I asked them, they wouldn't say. They said that it wasn't important, the test was a hoop to jump through in order to get to do more challenging, interesting things at school.

They knew I was bright; I knew I was bright and the number itself was meaningless. I don't, to this day, know what that number was...I could be a genius and not even know it .

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page